Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Perl Misc (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f67-perl-misc.html)
-   -   WHAT IS THE POINT OF FORMMAIL ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t886220-what-is-the-point-of-formmail.html)

Nomen Nescio 04-30-2004 01:30 PM

WHAT IS THE POINT OF FORMMAIL ?
 
WHY ? No one needs this outdated crap anymore.

3 lines of PHP can do what shitty formmail does and better and more safely.

Formmail is the spammers choice, formmail is so controversial that many hosts
ban it outright.

Clunky, outdated **** and if you have an old version it is full of holes and
exploits for hackers and spammers.

**** of formmail you suck. Totally pointless useless ****. go away formmail




3. Matt Wright Formmail attack

The Formmail package has become a favorite tool of spammers.

Formmail allows a website to email form submissions to an email account. If
left unpatched a malicious user can send spam simply by including the list
of target email addresses in an HTTP request to Formmail. This behavior makes
tracking down the origin of the spam difficult because the only place the spammers
IP address is saved is in the Web logs of the affected site.

FormMail is a widely-used web-based e-mail gateway, which allows form-based
input to be emailed to a specified user.

When the form is submitted, the commands will be executed on the host, with
the privileges of the webserver process. This might be leveraged by the attacker
to gain local access to the host.



http://www.securityfocus.com/corpora..._q1_2002.shtml


Uri Guttman 04-30-2004 01:33 PM

Re: WHAT IS THE POINT OF FORMMAIL ?
 
>>>>> "NN" == Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> writes:

NN> WHY ? No one needs this outdated crap anymore.
NN> 3 lines of PHP can do what shitty formmail does and better and
NN> more safely.

WHAT IS THE POINT OF PHP? WHY ARE YOU LIVING? WHY DID YOU SHOUT YOUR
SUBJECT? WHY IS THE SKY BLUE?

WHY ARE YOU ENTERING KILLFILES ALL OVER THE WORLD?

tune in next week to find out the answers on a new episode of 'as the
perl turns'

uri

--
Uri Guttman ------ uri@stemsystems.com -------- http://www.stemsystems.com
--Perl Consulting, Stem Development, Systems Architecture, Design and Coding-
Search or Offer Perl Jobs ---------------------------- http://jobs.perl.org

Charlton Wilbur 04-30-2004 04:14 PM

Re: WHAT IS THE POINT OF FORMMAIL ?
 
>>>>> "NN" == Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> writes:

NN> WHY ? No one needs this outdated crap anymore.

You will find little argument here, except from the stupid,
ill-informed, and lazy.

Charlton



--
cwilbur at chromatico dot net
cwilbur at mac dot com

Robin 04-30-2004 06:04 PM

Re: WHAT IS THE POINT OF FORMMAIL ?
 

"Nomen Nescio" <nobody@dizum.com> wrote in message
news:fc48601f9736c2fbd4ac804219d29e33@dizum.com...
> WHY ? No one needs this outdated crap anymore.
>
> 3 lines of PHP can do what shitty formmail does and better and more

safely.
>
> Formmail is the spammers choice, formmail is so controversial that many

hosts
> ban it outright.
>
> Clunky, outdated **** and if you have an old version it is full of holes

and
> exploits for hackers and spammers.
>
> **** of formmail you suck. Totally pointless useless ****. go away

formmail

I should plug you into a formmail script and see what kinda spam I can send.
jk, but seriously, can't you post to a php group?

-Robin



Matt Garrish 04-30-2004 11:35 PM

Re: WHAT IS THE POINT OF FORMMAIL ?
 

"Robin" <webmaster @ infusedlight . net> wrote in message
news:c6u4gn$677$1@reader2.nmix.net...
>
> "Nomen Nescio" <nobody@dizum.com> wrote in message
> news:fc48601f9736c2fbd4ac804219d29e33@dizum.com...
> > WHY ? No one needs this outdated crap anymore.
> >
> > 3 lines of PHP can do what shitty formmail does and better and more

> safely.
> >
> > Formmail is the spammers choice, formmail is so controversial that many

> hosts
> > ban it outright.
> >
> > Clunky, outdated **** and if you have an old version it is full of holes

> and
> > exploits for hackers and spammers.
> >
> > **** of formmail you suck. Totally pointless useless ****. go away

> formmail
>
> I should plug you into a formmail script and see what kinda spam I can

send.
> jk, but seriously, can't you post to a php group?
>


Hell, why don't you just hook him up with one of your formmail-esque
scripts.

Oh yeah, you can't even write formmail quality scripts yet...

Matt



Robin 05-01-2004 12:59 AM

Re: WHAT IS THE POINT OF FORMMAIL ?
 

"Matt Garrish" <matthew.garrish@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:ipBkc.53889$OU.1198325@news20.bellglobal.com. ..
>
> "Robin" <webmaster @ infusedlight . net> wrote in message
> news:c6u4gn$677$1@reader2.nmix.net...
> >
> > "Nomen Nescio" <nobody@dizum.com> wrote in message
> > news:fc48601f9736c2fbd4ac804219d29e33@dizum.com...
> > > WHY ? No one needs this outdated crap anymore.
> > >
> > > 3 lines of PHP can do what shitty formmail does and better and more

> > safely.
> > >
> > > Formmail is the spammers choice, formmail is so controversial that

many
> > hosts
> > > ban it outright.
> > >
> > > Clunky, outdated **** and if you have an old version it is full of

holes
> > and
> > > exploits for hackers and spammers.
> > >
> > > **** of formmail you suck. Totally pointless useless ****. go away

> > formmail
> >
> > I should plug you into a formmail script and see what kinda spam I can

> send.
> > jk, but seriously, can't you post to a php group?
> >

>
> Hell, why don't you just hook him up with one of your formmail-esque
> scripts.
>
> Oh yeah, you can't even write formmail quality scripts yet...
>
> Matt


I should heheh.... my formail is only 20 lines or so and is so ****ing
insecure, I'm not even using it anymore.





All times are GMT. The time now is 11:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.