Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problem: Content-Disposition: attachment, with non-ASCII filename (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t88803-problem-content-disposition-attachment-with-non-ascii-filename.html)

Costas Andriotis 10-15-2004 03:26 PM

Problem: Content-Disposition: attachment, with non-ASCII filename

This is rather a IE-specific problem, but maybe someone has a solution. The HTTP headers are correct (Gecko for example understands and downloads/saves the file correctly) but IE does the wrong thing depending on the code:

sf = "Non-ASCII but valid filename.extension"
Response.AppendHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment; filename=""" & sf & """")

proposes and saves under a UTF-8-encoded filename.

Response.AppendHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment; filename=""" & Server.UrlPathEncode(sf) & """")

proposes a seemingly correct filename which, once saved on the disk, is UrlEncoded.

In both cases, if the filename is over a certain length, the filename is lost and IE proposes something random like CAC9QZGT.aspx. Changing the ContentEncoding/Charset of the response has no effect on the proposed filename.

Any ideas on how to solve this? I can't ask the users not to save the files using greek filenames...

I'd appreciate if you also cc any replies to my e-mail address.

TIA
Costas Andriotis