Velocity Reviews

-   -   routine/module to translate microsoft extended ascii to plain ascii (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t885600-routine-module-to-translate-microsoft-extended-ascii-to-plain-ascii.html)

James O'Brien 03-04-2004 07:56 PM

routine/module to translate microsoft extended ascii to plain ascii

Does anyone know of a routine/module to do this? I know I can stick
127 regexes in my code, but I'm looking for something more efficient.
Thanks,
--jim

gnari 03-04-2004 08:37 PM

Re: routine/module to translate microsoft extended ascii to plain ascii

"James O'Brien" <jobrien@techtarget.com> wrote in message
news:47a3b6fd.0403041156.5b5ab1a4@posting.google.c om...
> Does anyone know of a routine/module to do this? I know I can stick
> 127 regexes in my code, but I'm looking for something more efficient.

search.cpan.org

gnari

James O'Brien 03-05-2004 04:03 PM

Re: routine/module to translate microsoft extended ascii to plain ascii

Yeah, I searched already.

Ben Morrow 03-05-2004 04:33 PM

jobrien@techtarget.com (James O'Brien) wrote:
> Does anyone know of a routine/module to do this? I know I can stick
> 127 regexes in my code, but I'm looking for something more efficient.

Can you specify a little more clearly what you want to do? Whatever it
is, it can almost certainly be done with the Encode module; but I can't
help you with how as I don't understand what translation you want.
Firstly, what is 'microsoft extended ascii'? Some 8-bit charset?
(cp-1250, at a guess?) Secondly, how do you wish it to be translated
into ASCII: all top-bit-set characters stripped? Do you have some
mapping from characters > 127 to those below (in which case, there's
certainly no need for 127 regexen: one tr/// will do fine)?

Ben

--
And if you wanna make sense / Whatcha looking at me for? (Fiona Apple)
* ben@morrow.me.uk *