Velocity Reviews

-   -   html dead pixel finder (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t869329-html-dead-pixel-finder.html)

floortje4@gmail.com 03-13-2012 01:23 PM

html dead pixel finder

Hi, I was insanely annoyed today that I could not find a good program to test if my new bought monitor had dead pixels. There were a few html pages that offered this service but all had flaws (ads and text that wouldn't moveor a real crappy UI) so i decided to create one myself

The result is http://mydeadpixeltest.com. Please have a look and tell me what u think. Auto fullscreen should be available in latest versions of chome, ff and safari (5.1+)

thx floortje

Jonathan N. Little 03-13-2012 01:58 PM

Re: html dead pixel finder

floortje4@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I was insanely annoyed today that I could not find a good program to test if my new bought monitor had dead pixels. There were a few html pages that offered this service but all had flaws (ads and text that wouldn't move or a real crappy UI) so i decided to create one myself
>
> The result is http://mydeadpixeltest.com. Please have a look and tell me what u think. Auto fullscreen should be available in latest versions of chome, ff and safari (5.1+)

Why? You can just use any image editor. Let's go cheap with Windows for
an example and use crappy MSPaint. Create a new image the size of your
screen > bucket fill with red > View fullscreen. Repeat for green, blue,
black, and white. Save as files if you feel the need to do this often.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Captain Paralytic 03-13-2012 02:01 PM

Re: html dead pixel finder

On Mar 13, 1:58*pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4...@gmail.com> wrote:
> floort...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi, I was insanely annoyed today that I could not find a good program to test if my new bought monitor had dead pixels. *There were a few html pages that offered this service but all had flaws (ads and text that wouldn't move or a real crappy UI) so i decided to create one myself

> > The result ishttp://mydeadpixeltest.com. Please have a look and tell mewhat u think. Auto fullscreen should be available in latest versions of chome, ff and safari (5.1+)

> Why? You can just use any image editor. Let's go cheap with Windows for
> an example and use crappy MSPaint. Create a new image the size of your
> screen > bucket fill with red > View fullscreen. Repeat for green, blue,
> black, and white. Save as files if you feel the need to do this often.

Well I guess the why is that you can use this on any machine pretty
much any time without needing to do all the stuff in paint.

I think it's pretty neat (not that it's something I'd ever thought of
using in the past).

Jonathan N. Little 03-13-2012 02:43 PM

Re: html dead pixel finder

Captain Paralytic wrote:
> On Mar 13, 1:58 pm, "Jonathan N. Little"<lws4...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> floort...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hi, I was insanely annoyed today that I could not find a good program to test if my new bought monitor had dead pixels. There were a few html pages that offered this service but all had flaws (ads and text that wouldn't move or a real crappy UI) so i decided to create one myself

>>> The result ishttp://mydeadpixeltest.com. Please have a look and tell me what u think. Auto fullscreen should be available in latest versions of chome, ff and safari (5.1+)

>> Why? You can just use any image editor. Let's go cheap with Windows for
>> an example and use crappy MSPaint. Create a new image the size of your
>> screen> bucket fill with red> View fullscreen. Repeat for green, blue,
>> black, and white. Save as files if you feel the need to do this often.

> Well I guess the why is that you can use this on any machine pretty
> much any time without needing to do all the stuff in paint.
>
> I think it's pretty neat (not that it's something I'd ever thought of
> using in the past).

Except you still have the browser chrome.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Mayeul 03-13-2012 02:52 PM

Re: html dead pixel finder

On 13/03/2012 15:43, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Captain Paralytic wrote:

>>> Why? You can just use any image editor. Let's go cheap with Windows for
>>> an example and use crappy MSPaint. Create a new image the size of your
>>> screen> bucket fill with red> View fullscreen. Repeat for green, blue,
>>> black, and white. Save as files if you feel the need to do this often.

>> Well I guess the why is that you can use this on any machine pretty
>> much any time without needing to do all the stuff in paint.
>>
>> I think it's pretty neat (not that it's something I'd ever thought of
>> using in the past).
>>

> Except you still have the browser chrome.

Not me. Kind of the point of the page, really.

And the 'Drag me' text is neither a cake nor a lie.

