Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to compress on unix? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t886897-how-to-compress-on-unix.html)

zeke 06-15-2004 01:54 PM

How to compress on unix?

Running ActivePerl on Windows2000PRO. Need perl script to 'tell'
connected unix workstation to compress specified files on the unix
drive. Not compressing/zipping on Windows platform. Must use unix
command "compress". Any assist/direction/samples appreciated!

Zeke

John Bokma 06-15-2004 01:58 PM

Re: How to compress on unix?

zeke wrote:

> Running ActivePerl on Windows2000PRO. Need perl script to 'tell'
> connected unix workstation to compress specified files on the unix
> drive. Not compressing/zipping on Windows platform. Must use unix
> command "compress". Any assist/direction/samples appreciated!

man compress
SSH

--
John MexIT: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/
personal page: http://johnbokma.com/

James Willmore 06-15-2004 02:34 PM

Re: How to compress on unix?

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 06:54:10 -0700, zeke wrote:

> Running ActivePerl on Windows2000PRO. Need perl script to 'tell'
> connected unix workstation to compress specified files on the unix
> drive. Not compressing/zipping on Windows platform. Must use unix
> command "compress". Any assist/direction/samples appreciated!

There are various compression modules on CPAN. You could use one of them.
http://search.cpan.org/

Or, you could use the 'system' function (perldoc -f system) to execute the
`compress` command on the *NIX box.

HTH

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
So, what's with this guy Gideon, anyway? And why can't he ever
remember his Bible?

Tintin 06-16-2004 07:55 AM

Re: How to compress on unix?

"zeke" <mfzarno@nsa.gov> wrote in message
news:e1810acf.0406150554.cecb944@posting.google.co m...
> Running ActivePerl on Windows2000PRO. Need perl script to 'tell'
> connected unix workstation to compress specified files on the unix
> drive. Not compressing/zipping on Windows platform. Must use unix
> command "compress". Any assist/direction/samples appreciated!

Why use compress? Better to use gzip or zip.

Fatted 06-16-2004 09:38 AM

Re: How to compress on unix?

Tintin wrote:
> "zeke" <mfzarno@nsa.gov> wrote in message
> news:e1810acf.0406150554.cecb944@posting.google.co m...
>
>>Running ActivePerl on Windows2000PRO. Need perl script to 'tell'
>>connected unix workstation to compress specified files on the unix
>>drive. Not compressing/zipping on Windows platform. Must use unix
>>command "compress". Any assist/direction/samples appreciated!

> Why use compress? Better to use gzip or zip.

I think the clue was in the line `Must use unix command "compress"`.

Tintin 06-16-2004 12:15 PM

Re: How to compress on unix?

"Fatted" <fatted@spymac.com> wrote in message
> Tintin wrote:
> > "zeke" <mfzarno@nsa.gov> wrote in message
> > news:e1810acf.0406150554.cecb944@posting.google.co m...
> >
> >>Running ActivePerl on Windows2000PRO. Need perl script to 'tell'
> >>connected unix workstation to compress specified files on the unix
> >>drive. Not compressing/zipping on Windows platform. Must use unix
> >>command "compress". Any assist/direction/samples appreciated!

> > Why use compress? Better to use gzip or zip.
> >

> I think the clue was in the line `Must use unix command "compress"`.

Quite often "must" means "this is the only way I know how".