Velocity Reviews

-   -   Blocking ads and cookies from doubleclick (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t8768-blocking-ads-and-cookies-from-doubleclick.html)

ratbob 05-29-2004 10:04 PM

Blocking ads and cookies from doubleclick

Every once in a while I get a message saying the
connection to ad.doubleclick.net has been terminated and
data may have been transferred. Then I have to dismiss the
message box every time I look at another page on that
website because the ad is always in the top of the page.
Is there a way to totally block this stinking
doubleclick thing? I have Mozilla 1.6.

[PPr]Verstoerer 05-29-2004 10:22 PM

Re: Blocking ads and cookies from doubleclick

ratbob wrote:

> Every once in a while I get a message saying the
> connection to ad.doubleclick.net has been terminated and
> data may have been transferred. Then I have to dismiss the
> message box every time I look at another page on that
> website because the ad is always in the top of the page.
> Is there a way to totally block this stinking
> doubleclick thing? I have Mozilla 1.6.

Hi,

just right-klick on the image and chose "Block Images from this server".

You can also install the plugin Adblock http://adblock.mozdev.org/ where
you can specify pattern for images which shouldn't shown.
AFAIK Block Images is better, cos the image isn't loaded from the
server. With AdBlock the image is retrieved from the server but isn't
shown on the page.

The is also Flashblock http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ which i use, so the
annoying flash adv. arn't shown. If i want to see a flash animation, i
have to click on it.

[PPr]Verstoerer

[PPr]Verstoerer 05-29-2004 10:29 PM

Re: Blocking ads and cookies from doubleclick

[PPr]Verstoerer wrote:

[snip]
> You can also install the plugin Adblock http://adblock.mozdev.org/ where
> you can specify pattern for images which shouldn't shown.
> AFAIK Block Images is better, cos the image isn't loaded from the
> server. With AdBlock the image is retrieved from the server but isn't
> shown on the page.

I just checked the FAQ from AdBlock and since ver 0.4 Adblock is also
blocking the download of the content. Looks like i have to update ;)

[PPr]Verstoerer

ratbob 05-30-2004 04:35 AM

[PPr]Verstoerer wrote:

> ratbob wrote:
>
>> Every once in a while I get a message saying the
>> connection to ad.doubleclick.net has been terminated and
>> data may have been transferred. Then I have to dismiss the
>> message box every time I look at another page on that
>> website because the ad is always in the top of the page.
>> Is there a way to totally block this stinking
>> doubleclick thing? I have Mozilla 1.6.

> Hi,
>
> just right-klick on the image and chose "Block Images from this server".
>
> You can also install the plugin Adblock http://adblock.mozdev.org/ where
> you can specify pattern for images which shouldn't shown.
> AFAIK Block Images is better, cos the image isn't loaded from the
> server. With AdBlock the image is retrieved from the server but isn't
> shown on the page.
>
> The is also Flashblock http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ which i use, so the
> annoying flash adv. arn't shown. If i want to see a flash animation, i
> have to click on it.
>

> [PPr]Verstoerer

Thanks. The Adblock download seems to be working great.

Electrick Gypsy 05-31-2004 12:45 PM

ratbob wrote:
> Every once in a while I get a message saying the
> connection to ad.doubleclick.net has been terminated and
> data may have been transferred. Then I have to dismiss the
> message box every time I look at another page on that
> website because the ad is always in the top of the page.
> Is there a way to totally block this stinking
> doubleclick thing? I have Mozilla 1.6.

Alternatively you could download this little program to do it for you.
Think the link still works.
http://www.nsclean.com/0click.html