Velocity Reviews

-   -   Fullscreen (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t875000-fullscreen.html)

Traveller 01-09-2004 09:06 AM

Fullscreen

Hello!

I've got this little script that if one presses a link, a full screen
opens. Is it possible that screen opens itself full screen? What I
would like to do, is that my opening page starts with a full screen.

I hope someone can help.

regards

martin

lallous 01-09-2004 10:08 AM

Re: Fullscreen

Hello,

It is possible to have the page open itself in fullscreen automatically.
You would need two pages AFAIK.
The first page would do a window.open() to open the second page in a full
screen mode.
Then the second page can close the opener of the opener closes itself.

Stuart Palmer 01-09-2004 11:15 AM

Re: Fullscreen

You can't close the first instance of a webpage i.e in this case open page
one, open with window and close the opener, you will get an alert message.

Stu

Richard Cornford 01-09-2004 04:09 PM

Re: Fullscreen

"Krzysztof Kubiak" <k_kubiak@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>Really?
>>
>><script type="text/javascript">
>>window.opener = window;
>>window.close();
>></script>
>>

>This one's really tricky - I didn't know one could
>do that. Very nice !!!

Because there are reasonably common browsers where it doesn't work (and
indeed throws exceptions) it can still be argued that it is not possible
to *reliably* close a window that has not been opened with JavaScript.
And it is possible that browsers that currently allow it will not allow
it in future (though Randy will point out that no one seems to be in a
hurry to fix this "bug" if I don't mention that first).

But you should also consider the consequences of this action for the
user. Closing the browser that they opened and have been using may
deprive them of their browsing history. Say, the possibility of going
back to their last page of search results and carrying on their
research. Shutting down the software that someone else is using without
their permission should be considered an unacceptable thing to be
attempting. It will annoy some and reflect badly on any site that does
it, no matter how important the authors of that site misguidedly thinks
doing that may be.

Richard.

Lee 01-09-2004 04:35 PM

Re: Fullscreen

Richard Cornford said:

>"Krzysztof Kubiak" <k_kubiak@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>>Really?
>>>
>>><script type="text/javascript">
>>>window.opener = window;
>>>window.close();
>>></script>
>>>

>>This one's really tricky - I didn't know one could
>>do that. Very nice !!!

>Because there are reasonably common browsers where it doesn't work (and
>indeed throws exceptions) it can still be argued that it is not possible
>to *reliably* close a window that has not been opened with JavaScript.
>And it is possible that browsers that currently allow it will not allow
>it in future (though Randy will point out that no one seems to be in a
>hurry to fix this "bug" if I don't mention that first).
>
>But you should also consider the consequences of this action for the
>user. Closing the browser that they opened and have been using may
>deprive them of their browsing history. Say, the possibility of going
>back to their last page of search results and carrying on their
>research. Shutting down the software that someone else is using without
>their permission should be considered an unacceptable thing to be
>attempting. It will annoy some and reflect badly on any site that does
>it, no matter how important the authors of that site misguidedly thinks
>doing that may be.

Absolutely!

Among the most despicable things that a site can do are:
- Close my window.
- Change any feature of my window (particularly make it fullscreen).
- Play music.

DB McGee 01-09-2004 06:11 PM

Re: Fullscreen

Lee wrote:
> Absolutely!
>
> Among the most despicable things that a site can do are:
> - Close my window.
> - Change any feature of my window (particularly make it fullscreen).
> - Play music.

Hehe :)

Play music is definitely one of the most annoying things. And I'm finding that
with more and more sites being developed with increasing amounts of Flash, that
there is a corresponding tendency to add audio elements. Nothing worse than
madly hunting around for the control to mute the audio - if there even is one!

Richard Cornford 01-09-2004 08:20 PM

Re: Fullscreen

"DB McGee" <noreply@noreply.com> wrote in message
news:09CLb.44551$AJB.1042@news04.bloor.is.net.cabl e.rogers.com...
<snip>
>>Among the most despicable things that a site can do are:
>>- Close my window.
>>- Change any feature of my window (particularly make it fullscreen).
>>- Play music.

<snip>
>... . Nothing worse than madly hunting around for
>the control to mute the audio - if there even is one!

In the absence of an unambiguous and evident mute control the browser's
back button shuts noisy sites up fairly quickly. ;-)

Richard.

Richard Cornford 01-10-2004 12:00 AM

Re: Fullscreen

"HikksNotAtHome" <hikksnotathome@aol.com> wrote in message
>>In the absence of an unambiguous and evident mute control the
>>browser's back button shuts noisy sites up fairly quickly. ;-)

>Theres no back button, remember? I closed the original window <g>

Drat, its got to be Alt+F4 then. :)

Richard.

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen 01-10-2004 02:44 AM

Re: Fullscreen

hikksnotathome@aol.com (HikksNotAtHome) writes:

> The irony is that I would actually love to see it fixed in IE/Opera. Maybe
> Lasse can test it in the newer Opera that he has to see what it does there.

It's not just me, anybody wanting to be pre-beta-tester can download it.
See <URL:http://my.opera.com/forums/showthread.php?s=eb623d127146b3f679d753ec0206c2b4& threadid=39541>

Actully, Opera allows me to close the window with no warning, just by
calling window.close. Then I press Ctrl-Z to reopen it, so it's not a
big loss :) I use MDI, so it won't close the application.

/L
--
Lasse Reichstein Nielsen - lrn@hotpop.com

Jim Ley 01-10-2004 01:45 PM

Re: Fullscreen

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 00:00:49 -0000, "Richard Cornford"
<Richard@litotes.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>"HikksNotAtHome" <hikksnotathome@aol.com> wrote in message
>>>In the absence of an unambiguous and evident mute control the
>>>browser's back button shuts noisy sites up fairly quickly. ;-)

>>Theres no back button, remember? I closed the original window <g>

>Drat, its got to be Alt+F4 then. :)

backspace or the "forwards/backwards" special keys that even my laptop
manages...

Jim.