Velocity Reviews

-   -   Change main window href from IE search panel, after user has left my main page? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t880056-change-main-window-href-from-ie-search-panel-after-user-has-left-my-main-page.html)

Robert Oschler 10-12-2004 06:53 PM

Change main window href from IE search panel, after user has left my main page?

I know how to load a document into the "Search" panel/sidebar in Internet
Explorer. I also know that I can use the "window.opener" property, from the
"Search" sidebar document, to change the main window's URL *as long as the
user has not navigated away from my web page* that loaded the document into
the "Search" sidebar.

But I would like to know if there is a way to change the main window's URL
even *after* the user has navigated away from my main web page, which means
that for the "Search" sidebar document, the "window.opener" property is now
invalid. Otherwise, the links in the "Search" sidebar won't be very useful,
now that the user has left my main web page (but the "Search" Sidebar still
shows my "Search" sidebar document).

Thanks.

--
Robert Oschler
http://www.robotsrule.com/phpBB2/

Ivo 10-12-2004 08:34 PM

Re: Change main window href from IE search panel, after user has left my main page?

"Robert Oschler" wrote
> I know how to load a document into the "Search" panel/sidebar in Internet
> Explorer. I also know that I can use the "window.opener" property, from

the
> "Search" sidebar document, to change the main window's URL *as long as the
> user has not navigated away from my web page* that loaded the document

into
> the "Search" sidebar.

You do not need window.opener. You do not even need Javascript. Just specify
target="_main" in the Search pane's document's links...
--
Ivo