Velocity Reviews

-   -   "Softbox" flash attachment - anybody tried this? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t868856-softbox-flash-attachment-anybody-tried-this.html)

Peabody 02-29-2012 12:39 AM

"Softbox" flash attachment - anybody tried this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150720657330

So it's a little softbox thingy that you mount on your flash. Just
seems like it might come in handy to soften things a bit but still
not throw light everywhere. I just wondered if anyone here had
tried such a thing and whether it was useful. At $9 delivered, not
a big risk, I guess.

Actually, I was thinking of using it for backdrop lighting if it
doesn't cost too many stops.

tony cooper 02-29-2012 03:26 AM

Re: "Softbox" flash attachment - anybody tried this?

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 18:39:54 -0600, Peabody
<waybackNO784SPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote:

>http://www.ebay.com/itm/150720657330
>
>So it's a little softbox thingy that you mount on your flash. Just
>seems like it might come in handy to soften things a bit but still
>not throw light everywhere. I just wondered if anyone here had
>tried such a thing and whether it was useful. At $9 delivered, not
>a big risk, I guess.
>
>Actually, I was thinking of using it for backdrop lighting if it
>doesn't cost too many stops.

It doesn't look any better or worse than the plastic diffusers (Gary
Fong or Sto-Fen) that fit over a flash. The disadvantage is that it
looks bulkier to carry in the camera bag than a Fong or Sto-Fen. OK
if you never take it with you.

It ships from China, though. I don't really trust China shipments to
get here, but I don't know if it's really a problem.

As you say, not a big risk to try.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Peabody 02-29-2012 03:26 AM

Re: "Softbox" flash attachment - anybody tried this?

Alan Browne says...

> One of the drawbacks of the widget you show is it brings
> a lot of light closer to the lens axis - more chance of
> red eye.

I know it shows it mounted on the camera, but I would be
using the flash off-camera, and it would be in addition to
my main flash and 43" shoot-through umbrella for studio
work.

If I used it on-the-go, I think I would just hold it in my
left hand, with arm outstretched, and trigger the camera
right-handed. And I would use a radio trigger for that.

Well I think I'll spring for the $9 and see how it works
out.

Troy Piggins 02-29-2012 04:32 AM

On 29/02/12 1:26 PM, * tony cooper wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 18:39:54 -0600, Peabody
> <waybackNO784SPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/150720657330
>>
>> So it's a little softbox thingy that you mount on your flash. Just
>> seems like it might come in handy to soften things a bit but still
>> not throw light everywhere. I just wondered if anyone here had
>> tried such a thing and whether it was useful. At $9 delivered, not
>> a big risk, I guess.
>>
>> Actually, I was thinking of using it for backdrop lighting if it
>> doesn't cost too many stops.

> It doesn't look any better or worse than the plastic diffusers (Gary
> Fong or Sto-Fen) that fit over a flash. The disadvantage is that it
> looks bulkier to carry in the camera bag than a Fong or Sto-Fen. OK
> if you never take it with you.
>
> It ships from China, though. I don't really trust China shipments to
> get here, but I don't know if it's really a problem.
>
> As you say, not a big risk to try.

It's a bigger surface area than the Fong or Stofen, so it should give
softer light if put close to the subject. No? The Fong and Stofen are
meant for bounce flash. No good if you don't have anything to bounce
off. This softbox thingy is meant for direct shooting.

nospam 02-29-2012 05:01 AM

Re: "Softbox" flash attachment - anybody tried this?

In article <1g6rk7teolbva14mf51qoqsvfc6k6crp5p@4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony.cooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

> It ships from China, though. I don't really trust China shipments to
> get here, but I don't know if it's really a problem.

it's not problem at all. the item will ship when they say it will and
typically arrive about 2-3 weeks and on occasion slightly less. i've
had more problems with usa sellers.

tony cooper 02-29-2012 05:33 AM

Re: "Softbox" flash attachment - anybody tried this?

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 21:01:29 -0800, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <1g6rk7teolbva14mf51qoqsvfc6k6crp5p@4ax.com>, tony cooper
><tony.cooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It ships from China, though. I don't really trust China shipments to
>> get here, but I don't know if it's really a problem.

>it's not problem at all. the item will ship when they say it will and
>typically arrive about 2-3 weeks and on occasion slightly less. i've
>had more problems with usa sellers.

The ad says delivery between March 16 and March 29. It could be a
month from now.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

nospam 02-29-2012 06:20 AM

Re: "Softbox" flash attachment - anybody tried this?

In article <c0erk7pq93sm4m9u8b4o55tfuhirmskmcd@4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony.cooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> It ships from China, though. I don't really trust China shipments to
> >> get here, but I don't know if it's really a problem.

> >it's not problem at all. the item will ship when they say it will and
> >typically arrive about 2-3 weeks and on occasion slightly less. i've
> >had more problems with usa sellers.

> The ad says delivery between March 16 and March 29. It could be a
> month from now.

actually, that's ebay's estimate. had you read the ad itself, you'd see
they say about 2-3 weeks to the usa, just like i said it would.

Bruce 02-29-2012 07:26 AM

Re: "Softbox" flash attachment - anybody tried this?

Peabody <waybackNO784SPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote:

>http://www.ebay.com/itm/150720657330
>
>So it's a little softbox thingy that you mount on your flash. Just
>seems like it might come in handy to soften things a bit but still
>not throw light everywhere. I just wondered if anyone here had
>tried such a thing and whether it was useful. At $9 delivered, not
>a big risk, I guess.
>
>Actually, I was thinking of using it for backdrop lighting if it
>doesn't cost too many stops.

It is worth a try for $9. You can pay a lot more for something based
on similar principles from a well-known brand:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140549038629

Expect to lose 1.5 to 2 stops. But definitely worth a try.

tony cooper 02-29-2012 07:43 AM

Re: "Softbox" flash attachment - anybody tried this?

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 22:20:04 -0800, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>> >it's not problem at all. the item will ship when they say it will and
>> >typically arrive about 2-3 weeks and on occasion slightly less. i've
>> >had more problems with usa sellers.

>> The ad says delivery between March 16 and March 29. It could be a
>> month from now.

>actually, that's ebay's estimate. had you read the ad itself, you'd see
>they say about 2-3 weeks to the usa, just like i said it would.

It also says: "But sometimes maybe take up to 4-6 weeks due to strict
Custom Inspection"

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

nospam 02-29-2012 05:41 PM

Re: "Softbox" flash attachment - anybody tried this?

In article <7olrk75eantdkiddf54dqefm2lcfbrk5um@4ax.com>, tony cooper

> >> The ad says delivery between March 16 and March 29. It could be a
> >> month from now.

> >actually, that's ebay's estimate. had you read the ad itself, you'd see
> >they say about 2-3 weeks to the usa, just like i said it would.

> It also says: "But sometimes maybe take up to 4-6 weeks due to strict
> Custom Inspection"

talking out your ass again, i see. you've never bought a single ebay
item from china. you just want to argue for the sake of argument.

i've bought numerous items from china. it will show up in 2-3 weeks.