Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Java (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f30-java.html)
-   -   Where to find decent free or cheap Java hosting? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t869564-where-to-find-decent-free-or-cheap-java-hosting.html)

Daniel Pitts 03-19-2012 04:59 PM

Where to find decent free or cheap Java hosting?
 
I've been working on my AT-Robots program
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/at-robots2-j/>, and I'm getting ready
to create a "Tournament Server" for it. Basically, what that means is a
webapp where someone can upload their robot definitions to compete
against the others that have already been uploaded. I think this is a
necessary next step in order to start building a community around my
project, but I don't really have excess capital to spend on an otherwise
free project.

I do have my own personal "server", but it lives in my house and isn't
very "stable". I've also looked into nosupportlinuxhosting.com, and
while I can get Java to start up with a *lot* of finagling, it doesn't
seem likely to be useful to me as a host for this kind of work.

Just thinking out loud here, maybe the free (for a year) Micro Instance
in EC2 is the way to go, but I don't know if that's "big" enough for a
Java web-app. Anyone have experience with that?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. I'm looking to spend < $5/mo
if possible. At this point traffic will be fairly minimal, and free is
best, but it has to work well enough when it is used. I'm not concerned
about scalability at first, since when I do need to scale, I'll probably
be able to monetize at least a little and use that to pay for a real host.

Thanks everyone,
Daniel.

Knute Johnson 03-19-2012 05:06 PM

Re: Where to find decent free or cheap Java hosting?
 
On 3/19/2012 9:59 AM, Daniel Pitts wrote:
> I've been working on my AT-Robots program
> <https://sourceforge.net/projects/at-robots2-j/>, and I'm getting ready
> to create a "Tournament Server" for it. Basically, what that means is a
> webapp where someone can upload their robot definitions to compete
> against the others that have already been uploaded. I think this is a
> necessary next step in order to start building a community around my
> project, but I don't really have excess capital to spend on an otherwise
> free project.
>
> I do have my own personal "server", but it lives in my house and isn't
> very "stable". I've also looked into nosupportlinuxhosting.com, and
> while I can get Java to start up with a *lot* of finagling, it doesn't
> seem likely to be useful to me as a host for this kind of work.
>
> Just thinking out loud here, maybe the free (for a year) Micro Instance
> in EC2 is the way to go, but I don't know if that's "big" enough for a
> Java web-app. Anyone have experience with that?
>
> Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. I'm looking to spend < $5/mo
> if possible. At this point traffic will be fairly minimal, and free is
> best, but it has to work well enough when it is used. I'm not concerned
> about scalability at first, since when I do need to scale, I'll probably
> be able to monetize at least a little and use that to pay for a real host.
>
> Thanks everyone,
> Daniel.


What exactly to you mean by Java hosting?

--

Knute Johnson

Paul Cager 03-19-2012 05:10 PM

Re: Where to find decent free or cheap Java hosting?
 
On Mar 19, 4:59*pm, Daniel Pitts
<newsgroup.nos...@virtualinfinity.net> wrote:
> I've been working on my AT-Robots program
> <https://sourceforge.net/projects/at-robots2-j/>, and I'm getting ready
> to create a "Tournament Server" for it. *Basically, what that means is a
> webapp where someone can upload their robot definitions to compete
> against the others that have already been uploaded. *I think this is a
> necessary next step in order to start building a community around my
> project, but I don't really have excess capital to spend on an otherwise
> free project.
>
> I do have my own personal "server", but it lives in my house and isn't
> very "stable". *I've also looked into nosupportlinuxhosting.com, and
> while I can get Java to start up with a *lot* of finagling, it doesn't
> seem likely to be useful to me as a host for this kind of work.
>
> Just thinking out loud here, maybe the free (for a year) Micro Instance
> in EC2 is the way to go, but I don't know if that's "big" enough for a
> Java web-app. Anyone have experience with that?
>
> Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. I'm looking to spend < $5/mo
> if possible. *At this point traffic will be fairly minimal, and free is
> best, but it has to work well enough when it is used. *I'm not concerned
> about scalability at first, since when I do need to scale, I'll probably
> be able to monetize at least a little and use that to pay for a real host..


If you are happy grubbing about with Linux you could try looking at
www.lowendbox.com for cheap virtual servers (some less than $5 /
month). Java doesn't play well with OpenVZ so I'd avoid that, but Xen,
KVM etc should all be OK.

Daniel Pitts 03-19-2012 06:04 PM

Re: Where to find decent free or cheap Java hosting?
 
On 3/19/12 10:06 AM, Knute Johnson wrote:
> On 3/19/2012 9:59 AM, Daniel Pitts wrote:
>> I've been working on my AT-Robots program
>> <https://sourceforge.net/projects/at-robots2-j/>, and I'm getting ready
>> to create a "Tournament Server" for it. Basically, what that means is a
>> webapp where someone can upload their robot definitions to compete
>> against the others that have already been uploaded. I think this is a
>> necessary next step in order to start building a community around my
>> project, but I don't really have excess capital to spend on an otherwise
>> free project.
>>
>> I do have my own personal "server", but it lives in my house and isn't
>> very "stable". I've also looked into nosupportlinuxhosting.com, and
>> while I can get Java to start up with a *lot* of finagling, it doesn't
>> seem likely to be useful to me as a host for this kind of work.
>>
>> Just thinking out loud here, maybe the free (for a year) Micro Instance
>> in EC2 is the way to go, but I don't know if that's "big" enough for a
>> Java web-app. Anyone have experience with that?
>>
>> Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. I'm looking to spend < $5/mo
>> if possible. At this point traffic will be fairly minimal, and free is
>> best, but it has to work well enough when it is used. I'm not concerned
>> about scalability at first, since when I do need to scale, I'll probably
>> be able to monetize at least a little and use that to pay for a real
>> host.
>>
>> Thanks everyone,
>> Daniel.

