Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Java (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f30-java.html)
-   -   Swing is dead! Long live Swing. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t868375-swing-is-dead-long-live-swing.html)

Knute Johnson 02-16-2012 03:25 AM

Swing is dead! Long live Swing.
 
I was doing some investigation of JavaFX and found a Q&A on the
javafx.com website.

"6. Is JavaFX replacing Swing as the new client UI library for Java SE?
Yes. However, Swing will remain part of the Java SE specification for
the foreseeable future, and is included in the JRE. On one hand, Swing
is widely used in existing Java desktop applications, but relies on an
old architecture, which requires a certain level of expertise and
specialization. On the other hand, JavaFX features a set of modern UI
controls that can be skinned using standard CSS techniques. While we
recommend developers to leverage JavaFX APIs as much as possible when
building new applications, it is possible to use Swing and JavaFX within
the same application, allowing developers to extend existing Swing
applications."

I've just started playing with JavaFX and I've got a long way to go to
really understand it but it looks fairly simple. I don't know what it
is going to be like to produce the type of GUI interfaces that I usually
do for work with it though.

Maybe we need a comp.lang.java.fx group.

knute...

Roedy Green 02-16-2012 04:13 AM

Re: Swing is dead! Long live Swing.
 
On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:25:19 -0800, Knute Johnson
<nospam@rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

>I've just started playing with JavaFX and I've got a long way to go to
>really understand it but it looks fairly simple. I don't know what it
>is going to be like to produce the type of GUI interfaces that I usually
>do for work with it though.


I have been hoping for a new way of doing GUIs that was more like CSS,
where you don't specify all the details for every component
explicitly. Back in the DOS days, in my Abundance language I did not
have to explicitly label fields or lay them out. Such things should
be possible in Java. The sort of thing I would like is an
international mailing address type, that you treat like an atom. When
you give it more space on screen fields grow. When you give it less,
labels disappear, fields shrink and fields temporarily hide. It knows
about postal codes, formatting, provinces etc. and ensures the user
keys a valid address, perhaps with automatic postal code lookup
without writing code other than to enable the feature.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com
One of the most useful comments you can put in a program is
"If you change this, remember to change ?XXX? too".


Novice 02-16-2012 07:13 PM

Re: Swing is dead! Long live Swing.
 
Knute Johnson <nospam@rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com> wrote in news:jhhsv4$uov$1
@dont-email.me:

> I was doing some investigation of JavaFX and found a Q&A on the
> javafx.com website.
>
> "6. Is JavaFX replacing Swing as the new client UI library for Java SE?
> Yes. However, Swing will remain part of the Java SE specification for
> the foreseeable future, and is included in the JRE. On one hand, Swing
> is widely used in existing Java desktop applications, but relies on an
> old architecture, which requires a certain level of expertise and
> specialization. On the other hand, JavaFX features a set of modern UI
> controls that can be skinned using standard CSS techniques. While we
> recommend developers to leverage JavaFX APIs as much as possible when
> building new applications, it is possible to use Swing and JavaFX

within
> the same application, allowing developers to extend existing Swing
> applications."
>
> I've just started playing with JavaFX and I've got a long way to go to
> really understand it but it looks fairly simple. I don't know what it
> is going to be like to produce the type of GUI interfaces that I

usually
> do for work with it though.
>
> Maybe we need a comp.lang.java.fx group.
>


My sole experience with JavaFX is the couple of hours I've spent messing
around with it this morning so I don't speak from any great expertise.
However, given the fact that JavaFX only works in Windows XP/Vista/7 at
the moment - a Mac version exists but is apparently not that mature yet
and a Linux version is anticipated _eventually_ - I submit that JavaFX
may not be worthy of a great deal of development effort yet, at least for
those who want to develop things that are going to run on multiple
platforms, some of which _aren't_ Windows.

It may be "the next big thing" before too long and it may be worth
investing some time to learn now rather than jumping on the bandwagon
later but I'm not inclined to put much time into it until it's clear that
it will be made available for all the platforms on which we expect to run
our Java code. A statement of commitment indicating that Mac and Linux
versions WILL be available at the same or similar level to the Windows
versions by some not-too-distant date is probably all I need to get more
enthusiastic about JavaFX....

--
Novice

Arne Vajh°j 02-16-2012 11:29 PM

Re: Swing is dead! Long live Swing.
 
On 2/15/2012 10:25 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
> I was doing some investigation of JavaFX and found a Q&A on the
> javafx.com website.
>
> "6. Is JavaFX replacing Swing as the new client UI library for Java SE?
> Yes. However, Swing will remain part of the Java SE specification for
> the foreseeable future, and is included in the JRE. On one hand, Swing
> is widely used in existing Java desktop applications, but relies on an
> old architecture, which requires a certain level of expertise and
> specialization. On the other hand, JavaFX features a set of modern UI
> controls that can be skinned using standard CSS techniques. While we
> recommend developers to leverage JavaFX APIs as much as possible when
> building new applications, it is possible to use Swing and JavaFX within
> the same application, allowing developers to extend existing Swing
> applications."
>
> I've just started playing with JavaFX and I've got a long way to go to
> really understand it but it looks fairly simple. I don't know what it is
> going to be like to produce the type of GUI interfaces that I usually do
> for work with it though.
>
> Maybe we need a comp.lang.java.fx group.


Maybe.

If there are enough applet and desktop app developers
to make it relevant.

