Velocity Reviews

-   -   Date missing from message headers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t8683-date-missing-from-message-headers.html)

Danny Colyer 04-24-2004 08:47 PM

Date missing from message headers

I installed Mozilla 1.6 a few days ago to try out the news and mail
reader. I'm very happy with it, now that I've found my way around, but
yesterday I noticed that my received e-mail headers contained only
times, no dates (they had been fine up until that point).

I first assumed it was a problem with my mailserver, then I noticed the
same problem with newsgroups. I downloaded the same news posts in OE6
and the dates are fine there, so the problem seems to be with Mozilla.

Then I discovered Thunderbird 0.5, which I tried and made my default
mail/newsreader. But it has the same problem.

Any ideas what might cause this? I've found nothing with Google. I'm
using W2K and I believe the only significant change I made to Mozilla
after installing it was to install the Walnut theme.

<url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>

Caffeine Junkie 04-24-2004 09:27 PM

Re: Date missing from message headers

Danny Colyer writes:

> I installed Mozilla 1.6 a few days ago to try out the news and mail
> reader. I'm very happy with it, now that I've found my way around, but
> yesterday I noticed that my received e-mail headers contained only
> times, no dates (they had been fine up until that point).
>
> I first assumed it was a problem with my mailserver, then I noticed the
> same problem with newsgroups. I downloaded the same news posts in OE6
> and the dates are fine there, so the problem seems to be with Mozilla.
>
> Then I discovered Thunderbird 0.5, which I tried and made my default
> mail/newsreader. But it has the same problem.
>
> Any ideas what might cause this? I've found nothing with Google. I'm
> using W2K and I believe the only significant change I made to Mozilla
> after installing it was to install the Walnut theme.

It's a feature. Anything dated today will display just the time,
anything dated yesterday or before will display both the date and time.

--
Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.

Danny Colyer 04-25-2004 10:07 AM

I wrote:
>> yesterday I noticed that my received e-mail headers contained only
>> times, no dates (they had been fine up until that point).

and Caffeine Junkie advised:
> It's a feature. Anything dated today will display just the time,
> anything dated yesterday or before will display both the date and time.

Yup, I can see that yesterday's messages now display a date. Perhaps
I'd have picked up on this quicker if I hadn't done most of my initial
testing at about midnight on successive days!

Anyway, it's a great relief to know I'm not actually losing header
information. Thanks.

<url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>