Velocity Reviews

-   -   UNIX Find on Windows (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t885123-unix-find-on-windows.html)

Brian 02-10-2004 11:13 PM

UNIX Find on Windows

I'm fairly new to using Perl on Windows. I need to find all of the
files in a folder and its sub folders that match a pattern. On UNIX I'd
do:

$FOUND = `find $DIRROOT -name "$PATTERN" -print`;

Is there a way to do this on Windows using Perl and/or native Windows
commands?

Brian

Eric Schwartz 02-10-2004 11:51 PM

Re: UNIX Find on Windows

Brian <brian.getridofthis.bygland@boeingDELETEthis.com > writes:
> I'm fairly new to using Perl on Windows. I need to find all of the
> files in a folder and its sub folders that match a pattern. On UNIX I'd
> do:
>
> $FOUND = `find $DIRROOT -name "$PATTERN" -print`;
>
> Is there a way to do this on Windows using Perl and/or native Windows
> commands?

perldoc File::Find

also, see find2perl (in the standard distribution on Unix; I'd assume
also on Windows), which converts find commands into equivalent (but
not necessarily optimal) Perl programs that use File::Find.

-=Eric
-- Blair Houghton.

Tad McClellan 02-10-2004 11:59 PM

Re: UNIX Find on Windows

Eric Schwartz <emschwar@pobox.com> wrote:
> Brian <brian.getridofthis.bygland@boeingDELETEthis.com > writes:

>> I need to find all of the
>> files in a folder and its sub folders that match a pattern.

>> Is there a way to do this on Windows using Perl

> perldoc File::Find
>
> also, see find2perl

See also also:

http://www.perl.com/language/ppt/src/find/

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
tadmc@augustmail.com Perl programming

l v 02-11-2004 03:58 AM

Re: UNIX Find on Windows

Brian wrote:
> I'm fairly new to using Perl on Windows. I need to find all of the
> files in a folder and its sub folders that match a pattern. On UNIX I'd
> do:
>
> $FOUND = `find $DIRROOT -name "$PATTERN" -print`;
>
> Is there a way to do this on Windows using Perl and/or native Windows
> commands?
>
> Brian

If you must backtic

$FOUND = `dir /b /s c:\\dir\\*.txt`;

/b give just the file name
/s search sub dirs

However, depending on how much of a pattern $PATTERN is, you might want
to use File::Find as others have suggested.

Len

Michele Dondi 02-11-2004 02:44 PM

Re: UNIX Find on Windows

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:51:30 -0700, Eric Schwartz <emschwar@pobox.com>
wrote:

>also, see find2perl (in the standard distribution on Unix; I'd assume
>also on Windows), which converts find commands into equivalent (but

Yes, it's there!

Michele
- Xah Lee trolling on clpmisc,

Michele Dondi 02-11-2004 02:44 PM

Re: UNIX Find on Windows

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:13:36 GMT, Brian
<brian.getridofthis.bygland@boeingDELETEthis.com > wrote:

>$FOUND = `find $DIRROOT -name "$PATTERN" -print`;

BTW, it may be an idiosincrasy of mine, but I'd rather open() a find
cmd in pipe and read 'while <$fh>' as usual...

>Is there a way to do this on Windows using Perl and/or native Windows
>commands?

Using Perl: File::Find. Using native Windows commands: dir /b [/s]
(but may not do exactlty what you mean!). Alternatively I, for one,
have a straight find port from UNXUTILS.

But AFAICT I've never used a statement like the one above, the
rationale being *IMHO* that if the task is simple enough to fit nicely
in a series of piped commands on the cmd line, then find is the right
tool for this, and Perl may not even be necessary whereas if the task
is complex enough to deserve the full power of Perl, then I'd use
File::Find instead.

Michele
- Xah Lee trolling on clpmisc,

Brian 02-11-2004 04:34 PM

Re: UNIX Find on Windows

Thank you Eric.

Brian 02-11-2004 04:39 PM

Re: UNIX Find on Windows

Thanks. I'll look at File::Find. This is a part of a fairly complex
script that I'm porting from UNIX to Windows. I'm trying to remove all
of the backtick/system commands that I can to make to portable.

Trent Curry 02-18-2004 09:05 PM

Re: UNIX Find on Windows

I.E. wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:13:36 GMT, Brian
> <brian.getridofthis.bygland@boeingDELETEthis.com > wrote:
>
>> I'm fairly new to using Perl on Windows. I need to find all of the
>> files in a folder and its sub folders that match a pattern. On UNIX
>> I'd do:
>>
>> $FOUND = `find $DIRROOT -name "$PATTERN" -print`;
>>
>> Is there a way to do this on Windows using Perl and/or native Windows
>> commands?
>>
>> Brian

> Have you given Cygwin a try? www.cygwin.com

Find seems to work well in cygwin, but be aware some commands are
actually wrappers of the built-in Windows equivelent. Such as netstat.
This may be going a little off scope, I just mean it a warning to anyone
who mistakenly has the impression that everything in it is pure Unix.
There was a discussion on this a while ago in one of the Unix groups.

--
Trent Curry

perl -e
'($s=qq/e29716770256864702379602c6275605/)=~s!([0-9a-f]{2})!pack("h2",$1
)!eg;print(reverse("$s")."\n");'

Angel 02-22-2004 10:44 PM

Re: UNIX Find on Windows

Brian <brian.getridofthis.bygland@boeingDELETEthis.com > wrote in message news:<402965A0.ECC43D08@boeingDELETEthis.com>...
> I'm fairly new to using Perl on Windows. I need to find all of the
> files in a folder and its sub folders that match a pattern. On UNIX I'd
> do:
>
> $FOUND = `find $DIRROOT -name "$PATTERN" -print`;
>
> Is there a way to do this on Windows using Perl and/or native Windows
> commands?
>
> Brian

Hi Brian,

If you want to find all of the files in a folder and its sub folders
that match
a pattern on Windows using Perl and/or native Windows commands I
cannot help.
I just do not have enough experience with Perl yet.

If the task is just to find all of the files in a folder and its sub
folders that
match a pattern no matter what kind of tool you will use, I would
suggest egrep.

egrep for Windows is a part of "GNU utilities for Win32". You can
download it from here:

http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

You can use something like this:

egrep -lr PATTERN *.*