Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   Problem editing old Nikon Coolpix L3 MOV movie files (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t868499-problem-editing-old-nikon-coolpix-l3-mov-movie-files.html)

John Doe 02-18-2012 04:58 PM

Problem editing old Nikon Coolpix L3 MOV movie files
 
I guess this is off-topic, but...

I have an old Nikon Coolpix L3 digital camera that records movies
that look okay for my purposes. I don't want to buy another
camera. I would like to edit the movies, but the produced MOV
files appear to be incompatible with most everything except
playback in VLC media player. I need to edit those files.
Microsoft's Movie Maker cannot handle the format. Is there some
movie editor that will handle them?

I have read stuff about needing to convert the MOV file to an AVI
file, and something about security protocol changes to do with
file formats or codecs or something. I have tried one or two file
converters with no luck. Is there some file converter that should
handle it?

I looked in file properties, but so far I see nothing except
"Movie Type JPEG" in Media Player Classic.

Thanks.

nospam 02-18-2012 05:05 PM

Re: Problem editing old Nikon Coolpix L3 MOV movie files
 
In article <4f3fd8ac$0$32196$c3e8da3$670ba073@news.astraweb.c om>, John
Doe <jdoe@usenetlove.invalid> wrote:

> I guess this is off-topic, but...
>
> I have an old Nikon Coolpix L3 digital camera that records movies
> that look okay for my purposes. I don't want to buy another
> camera. I would like to edit the movies, but the produced MOV
> files appear to be incompatible with most everything except
> playback in VLC media player.


bullshit. it's not incompatible with most everything. it's a standard
quicktime movie.

> I need to edit those files.
> Microsoft's Movie Maker cannot handle the format. Is there some
> movie editor that will handle them?


install quicktime.

> I have read stuff about needing to convert the MOV file to an AVI
> file, and something about security protocol changes to do with
> file formats or codecs or something. I have tried one or two file
> converters with no luck. Is there some file converter that should
> handle it?


no need to convert. mov files are standard quicktime files.

> I looked in file properties, but so far I see nothing except
> "Movie Type JPEG" in Media Player Classic.


it's probably using the mjpeg codec.

John Doe 02-18-2012 05:10 PM

Re: Problem editing old Nikon Coolpix L3 MOV movie files
 
nospam <nospam nospam.invalid> wrote:

> John Doe <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I guess this is off-topic, but...
>>
>> I have an old Nikon Coolpix L3 digital camera that records
>> movies that look okay for my purposes. I don't want to buy
>> another camera. I would like to edit the movies, but the
>> produced MOV files appear to be incompatible with most
>> everything except playback in VLC media player.

>
> bullshit. it's not incompatible with most everything. it's a
> standard quicktime movie.
>
>> I need to edit those files. Microsoft's Movie Maker cannot
>> handle the format. Is there some movie editor that will handle
>> them?

>
> install quicktime.


To do what? I tried installing QuickTime but that didn't help
Microsoft's Movie Maker edit the file. That is the context of what
you are replying to.

--








>
>> I have read stuff about needing to convert the MOV file to an AVI
>> file, and something about security protocol changes to do with
>> file formats or codecs or something. I have tried one or two file
>> converters with no luck. Is there some file converter that should
>> handle it?

>
> no need to convert. mov files are standard quicktime files.
>
>> I looked in file properties, but so far I see nothing except
>> "Movie Type JPEG" in Media Player Classic.

>
> it's probably using the mjpeg codec.
>



nospam 02-18-2012 05:19 PM

Re: Problem editing old Nikon Coolpix L3 MOV movie files
 
In article <4f3fdb97$0$31147$c3e8da3$b280bf18@news.astraweb.c om>, John
Doe <jdoe@usenetlove.invalid> wrote:

> >> I need to edit those files. Microsoft's Movie Maker cannot
> >> handle the format. Is there some movie editor that will handle
> >> them?

> >
> > install quicktime.

>
> To do what? I tried installing QuickTime but that didn't help
> Microsoft's Movie Maker edit the file. That is the context of what
> you are replying to.


use quicktime player, or any quicktime aware app.

John Doe 02-18-2012 05:20 PM

Re: Problem editing old Nikon Coolpix L3 MOV movie files
 
I'M TRYING TO EDIT THE FILES, MAROON

nospam <nospam nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Path: news.astraweb.com!border6.newsrouter.astraweb.com! news.glorb.com!feeder.erje.net!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!mx04.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
> From: nospam <nospam nospam.invalid>
> Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
> Subject: Re: Problem editing old Nikon Coolpix L3 MOV movie files
> Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 12:19:33 -0500
> Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
> Lines: 14
> Message-ID: <180220121219333064%nospam nospam.invalid>
> References: <4f3fd8ac$0$32196$c3e8da3$670ba073 news.astraweb.com> <180220121205211959%nospam nospam.invalid> <4f3fdb97$0$31147$c3e8da3$b280bf18 news.astraweb.com>
> Mime-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
> Injection-Info: mx04.eternal-september.org; posting-host="uUjDP1C208NuGErYKQOFqg"; logging-data="9526"; mail-complaints-to="abuse eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1+PsPtE5wtxEM4FZxJG75Oj"
> User-Agent: Thoth/1.8.3 (Carbon/OS X)
> Cancel-Lock: sha1:8JOtbJubKH/lxrcQeFxMDBQCbbA=
>
> In article <4f3fdb97$0$31147$c3e8da3$b280bf18 news.astraweb.com>, John
> Doe <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
>
>> >> I need to edit those files. Microsoft's Movie Maker cannot
>> >> handle the format. Is there some movie editor that will handle
>> >> them?
>> >
>> > install quicktime.

