Velocity Reviews

-   -   I'd like a 25mm f/0.5 lens for m4/3rds please (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t868480-id-like-a-25mm-f-0-5-lens-for-m4-3rds-please.html)

RichA 02-17-2012 10:28 PM

I'd like a 25mm f/0.5 lens for m4/3rds please

Sure, it would be tough to make, but good for bragging rights for
whichever company did it. Lenses of that speed have been made, but
the only ones I'm familiar with (actually seen) have be scientific
mirror lenses where the film was actually inside the lens itself. A
refractive optic would be very interesting. The fastest refractive
lens I've owned was a 65mm f0.75 made for an X-ray machine. I could
just achieve focus on a m4/3rds camera at infinity with it. The lens
was about 4" across and cost $6000.00 originally.
Image quality was (needless to say) soft! But with modern production
techniques and molded aspherics/ED/SuperED glass, they could probably
do a bit better.

Ray Fischer 02-19-2012 01:23 AM

Re: I'd like a 25mm f/0.5 lens for m4/3rds please

RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
>Sure, it would be tough to make, but good for bragging rights for
>whichever company did it. Lenses of that speed have been made, but
>the only ones I'm familiar with (actually seen) have be scientific
>mirror lenses where the film was actually inside the lens itself. A
>refractive optic would be very interesting. The fastest refractive
>lens I've owned was a 65mm f0.75 made for an X-ray machine. I could
>just achieve focus on a m4/3rds camera at infinity with it. The lens
>was about 4" across and cost $6000.00 originally.
>Image quality was (needless to say) soft! But with modern production
>techniques and molded aspherics/ED/SuperED glass, they could probably
>do a bit better.

Why don't you hire somebody to make one?

Start a business?

Isn't that the capitalist's answer to everything?

--
Ray Fischer | None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
rfischer@sonic.net | Goethe

PeterN 02-19-2012 03:19 PM

On 2/18/2012 9:26 PM, Rich wrote:
> rfischer@sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote in news:4f404f2d$0$11987
> $742ec2ed@news.sonic.net:
>
>> RichA<rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Sure, it would be tough to make, but good for bragging rights for
>>> whichever company did it. Lenses of that speed have been made, but
>>> the only ones I'm familiar with (actually seen) have be scientific
>>> mirror lenses where the film was actually inside the lens itself. A
>>> refractive optic would be very interesting. The fastest refractive
>>> lens I've owned was a 65mm f0.75 made for an X-ray machine. I could
>>> just achieve focus on a m4/3rds camera at infinity with it. The lens
>>> was about 4" across and cost $6000.00 originally.
>>> Image quality was (needless to say) soft! But with modern production
>>> techniques and molded aspherics/ED/SuperED glass, they could probably
>>> do a bit better.

>> Why don't you hire somebody to make one?
>>
>> Start a business?
>>
>> Isn't that the capitalist's answer to everything?
>>

> Get a job, loser.

Mirror

--
Peter

Doug McDonald 02-19-2012 05:07 PM

On 2/18/2012 7:23 PM, Ray Fischer wrote:
> RichA<rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sure, it would be tough to make, but good for bragging rights for
>> whichever company did it. Lenses of that speed have been made, but
>> the only ones I'm familiar with (actually seen) have be scientific
>> mirror lenses where the film was actually inside the lens itself. A
>> refractive optic would be very interesting. The fastest refractive
>> lens I've owned was a 65mm f0.75 made for an X-ray machine. I could
>> just achieve focus on a m4/3rds camera at infinity with it. The lens
>> was about 4" across and cost $6000.00 originally.
>> Image quality was (needless to say) soft! But with modern production
>> techniques and molded aspherics/ED/SuperED glass, they could probably
>> do a bit better.

> Why don't you hire somebody to make one?
>
> Start a business?
>
> Isn't that the capitalist's answer to everything?

f/0.5 is not acheivable with an air gap between the lens
and sensor. F/0.75 is, but that X-ray machine lens was
designed for close-ups and probably was more like f/0.9
or f/1.1 on the output side, used as intended. I have
an f/0.8 lens of the same sort. It is soft used as
intended at a 2:1 image reduction, but at infinity
it barely produces an image.

Doug McDonald

nospam 02-19-2012 06:15 PM

Re: I'd like a 25mm f/0.5 lens for m4/3rds please

In article <jhra7n$rdp$1@dont-email.me>, Doug McDonald
<mcdonald@scs.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> f/0.5 is not acheivable with an air gap between the lens
> and sensor.

yes it is, although not necessarily cost effective to produce.

Wolfgang Weisselberg 02-23-2012 01:59 AM

Re: I'd like a 25mm f/0.5 lens for m4/3rds please

RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
> refractive optic would be very interesting. The fastest refractive
> lens I've owned was a 65mm f0.75 made for an X-ray machine. I could
> just achieve focus on a m4/3rds camera at infinity with it. The lens
> was about 4" across and cost $6000.00 originally.
> Image quality was (needless to say) soft! But with modern production

So you claim to own a lens and at least access to a m4/3rds camera?
Really?

I don't believe you.

-Wolfgang