>
> What exactly to you mean by Java hosting?
>


Well, the two features I really need are the ability to run Java apps
(webapps or otherwise), and to have shell access (so I can manage the
app's data directories).

Knute Johnson 03-19-2012 06:21 PM

Re: Where to find decent free or cheap Java hosting?
 
On 3/19/2012 11:04 AM, Daniel Pitts wrote:
>> What exactly to you mean by Java hosting?
>>

>
> Well, the two features I really need are the ability to run Java apps
> (webapps or otherwise), and to have shell access (so I can manage the
> app's data directories).


You want to run a Java app in the server? I'm not sure what you mean by
webapp.

--

Knute Johnson

Daniel Pitts 03-19-2012 07:07 PM

Re: Where to find decent free or cheap Java hosting?
 
On 3/19/12 11:21 AM, Knute Johnson wrote:
> On 3/19/2012 11:04 AM, Daniel Pitts wrote:
>>> What exactly to you mean by Java hosting?
>>>

>>
>> Well, the two features I really need are the ability to run Java apps
>> (webapps or otherwise), and to have shell access (so I can manage the
>> app's data directories).

>
> You want to run a Java app in the server? I'm not sure what you mean by
> webapp.
>


Yes, a Java web-app, such as in a Resin or Tomcat application container,
for instance. Also, it would be a bonus to be able to run a stand-alone
Java process.

The reason I say Java specifically is a lot of "cheap" hosting expect
you to run short-lived PHP pages with minimal memory footprint, not
long-running Java applications.

Jan Burse 03-19-2012 07:46 PM

Re: Where to find decent free or cheap Java hosting?
 
Daniel Pitts schrieb:
> Yes, a Java web-app, such as in a Resin or Tomcat application container,
> for instance. Also, it would be a bonus to be able to run a stand-alone
> Java process.
>
> The reason I say Java specifically is a lot of "cheap" hosting expect
> you to run short-lived PHP pages with minimal memory footprint, not
> long-running Java applications.


Hi,

For what geographical region, where do you want your
ISP to be located? You could use some yellow pages of
the region and then check those out that have servlets.

My experience so far is, that you typically don't
get shell access, only secure remote copying. Which is
enough for web applications.

If you don't have shell access, then it becomes more
difficult to spawn Java processes. But maybe you would
be satisfied spawning threads inside a web container
process.

The later is actually possible, there is nothing in the
servlet spec that prevents you from creating additional
threads. But you would need to code your own job control
so that your threads get found from servlet to servlet
invocation.

Best Regards

Jan Burse 03-19-2012 08:01 PM

Re: Where to find decent free or cheap Java hosting?
 
Jan Burse schrieb:
> But maybe you would be satisfied spawning threads
> inside a web container process.


I guess the exec inside a web container might
also be blocked.



Arne Vajh°j 03-20-2012 01:34 AM

Re: Where to find decent free or cheap Java hosting?
 
On 3/19/2012 2:21 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
> On 3/19/2012 11:04 AM, Daniel Pitts wrote:
>>> What exactly to you mean by Java hosting?

>>
>> Well, the two features I really need are the ability to run Java apps
>> (webapps or otherwise), and to have shell access (so I can manage the
>> app's data directories).

>
> You want to run a Java app in the server? I'm not sure what you mean by
> webapp.


A Java web app usually mean a war running in a servlet container.

"Java web app" seems as common a term as "PHP web app" or
"ASP.NET web app" to me.

Arne



Arne Vajh°j 03-20-2012 01:35 AM

Re: Where to find decent free or cheap Java hosting?
 
On 3/19/2012 12:59 PM, Daniel Pitts wrote:
> I've been working on my AT-Robots program
> <https://sourceforge.net/projects/at-robots2-j/>, and I'm getting ready
> to create a "Tournament Server" for it. Basically, what that means is a
> webapp where someone can upload their robot definitions to compete
> against the others that have already been uploaded. I think this is a
> necessary next step in order to start building a community around my
> project, but I don't really have excess capital to spend on an otherwise
> free project.
>
> I do have my own personal "server", but it lives in my house and isn't
> very "stable". I've also looked into nosupportlinuxhosting.com, and
> while I can get Java to start up with a *lot* of finagling, it doesn't
> seem likely to be useful to me as a host for this kind of work.
>
> Just thinking out loud here, maybe the free (for a year) Micro Instance
> in EC2 is the way to go, but I don't know if that's "big" enough for a
> Java web-app. Anyone have experience with that?
>
> Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. I'm looking to spend < $5/mo
> if possible. At this point traffic will be fairly minimal, and free is
> best, but it has to work well enough when it is used. I'm not concerned
> about scalability at first, since when I do need to scale, I'll probably
> be able to monetize at least a little and use that to pay for a real host.


Google app engine for Java maybe!?

Arne



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.