Velocity Reviews

-   -   Two Sunsets Over the Gulf of Mexico (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t869172-two-sunsets-over-the-gulf-of-mexico.html)

M-M 03-08-2012 04:07 PM

Two Sunsets Over the Gulf of Mexico

The first was taken at 450mm equivalent; the second at 1500mm
equivalent.

THe first one had a nice touch with the flock of birds passing by. On
the second you can see the beginning of the green flash forming:

http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27779b.jpg
http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27611a.jpg

Taken from Naples, Florida.

More here:
http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/clouds.tn.html

Thanks for looking.

--
m-m
Photo Gallery:

otter 03-09-2012 02:44 AM

Re: Two Sunsets Over the Gulf of Mexico

On Mar 8, 10:07*am, M-M <nospam....@ny.more> wrote:
> The first was taken at 450mm equivalent; the second at 1500mm
> equivalent.
>
> THe first one had a nice touch with the flock of birds passing by. On
> the second you can see the beginning of the green flash forming:
>
> http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/d...dsc_27611a.jpg
>
> Taken from Naples, Florida.

Hey, not bad. I like both of those.

me 03-09-2012 08:14 PM

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:07:22 -0500, M-M <nospam.m-m@ny.more> wrote:

>The first was taken at 450mm equivalent; the second at 1500mm
>equivalent.
>
>THe first one had a nice touch with the flock of birds passing by. On
>the second you can see the beginning of the green flash forming:
>
>http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27779b.jpg
>http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27611a.jpg

Nice shots but that is not a green flash beginning. Just the normal
sun color. The portion of the sun below the clouds just has more blue
light filtered from it.

M-M 03-10-2012 05:03 AM

Re: Two Sunsets Over the Gulf of Mexico

In article <c1pkl717ve2gcoo647kddu2l6o6r71d76n@4ax.com>,
me <me@mine.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:07:22 -0500, M-M <nospam.m-m@ny.more> wrote:
>
> >The first was taken at 450mm equivalent; the second at 1500mm
> >equivalent.
> >
> >THe first one had a nice touch with the flock of birds passing by. On
> >the second you can see the beginning of the green flash forming:
> >
> >http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27779b.jpg
> >http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27611a.jpg

> Nice shots but that is not a green flash beginning. Just the normal
> sun color. The portion of the sun below the clouds just has more blue
> light filtered from it.

I have to disagree.
If you look at the very top edge of the second image- the part *above*
the cloud, you will see a very faint hint of green. This top green
border increases and as the sun disappears below the horizon, it is all
that is left, hence the "green flash".

--
m-m
Photo Gallery:

M-M 03-10-2012 05:08 AM

Re: Two Sunsets Over the Gulf of Mexico

In article <kOmdnbwyHovYEMfSnZ2dnUVZ_sudnZ2d@giganews.com>,
Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

> On 2012-03-08 11:07 , M-M wrote:
> > The first was taken at 450mm equivalent; the second at 1500mm
> > equivalent.
> >
> > THe first one had a nice touch with the flock of birds passing by. On
> > the second you can see the beginning of the green flash forming:
> >
> > http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27779b.jpg
> > http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27611a.jpg

> When did you take these?
>
> I'm wondering if the spots, 2nd image, are those related to the current
> CME event that is causing mild concern. Or at least other sunspots.
>
> In here they are at a higher latitude, however:
> http://www.spaceweather.com/images20...nset_strip.jpg

The second image was taken March 2, 2012. I did see some rather distinct
sunspots as I was shooting the magnified image.

