Velocity Reviews

-   -   standard to metric converter program (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t873412-standard-to-metric-converter-program.html)

piaseckiac 10-27-2003 06:42 PM

standard to metric converter program

I am producing a website on air and need a link to change the entire
website from standard to metric for temperature, pressure,
miles-kilometers, and volume. Thank you.

Joe 10-27-2003 06:51 PM

Re: standard to metric converter program

"piaseckiac" <piaseckiac@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:6482d1a0.0310271042.104e182e@posting.google.c om...
> I am producing a website on air and need a link to change the entire
> website from standard to metric for temperature, pressure,
> miles-kilometers, and volume. Thank you.

http://www.initium.demon.co.uk/converts/metimp.htm. That what your looking
for?
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For Train Information, The Latest News & Best photos around check out the

Evertjan. 10-27-2003 07:02 PM

piaseckiac wrote on 27 okt 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
> I am producing a website on air and need a link to change the entire
> website from standard to metric for temperature, pressure,
> miles-kilometers, and volume. Thank you.

I thought metric was standard?
<http://dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/Humor/Funny-Metric-Chart.html>

More comprehensive:
<http://ts.nist.gov/ts/htdocs/200/202/mpo_home.htm>

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Lee 10-28-2003 02:31 AM

HikksNotAtHome said:

>In article <Xns9421CBDDF9C3Aeejj99@194.109.133.29>, "Evertjan."
><exjxw.hannivoort@interxnl.net> writes:
>
>>I thought metric was standard?

>Its an Americanism to call inches/feet and such "Standard" and is indicative of
>a lack of understanding of the fact that the web is world wide, where the
>"Standard" is inded Metric (as you knew).

No, that's a silly, bigoted notion. It has nothing to do with
lack of understanding of the web. It's the very reasonable
result of having been taught in school, in marketing materials,
and in industry that there are two measuring systems, called
"Standard" and "Metric".

Froogle for a "standard socket set" and for "metric socket set"
and you'll see that the point of confusion is not in the OP.
That's simply the most common way the systems are referenced.
It's no more incorrect than calling an apartment a "flat".

Evertjan. 10-28-2003 12:44 PM

Lee wrote on 28 okt 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
> No, that's a silly, bigoted notion. It has nothing to do with
> lack of understanding of the web. It's the very reasonable
> result of having been taught in school, in marketing materials,
> and in industry that there are two measuring systems, called
> "Standard" and "Metric".
>
> Froogle for a "standard socket set" and for "metric socket set"

Those webpages are ment for a country/region specific "audience".
Usenet, or at least this NG is pretty worldwide.

> and you'll see that the point of confusion is not in the OP.
> That's simply the most common way the systems are referenced.

But it is. It is an affront to the cyberworld to take it for granted that
the readers of a posing know, even without specific warning, that the OP
includes American, no U.S. specific meaning to a keyword.

If I wrote "standard-" vs "u.s.-measures" you would be confused perhaps
too.

Even that lack of understanding inside the U.S. has led to a multimillion
dollar crash on Mars.

> It's no more incorrect than calling an apartment a "flat".

Again, this depends on the audience.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Lee 10-28-2003 02:39 PM

Evertjan. said:

>Lee wrote on 28 okt 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
>> No, that's a silly, bigoted notion. It has nothing to do with
>> lack of understanding of the web. It's the very reasonable
>> result of having been taught in school, in marketing materials,
>> and in industry that there are two measuring systems, called
>> "Standard" and "Metric".
>>
>> Froogle for a "standard socket set" and for "metric socket set"

>Those webpages are ment for a country/region specific "audience".
>Usenet, or at least this NG is pretty worldwide.

The point is to demonstrate that "standard" is a correct way
to refer to the "English" measurement system in US English,
and is not, as the previous poster suggested, meant to suggest
that it is the international standard system of measurement.

>> and you'll see that the point of confusion is not in the OP.
>> That's simply the most common way the systems are referenced.

