Velocity Reviews

-   -   Google Maps and Java (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t868332-google-maps-and-java.html)

SL 02-15-2012 06:34 AM

Google Maps and Java

I am trying to write a java programs on windows xp which will show google
maps. I suppose it will have to do with web services as done by a browser.

Being pretty new with java, can anybody offer some tips ?

Thanks.

Jeff Higgins 02-15-2012 10:30 AM

Re: Google Maps and Java

On 02/15/2012 01:34 AM, SL wrote:
> I am trying to write a java programs on windows xp which will show google
> maps. I suppose it will have to do with web services as done by a browser.
>
> Being pretty new with java, can anybody offer some tips ?
>
> Thanks.

Documentation begins here.
<http://code.google.com/apis/maps/index.html>

Lew 02-15-2012 05:49 PM

Re: Google Maps and Java

Jeff Higgins wrote:
> SL wrote:
> > I am trying to write a java [sic] programs on windows [sic] xp [sic] which will show google [sic]
> > maps. I suppose it will have to do with web services as done by a browser.
> >
> > Being pretty new with java [sic], can anybody offer some tips ?
> >

> Documentation begins here.
> <http://code.google.com/apis/maps/index.html>

and here:
<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/index.html>

--
Lew

Roedy Green 02-16-2012 04:10 PM

Re: Google Maps and Java

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:34:03 +0800, "SL" <sb5309@hotmail.com> wrote,

>Being pretty new with java, can anybody offer some tips ?

It is best to start with the simplest imaginable program and get that
working, then gradually add features.

That way you are always building on a correct understanding of the
API.

It is so easy to misinterpret documentation and create a giant mess
you cannot begin to debug.

Try using Google to find sample code snippets.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Lew 02-16-2012 07:32 PM

Re: Google Maps and Java

Roedy Green wrote:
> "SL" wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
>> Being pretty new with java, can anybody offer some tips ?

> It is best to start with the simplest imaginable program and get that
> working, then gradually add features.
>
> That way you are always building on a correct understanding of the
> API.
>
> It is so easy to misinterpret documentation and create a giant mess
> you cannot begin to debug.
>
> Try using Google to find sample code snippets.

That is excellent advice, and a more detailed beginner's approach along those
lines is available on Dr.) Patricia Shanahan's site, the "Beginner" page. (Dr.
Shanahan is a valued contributor to this newsgroup.)
http://www.patriciashanahan.com/beginner.html

--
Lew