--
m-m
Photo Gallery:

M-M 03-10-2012 05:12 AM

Re: Two Sunsets Over the Gulf of Mexico

In article
<nospam.m-m-D421D0.00082210032012@news.eternal-september.org>,
M-M <nospam.m-m@ny.more> wrote:

> In article <kOmdnbwyHovYEMfSnZ2dnUVZ_sudnZ2d@giganews.com>,
> Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>
> > On 2012-03-08 11:07 , M-M wrote:
> > > The first was taken at 450mm equivalent; the second at 1500mm
> > > equivalent.
> > >
> > > THe first one had a nice touch with the flock of birds passing by. On
> > > the second you can see the beginning of the green flash forming:
> > >
> > > http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27779b.jpg
> > > http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/d80/dsc_27611a.jpg

> > When did you take these?
> >
> > I'm wondering if the spots, 2nd image, are those related to the current
> > CME event that is causing mild concern. Or at least other sunspots.
> >
> > In here they are at a higher latitude, however:
> > http://www.spaceweather.com/images20...nset_strip.jpg

> The second image was taken March 2, 2012. I did see some rather distinct
> sunspots as I was shooting the magnified image.

One more thing. I checked the rest of the series. The darker spot to the
left on the second image is a bird. The lighter one to the right is a
sunspot.

--
m-m
Photo Gallery:

M-M 03-10-2012 11:36 AM

Re: Two Sunsets Over the Gulf of Mexico

In article <2012030921364343042-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> On 2012-03-09 21:03:10 -0800, M-M <nospam.m-m@ny.more> said:
>
> > In article <c1pkl717ve2gcoo647kddu2l6o6r71d76n@4ax.com>,
> > me <me@mine.net> wrote:

> >> Nice shots but that is not a green flash beginning. Just the normal
> >> sun color. The portion of the sun below the clouds just has more blue
> >> light filtered from it.

> > I have to disagree.
> > If you look at the very top edge of the second image- the part *above*
> > the cloud, you will see a very faint hint of green. This top green
> > border increases and as the sun disappears below the horizon, it is all
> > that is left, hence the "green flash".

> Aah! the hunt for the "green flash"!
>
> There is no "green flash" beginning, middle, or grand finale in that
> Sunset image. I believe that like my attempts to capture images of
> "Bigfoot" it has eluded you.

Here is a 100% crop of the top. Do you not see green?

http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/temp/green.jpg

Here is a sunset that definitely shows it:

http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/boatset.mov

--
m-m
Photo Gallery:

Bruce 03-10-2012 05:45 PM

Re: Two Sunsets Over the Gulf of Mexico

>On 2012-03-10 03:36:15 -0800, M-M <nospam.m-m@ny.more> said:

>>> Aah! the hunt for the "green flash"!
>>>
>>> There is no "green flash" beginning, middle, or grand finale in that
>>> Sunset image. I believe that like my attempts to capture images of
>>> "Bigfoot" it has eluded you.

>> Here is a 100% crop of the top. Do you not see green?
>>
>> http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/temp/green.jpg

>Do you not see CA?
>
>...and with most any editing software your color of choice is a slide
>adjustment away.
>< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/M-M_GF-01.jpg >
>

>> Here is a sunset that definitely shows it:
>>
>> http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/boatset.mov

>I will give you an itty-bitty greenish flash at the end of that
>sequence. However given the problematic nature of the accurate capture
>of solar images on any media, digital or film, perceived color is going
>to be just that, and the "green flash" will remain an elusive illusory
>beast.

I think it is easier to see the flash if you are wearing a foil hat.

Doug McDonald 03-10-2012 08:55 PM

Re: Two Sunsets Over the Gulf of Mexico

>>> Here is a 100% crop of the top. Do you not see green?
>>>
>>> http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/temp/green.jpg

>> Do you not see CA?

The green flash IS a real atmospheric effect. And
it *IS** CA from atmospheric dispersion.

Doug McDonald

Bruce 03-10-2012 09:00 PM

Doug McDonald <mcdonald@scs.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>>> Do you not see CA?
>>>

>The green flash IS a real atmospheric effect. And
>it *IS** CA from atmospheric dispersion.

Where do you buy your tin foil hats from?

Are they like this?
http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/wp-...n-foil-hat.jpg

[only kidding!]