>>
>> To do what? I tried installing QuickTime but that didn't help
>> Microsoft's Movie Maker edit the file. That is the context of what
>> you are replying to.

>
> use quicktime player, or any quicktime aware app.
>
>



tony cooper 02-18-2012 07:28 PM

Re: Problem editing old Nikon Coolpix L3 MOV movie files
 
On 18 Feb 2012 16:58:20 GMT, John Doe <jdoe@usenetlove.invalid> wrote:

>I guess this is off-topic, but...
>
>I have an old Nikon Coolpix L3 digital camera that records movies
>that look okay for my purposes. I don't want to buy another
>camera. I would like to edit the movies, but the produced MOV
>files appear to be incompatible with most everything except
>playback in VLC media player. I need to edit those files.
>Microsoft's Movie Maker cannot handle the format. Is there some
>movie editor that will handle them?
>
>I have read stuff about needing to convert the MOV file to an AVI
>file, and something about security protocol changes to do with
>file formats or codecs or something. I have tried one or two file
>converters with no luck. Is there some file converter that should
>handle it?
>
>I looked in file properties, but so far I see nothing except
>"Movie Type JPEG" in Media Player Classic.


You are asking in the wrong place. What you will get here is a reply
from "nospam" that is neither helpful nor informed. Go to a forum
where you will be treated with respect and get help.

http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/ is a good place to start.
There are several forum links there that will take you to specific
forums where people will provide polite and helpful answers.

The guru of all gurus in this area is "Papa John" Buechler. You'll
find links to his forums at http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/


--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

John Doe 02-18-2012 07:37 PM

Re: Problem editing old Nikon Coolpix L3 MOV movie files
 
tony cooper <tony.cooper214 gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/ is a good place to
> start.


I probably will consult such a forum. What I want to do is
straightforward, it's easy to describe, but actually doing it is
difficult without knowing something about the movie editing
software.

Later.

nospam 02-18-2012 07:40 PM

Re: Problem editing old Nikon Coolpix L3 MOV movie files
 
In article <8luvj7l6oghbivo7pio796ufr2888shn97@4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony.cooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

> >I have an old Nikon Coolpix L3 digital camera that records movies
> >that look okay for my purposes. I don't want to buy another
> >camera. I would like to edit the movies, but the produced MOV
> >files appear to be incompatible with most everything except
> >playback in VLC media player. I need to edit those files.
> >Microsoft's Movie Maker cannot handle the format. Is there some
> >movie editor that will handle them?
> >
> >I have read stuff about needing to convert the MOV file to an AVI
> >file, and something about security protocol changes to do with
> >file formats or codecs or something. I have tried one or two file
> >converters with no luck. Is there some file converter that should
> >handle it?
> >
> >I looked in file properties, but so far I see nothing except
> >"Movie Type JPEG" in Media Player Classic.

>
> You are asking in the wrong place. What you will get here is a reply
> from "nospam" that is neither helpful nor informed. Go to a forum
> where you will be treated with respect and get help.


how's this for respect: **** off.

my answer was both helpful and 100% correct, unlike yours, which was
solely to bash me.

here it is again: installing quicktime is the way to read/write mov
files. quicktime also includes an app called quicktime player, which
can do basic editing.

he didn't say how extensive the editing needed to be, which is why i
also suggested other quicktime aware apps in the event that quicktime
player does not suffice. there are numerous options available, but
without knowing exactly what he wants to do, there's no way anyone can
offer a better suggestion than that.

nospam 02-18-2012 07:41 PM

Re: Problem editing old Nikon Coolpix L3 MOV movie files
 
In article <4f3ffdef$0$2158$c3e8da3$c8b7d2e6@news.astraweb.co m>, John
Doe <jdoe@usenetlove.invalid> wrote:

> I probably will consult such a forum. What I want to do is
> straightforward, it's easy to describe, but actually doing it is
> difficult without knowing something about the movie editing
> software.


why don't you describe it? then people can give you more precise
answers.

and you will need to install quicktime.

tony cooper 02-18-2012 07:58 PM

Re: Problem editing old Nikon Coolpix L3 MOV movie files
 
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 14:40:13 -0500, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <8luvj7l6oghbivo7pio796ufr2888shn97@4ax.com>, tony cooper
><tony.cooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> >I have an old Nikon Coolpix L3 digital camera that records movies
>> >that look okay for my purposes. I don't want to buy another
>> >camera. I would like to edit the movies, but the produced MOV
>> >files appear to be incompatible with most everything except
>> >playback in VLC media player. I need to edit those files.
>> >Microsoft's Movie Maker cannot handle the format. Is there some
>> >movie editor that will handle them?
>> >
>> >I have read stuff about needing to convert the MOV file to an AVI
>> >file, and something about security protocol changes to do with
>> >file formats or codecs or something. I have tried one or two file
>> >converters with no luck. Is there some file converter that should
>> >handle it?
>> >
>> >I looked in file properties, but so far I see nothing except
>> >"Movie Type JPEG" in Media Player Classic.

>>
>> You are asking in the wrong place. What you will get here is a reply
>> from "nospam" that is neither helpful nor informed. Go to a forum
>> where you will be treated with respect and get help.

>
>how's this for respect: **** off.
>
>my answer was both helpful and 100% correct, unlike yours, which was
>solely to bash me.


I don't consider a reply that starts out with "bullshit" to be
helpful.

"Solely" means "not involving anything else". While I did bash you -
as you deserve - I gave him something else: links to forums and an
individual who be genuinely helpful.


--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.