>But it is. It is an affront to the cyberworld to take it for granted that
>the readers of a posing know, even without specific warning, that the OP
>includes American, no U.S. specific meaning to a keyword.

Nonsense. Any English-speaker who can't figure out what
"standard" means when contrasted with "metric" shouldn't
be trying to use a keyboard without supervision.

>If I wrote "standard-" vs "u.s.-measures" you would be confused perhaps
>too.

No. The contrast makes it obvious.

>Even that lack of understanding inside the U.S. has led to a multimillion
>dollar crash on Mars.

Not at all. That crash was caused by the complete failure
to specify the measurement system, not by misunderstanding
"standard" vs "metric".

>> It's no more incorrect than calling an apartment a "flat".

>Again, this depends on the audience.

No, as long as the meaning is as obvious as "standard" is,
when contrasted to "metric", it's perfectly reasonable for
a person to post in their local idiomatic language.

I refuse to believe that anybody who responded to the OP was
confused by the meaning. They were simply looking for a
chance to tweak an American nose. There are plenty of good
examples of American stupidity in this newsgroup and elsewhere,
but there are also plenty of good examples of anti-American
bigotry and ignorance.

Evertjan. 10-28-2003 03:19 PM

Re: standard to metric converter program

Lee wrote on 28 okt 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
> I refuse to believe that anybody who responded to the OP was
> confused by the meaning. They were simply looking for a
> chance to tweak an American nose.

As "they" was me, you could have seen my jokingly staged confusion was
followed by a correct help link, more to the OP's point but forgotten in
the follow up.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Dr John Stockton 10-28-2003 04:08 PM

Re: standard to metric converter program

JRS: In article <6482d1a0.0310271042.104e182e@posting.google.com >, seen
in news:comp.lang.javascript, piaseckiac <piaseckiac@hotmail.com> posted
at Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:42:48 :-
>I am producing a website on air and need a link to change the entire
>website from standard to metric for temperature, pressure,
>miles-kilometers, and volume. Thank you.

Obviously an isolationist who does not realise, or does not care, or
does not understand, that Internet News is an international medium; and
that, as regards units of measurement, the USA is the odd man out, with
everywhere else using the SI ("metric") system for almost all purposes.

Well, perhaps not the only one; perhaps Myanmar and Liberia still use
Imperial units.

Measurements of ambient temperature look strange in Kelvins, though.

--
John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk / ??.Stockton@physics.org
Correct <= 4-line sig. separator as above, a line precisely "-- " (SoRFC1036)

Lee 10-28-2003 06:03 PM

Evertjan. said:

>Lee wrote on 28 okt 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
>> I refuse to believe that anybody who responded to the OP was
>> confused by the meaning. They were simply looking for a
>> chance to tweak an American nose.

>As "they" was me, you could have seen my jokingly staged confusion was
>followed by a correct help link, more to the OP's point but forgotten in
>the follow up.

No, actually, I don't think I ever read your original response,
and wouldn't have objected to some good-natured teasing about it.
My objection is to the characterization of the use of the term
"standard" as:

"... indicative of a lack of understanding of the fact that
the web is world wide, ..."

when, in fact, the term "standard" in this case has become an
idiomatic name for the measurement system, which has lost most
of the original meaning of being used universally.

At one time it was common to call it the "English" system of
measurement, but that became confusing when the UK dropped it.

RIck Measham 10-28-2003 07:50 PM

piaseckiac wrote:

> I am producing a website on air and need a link to change the entire
> website from standard to metric for temperature, pressure,
> miles-kilometers, and volume. Thank you.

If you're just looking for a way to convert static imperial values to static
metric values, then Google is your friend. Do a goodle search for:

20 inches in centimeters

It knows a hell of a lot, including imaginary numbers:

sqrt(-4)

returns "-2i" !!!

There's a huge number of units it understands for conversions too:

100 pounds * 1 inch in calories

Hope this helps!
Cheers
Rick

--
Obviously the reply-to is a fake. Just change the 'spam-' to 'i' so that the
result sounds like why you go to an optometerist.