Otherwise here would be preferable.

Arne

PS: JavaFX is actually rather cool.




Arne Vajh°j 02-16-2012 11:32 PM

Re: Swing is dead! Long live Swing.
 
On 2/16/2012 2:13 PM, Novice wrote:
> Knute Johnson<nospam@rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com> wrote in news:jhhsv4$uov$1
> @dont-email.me:
>> I was doing some investigation of JavaFX and found a Q&A on the
>> javafx.com website.
>>
>> "6. Is JavaFX replacing Swing as the new client UI library for Java SE?
>> Yes. However, Swing will remain part of the Java SE specification for
>> the foreseeable future, and is included in the JRE. On one hand, Swing
>> is widely used in existing Java desktop applications, but relies on an
>> old architecture, which requires a certain level of expertise and
>> specialization. On the other hand, JavaFX features a set of modern UI
>> controls that can be skinned using standard CSS techniques. While we
>> recommend developers to leverage JavaFX APIs as much as possible when
>> building new applications, it is possible to use Swing and JavaFX

> within
>> the same application, allowing developers to extend existing Swing
>> applications."
>>
>> I've just started playing with JavaFX and I've got a long way to go to
>> really understand it but it looks fairly simple. I don't know what it
>> is going to be like to produce the type of GUI interfaces that I

> usually
>> do for work with it though.
>>
>> Maybe we need a comp.lang.java.fx group.

>
> My sole experience with JavaFX is the couple of hours I've spent messing
> around with it this morning so I don't speak from any great expertise.
> However, given the fact that JavaFX only works in Windows XP/Vista/7 at
> the moment - a Mac version exists but is apparently not that mature yet
> and a Linux version is anticipated _eventually_ - I submit that JavaFX
> may not be worthy of a great deal of development effort yet, at least for
> those who want to develop things that are going to run on multiple
> platforms, some of which _aren't_ Windows.
>
> It may be "the next big thing" before too long and it may be worth
> investing some time to learn now rather than jumping on the bandwagon
> later but I'm not inclined to put much time into it until it's clear that
> it will be made available for all the platforms on which we expect to run
> our Java code. A statement of commitment indicating that Mac and Linux
> versions WILL be available at the same or similar level to the Windows
> versions by some not-too-distant date is probably all I need to get more
> enthusiastic about JavaFX....


Did you read the text you commented on?

"6. Is JavaFX replacing Swing as the new client UI library for Java SE?
Yes."

It says that JavaFX will become part of Java SE.

Then it will be on all platforms with (that version
or higher of) Java SE.

Arne




Arne Vajh°j 02-16-2012 11:33 PM

Re: Swing is dead! Long live Swing.
 
On 2/15/2012 11:13 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:25:19 -0800, Knute Johnson
> <nospam@rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
> someone who said :
>
>> I've just started playing with JavaFX and I've got a long way to go to
>> really understand it but it looks fairly simple. I don't know what it
>> is going to be like to produce the type of GUI interfaces that I usually
>> do for work with it though.

>
> I have been hoping for a new way of doing GUIs that was more like CSS,
> where you don't specify all the details for every component
> explicitly.


That is one of the features JavaFX offers.

And Knute did even mention it (you just did not quote that part).

Arne


Knute Johnson 02-16-2012 11:50 PM

Re: Swing is dead! Long live Swing.
 
On 2/16/2012 3:29 PM, Arne Vajh°j wrote:
>
> PS: JavaFX is actually rather cool.


I bought a book and am starting to try to learn the differences. The
thought of starting over with a new API is a little daunting.

--

Knute Johnson

Arne Vajh°j 02-16-2012 11:52 PM

Re: Swing is dead! Long live Swing.
 
On 2/16/2012 6:50 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
> On 2/16/2012 3:29 PM, Arne Vajh°j wrote:
>> PS: JavaFX is actually rather cool.

>
> I bought a book and am starting to try to learn the differences. The
> thought of starting over with a new API is a little daunting.


Do yourself a favor and start using FXML and CSS right away.

Arne



Knute Johnson 02-17-2012 12:01 AM

Re: Swing is dead! Long live Swing.
 
On 2/16/2012 3:52 PM, Arne Vajh°j wrote:
> On 2/16/2012 6:50 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
>> On 2/16/2012 3:29 PM, Arne Vajh°j wrote:
>>> PS: JavaFX is actually rather cool.

>>
>> I bought a book and am starting to try to learn the differences. The
>> thought of starting over with a new API is a little daunting.

>
> Do yourself a favor and start using FXML and CSS right away.
>
> Arne
>
>


I'm going to need another book :-).

--

Knute Johnson

Arne Vajh°j 02-17-2012 12:07 AM

Re: Swing is dead! Long live Swing.
 
On 2/16/2012 7:01 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
> On 2/16/2012 3:52 PM, Arne Vajh°j wrote:
>> On 2/16/2012 6:50 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
>>> On 2/16/2012 3:29 PM, Arne Vajh°j wrote:
>>>> PS: JavaFX is actually rather cool.
>>>
>>> I bought a book and am starting to try to learn the differences. The
>>> thought of starting over with a new API is a little daunting.

>>
>> Do yourself a favor and start using FXML and CSS right away.

>
> I'm going to need another book :-).


javafx.* classes are fine, but that is just another GUI
API. It is when you start using fxml and css files that
it really becomes different.

Arne




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.