Velocity Reviews

-   -   forward the request to a window with specific parameters (please help) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t881302-forward-the-request-to-a-window-with-specific-parameters-please-help.html)

jrefactors@hotmail.com 12-23-2004 09:56 PM

forward the request to a window with specific parameters (please help)

page0.asp->page1.jsp

When the user click submit button in page0.asp, it will post the form
request to page1.jsp.
page0.asp and page1.jsp are in separate machines. In page1.jsp, based
on the parameter
interfaceName, it will forward to different jsp pages. However, we want
to forward the request
to a window with parameter like the following, without the menu bar and
toolbar.

The question is how to forward the request to a window like that?

window.open("test2.jsp",null,

"height=500,width=500,status=yes,toolbar=no,menuba r=no,location=no");

//page1.jsp
<%
String interfaceName = request.getParameter("interfaceName");
if (interfaceName != null)
{ if (interfaceName.equalsIgnoreCase("id1"))
url="/id1.jsp";
else if (interfaceName.equalsIgnoreCase("id2"))
url="/id2.jsp";
else if (interfaceName.equalsIgnoreCase("id3"))
url="/id3.jsp";
//etc...

request.getRequestDispatcher(url).forward(request, response);
}
%>

Please help and advise. thanks!!

jrefactors@hotmail.com 12-23-2004 10:43 PM

Re: forward the request to a window with specific parameters (please help)

Andrew Thompson wrote:

> Controlled intranet, or on the wilds of the internet?

This is intranet web application. And this is exactly what customer
what.

please advise. thanks!!

Ivo 12-23-2004 11:30 PM

Re: forward the request to a window with specific parameters (please help)

<jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
> > > However, we want
> > > to forward the request
> > > to a window with parameter like the following, without the menu
> > > bar and toolbar.

> > Controlled intranet, or on the wilds of the internet?

I don't know your parameters, but the principle of pop-ups is this:

window.open('someurl.html','windowname','features' );

See:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/a...ods/open_0.asp
http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/domr...dow_ref76.html

A thought: making a window not resizable is silly. People who have no desire
to resize the window will never notice anything either way, while those that
do want to change the size and find it impossible to do, will rightly wonder
why.

> This is intranet web application. And this is exactly what customer
> what.

Nevertheless, if your customer is not a web expert (their request for a
pop-up proves this), you should inform them of the downsides of popups. This
may be a controlled environment, where you may have carefully disabled all
pop-up blocking software, but still the majority of users (your customer's
employees) *hate* pop-ups, just because they pop up. This may not be
rational, but it is a fact. No amount of programming can alter that. And
right they are: pop-ups break the natural flow of webpages, mess up their
preference settings, etc. With modern browsers capable of DHTML and XML HTTP
requests, there is nothing that cannot be done without pop-ups.

The same in other words: it is your responsibility to talk to your customer
and stop them wanting pop-ups at all. As long as they see some good in
pop-ups, you have not done your work properly.
--
Ivo