Velocity Reviews

-   -   Ide to ahci or vice versa (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t868523-ide-to-ahci-or-vice-versa.html)

Drew 02-19-2012 12:54 PM

Ide to ahci or vice versa

A while back I posted a question about changing from ide to ahci on my
computer. I am running a 40 gig Intel ssd that was in ide mode. One of
the other poster's (Paul)gave me or posted a easy way to change to ahci
with a script from his website. I finally got around to doing that
yesterday and it seriously dropped my WEI from 7.2 to 5.9. The question
would be why it would do that? I may have made a error in assuming that
it would have stayed the same or improved it.My main reason was to make
it easier for the Intel toolbox to be able to update the firmware and
schedule the trim function.The next question is I just ordered a new
Intel 320 series 120 gig ssd to replace my current Intel X25 40 gig ssd
as it is down to 3 gigs free with only windows in the drive. Will that
make the WEI bounce back or will it stay the same? Should I switch back
to IDE?

Running Win 7 pro fully updated
Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
8 gigs ram
40 gig ssd
2 160 gig Seagate Barracuda's.

Dominic Payer 02-20-2012 08:38 AM

Re: Ide to ahci or vice versa

Have you installed the AHCI (Intel RST) driver for your motherboard
chipset from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/?

If you just changed the access mode to AHCI you will be using the basic
Microsoft AHCI driver.

Charlie Russel-MVP 02-20-2012 09:23 PM

Re: Ide to ahci or vice versa

which is fairly sucky, actually.

--
Charlie.
http://blogs.msmvps.com/russel

Drew 02-24-2012 04:19 AM

Re: Ide to ahci or vice versa

Not as of yet as I have been slammed at work. Another question would be
could I simply change it back to ide in the Bios without trashing the
system? I do not or have not noticed any performance difference with it
on ahci except it seems to boot even slower.

Dominic Payer 02-24-2012 09:20 AM

Re: Ide to ahci or vice versa

If you do not install the correct chipset driver performance will be
poor. The Microsoft AHCI driver is intended only to let an initial AHCI
install occur.

You can just change back to Legacy IDE in your BIOS. The required
drivers are still installed.

The best option is to download and install the RST drivers from
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/. It is only an 11MB download.

Drew 02-25-2012 01:22 AM

Re: Ide to ahci or vice versa

Domenic. according to device manager I am running the latest
drivers..Unless you see something I do not. Remember it is a Intel
legacy board D975XBX2. Kind of irritating that it seems slower booting.
Especially when Ahci is supposed to be a little quicker. Should I
uninstall current driver first via device manager then try to install again?

Dominic Payer 02-25-2012 08:49 AM

Re: Ide to ahci or vice versa

The Intel RST driver is not offered through Windows Update. You need to
know it may help and search for it.

Search on D975XBX2 at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ and you will find
the latest official downloads for your board. There are newer versions
if you search on RST and 975x for the chipset.

Drew 02-25-2012 01:50 PM

Re: Ide to ahci or vice versa

Domenic. First off I never use Microsoft for hardware updates as I
learned better years ago. However when I do download these drivers It
supposedly installs but when I look afterwards it is still showing the
original Microsoft driver from 2006 as the main. How can I change this?

Drew 02-25-2012 02:32 PM

Re: Ide to ahci or vice versa

Ok I got it showing the most recent Intel driver yet I still get the 5.9
in WEI and it is still showing a little slower. I am going to download
the marvell driver and see if it will change..

Drew 02-25-2012 03:48 PM

Re: Ide to ahci or vice versa

So here we go..After trying to figure out how to get it to use the last
Intel driver for the storage controllers of which I have two different
on this board. One is Intel and the other is Marvel.It still shows as a
5.9 so just for the heck of it I tried swapping back to IDE and lo and
behold it still shows a 5.9 when it always showed a 7.2 before