Velocity Reviews

-   -   how to access asp.net application (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t87993-how-to-access-asp-net-application.html)

Calvin X 10-05-2004 04:30 PM

how to access asp.net application

hi everyone, this may seem like a dumb question but here goes.

I developed an asp.net app, works great, uploaded to production server and
it works when tested from this server. But when I try to access the app
from another machine (connecting to the server) I get the page cannot be
found page. I tried:

servername/appname
ip address/appname

is there something I am missing? the app is configured to allow anon
access. Any help or ideas would be great thanks

Calvin X

=?Utf-8?B?S2VuIENveCBbTWljcm9zb2Z0IE1WUF0=?= 10-05-2004 05:41 PM

RE: how to access asp.net application

It sounds like something is set in IIS to limit access except to the
localhost. You could get your admin to check for restrictions on IP or host
names.

If it is Windows Server 2003 it might be part of the default lockdown that
needs unlocking.

Calvin X 10-05-2004 05:58 PM

Re: how to access asp.net application

I forgot to mention that this computer has 2 ip addresses assigned to it and
they are both set to SSL websites. I have added a third ip address and
assigned the site to this address but it will not respond to that address
either.

I removed the win 2003 IE security lockdown but this did not change
anything. Can still browse from the local host but not from external
computer

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <BANSPAMken_cox@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> It sounds like something is set in IIS to limit access except to the
> localhost. You could get your admin to check for restrictions on IP or
> host
> names.
>
> If it is Windows Server 2003 it might be part of the default lockdown that
> needs unlocking.
>

> "Calvin X" wrote:
>
>> hi everyone, this may seem like a dumb question but here goes.
>>
>> I developed an asp.net app, works great, uploaded to production server
>> and
>> it works when tested from this server. But when I try to access the app
>> from another machine (connecting to the server) I get the page cannot be
>> found page. I tried:
>>
>> servername/appname
>> ip address/appname
>>

>> is there something I am missing? the app is configured to allow anon
>> access. Any help or ideas would be great thanks
>>
>> Calvin X

=?Utf-8?B?S2VuIENveCBbTWljcm9zb2Z0IE1WUF0=?= 10-05-2004 06:13 PM

Re: how to access asp.net application

You might want to try using just one IP address without SSL until you find
the issue.

I wonder if, when you are localhost, IE is passing through your
administrator authentication but when you are remote, that ticket is not
available?

Are there any file access permissions that could be causing this?

Calvin X 10-05-2004 07:16 PM

Re: how to access asp.net application

I installed this application onto a different windows 2003 server that is
not using SSL and simply changed the port to 81 and the application worked
from a remote location. My problem is now how do I install a regular
asp.net application onto a windows 2003 server that currently has two ssl
enabled websites and only two ip address? I think this is the wrong forum
for this question though.

Thanks for the help Ken.

=?Utf-8?B?S3VtYXJSZWRkaQ==?= 10-05-2004 09:29 PM

Re: how to access asp.net application

How about this. I know you are using Windows 2003 server, which has IIS6, but
on my IIS5.1, I know there is something called Allow IIS to Control password,
which actually limits the access from localhost, for the user
IUSER_MACHINENAME. On my IIS, this property if on Authentication Methods
popup, which comes when you click Edit button on Directory security. I dont
know what tabs on IIS6.0. You figure that out. This is just what I think, it
may not be even right. Let me know if this is true and resolves ur issue.

Kumar