--
Mayeul

floortje 03-13-2012 03:37 PM

Re: html dead pixel finder

On Mar 13, 9:58*am, "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4...@gmail.com> wrote:
> floort...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi, I was insanely annoyed today that I could not find a good program to test if my new bought monitor had dead pixels. *There were a few html pages that offered this service but all had flaws (ads and text that wouldn't move or a real crappy UI) so i decided to create one myself

> > The result ishttp://mydeadpixeltest.com. Please have a look and tell mewhat u think. Auto fullscreen should be available in latest versions of chome, ff and safari (5.1+)

> Why? You can just use any image editor. Let's go cheap with Windows for
> an example and use crappy MSPaint. Create a new image the size of your
> screen > bucket fill with red > View fullscreen. Repeat for green, blue,
> black, and white. Save as files if you feel the need to do this often.
>
> --
> Take care,
>
> Jonathan
> -------------------
> LITTLE WORKS STUDIOhttp://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Why ... because i wanted to. Then I posted it here because I thought
it was pretty cool use of html. Ofcourse I could have used paint (if I
had a m$ machine that is) but that is not the point now is it ?

Gene Wirchenko 03-13-2012 03:51 PM

Re: html dead pixel finder

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 06:23:29 -0700 (PDT), floortje4@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi, I was insanely annoyed today that I could not find a good program to test if my new bought monitor had dead pixels. There were a few html pages that offered this service but all had flaws (ads and text that wouldn't move or a real crappy UI) so i decided to create one myself
>
>The result is http://mydeadpixeltest.com. Please have a look and tell me what u think. Auto fullscreen should be available in latest versions of chome, ff and safari (5.1+)

You installed something on my system that persisted *after* I
closed the page, and I had to restart my browser. When I entered a
character (D did it, but not space), the message about F11 and
full-screen mode appeared.

It might be an artefact of that I usually run with JavaScript
disabled and specifically enabled it to try your page.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Jonathan N. Little 03-13-2012 04:40 PM

Re: html dead pixel finder

Mayeul wrote:
> On 13/03/2012 15:43, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>> Except you still have the browser chrome.

> Not me. Kind of the point of the page, really.
>
> And the 'Drag me' text is neither a cake nor a lie.

Not sure which browser you are using, the pages script does not remove
my browser chrome from view...SeaMonkey, Firefox, IE9

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

dorayme 03-13-2012 09:17 PM

Re: html dead pixel finder

In article
<16932473.989.1331645009484.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@ynv11>,
floortje4@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi, I was insanely annoyed today that I could not find a good program to test
> if my new bought monitor had dead pixels. There were a few html pages that
> offered this service but all had flaws (ads and text that wouldn't move or a
> real crappy UI) so i decided to create one myself
>
> The result is http://mydeadpixeltest.com. Please have a look and tell me what
> u think. Auto fullscreen should be available in latest versions of chome, ff
> and safari (5.1+)

Yes, this should help some people. There are some minor faults in the
page in case you are interested:

1. See what happens to the text and little iconic boxes when Zoomed
Text Only, better to size your boxes in ems rather than pxs because
then they grow with text size.

2. With JS off, there are wrong instructions about F11 and things for
Safari, even for versions you allow.

3. It does not quite test for dead pixels under the 'drag me !' box.
When dragged, maybe the dead make like Lazarus?

--
dorayme

Tim Streater 03-13-2012 09:30 PM

Re: html dead pixel finder

In article <jjnmeq$srn$1@dont-email.me>,
"Jonathan N. Little" <lws4art@gmail.com> wrote:

> Captain Paralytic wrote:

> >> Why? You can just use any image editor. Let's go cheap with Windows for
> >> an example and use crappy MSPaint. Create a new image the size of your
> >> screen> bucket fill with red> View fullscreen. Repeat for green, blue,
> >> black, and white. Save as files if you feel the need to do this often.

> > Well I guess the why is that you can use this on any machine pretty
> > much any time without needing to do all the stuff in paint.
> >
> > I think it's pretty neat (not that it's something I'd ever thought of
> > using in the past).
> >

> Except you still have the browser chrome.

No you don't. He was able to make it be full-screen here OS X Lion
Safari 5.1.3.

--
Tim