Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   problem importing a canon powershot sx1 raw file (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t868221-problem-importing-a-canon-powershot-sx1-raw-file.html)

sobriquet 02-11-2012 10:40 PM

problem importing a canon powershot sx1 raw file
 
Hi.

My Canon Powershot SX1 produces CRW raw files, but somehow I'm having trouble
importing them in Photoshop CS5 (even after updating ACR to the latest version
6.6).

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsx1is/

Does anyone know of any conversion tool or utility that might somehow allow this raw file to be read or perhaps converted to DNG or another format that would allow me to import it in ACR?

Here is a sample raw file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?hbk5yvj6c3hydcq

kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

sobriquet 02-11-2012 10:49 PM

Re: problem importing a canon powershot sx1 raw file
 

According to this information, the raw file should be supported by ACR:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html

However, I've used the CHDK firmware hack on the camera (hence the CRW extension rather than CR2 extension) and somehow this has yielded a raw file in a different format.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Ron 02-11-2012 11:03 PM

Re: problem importing a canon powershot sx1 raw file
 
"sobriquet" wrote in message
news:16844389.433.1329000571800.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@ynbq20...


According to this information, the raw file should be supported by ACR:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html

However, I've used the CHDK firmware hack on the camera (hence the CRW
extension rather than CR2 extension) and somehow this has yielded a raw file
in a different format.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
++++++++++++++++++++++
Have your tried using Canon's software to convert the RAW file to a TIFF and
then import the TIFF into PS?

Ron
++++++++++++++++++++++


sobriquet 02-11-2012 11:25 PM

Re: problem importing a canon powershot sx1 raw file
 

Op zondag 12 februari 2012 00:03:20 UTC+1 schreef Ron het volgende:
> "sobriquet" wrote in message
> news:16844389.433.1329000571800.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@ynbq20...
>
>
> According to this information, the raw file should be supported by ACR:
>
> http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html
>
> However, I've used the CHDK firmware hack on the camera (hence the CRW
> extension rather than CR2 extension) and somehow this has yielded a raw file
> in a different format.
>
> http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
> ++++++++++++++++++++++
> Have your tried using Canon's software to convert the RAW file to a TIFF and
> then import the TIFF into PS?
>
> Ron
> ++++++++++++++++++++++



Nope, but I very much doubt it will work.
It seems that the raw file produced by CHDK is about as raw as it gets (unlike the raw file produced by the camera when using the standard firmware). So it's just a dump of sensor data without any header that specifies the resolution and things like that.

I guess the next time I have to ensure using the DNG raw format in the CHDKoptions (which is more likely to be recognized propery by various programsthat can handle raw files). But I will inquire some more on the CHDK forums to see if there is any way to convert this CRW file to DNG format.

sobriquet 02-11-2012 11:45 PM

Re: problem importing a canon powershot sx1 raw file
 
Op zondag 12 februari 2012 00:25:51 UTC+1 schreef sobriquet het volgende:
> Op zondag 12 februari 2012 00:03:20 UTC+1 schreef Ron het volgende:
> > "sobriquet" wrote in message
> > news:16844389.433.1329000571800.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@ynbq20....
> >
> >
> > According to this information, the raw file should be supported by ACR:
> >
> > http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html
> >
> > However, I've used the CHDK firmware hack on the camera (hence the CRW
> > extension rather than CR2 extension) and somehow this has yielded a rawfile
> > in a different format.
> >
> > http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
> > ++++++++++++++++++++++
> > Have your tried using Canon's software to convert the RAW file to a TIFF and
> > then import the TIFF into PS?
> >
> > Ron
> > ++++++++++++++++++++++

>
>
> Nope, but I very much doubt it will work.
> It seems that the raw file produced by CHDK is about as raw as it gets (unlike the raw file produced by the camera when using the standard firmware).. So it's just a dump of sensor data without any header that specifies the resolution and things like that.
>
> I guess the next time I have to ensure using the DNG raw format in the CHDK options (which is more likely to be recognized propery by various programs that can handle raw files). But I will inquire some more on the CHDK forums to see if there is any way to convert this CRW file to DNG format.


Hopefully someone on the CHDK forum has some hints on converting this CRW format to a more usable raw format like DNG.

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7647.0

I have tried using the CHDK firmware to develop the raw image inside the camera, but that yields a JPG rather than a DNG image. As far as I can see there is no in-camera CRW->DNG conversion option in CHDK.

sobriquet 02-11-2012 11:53 PM

Re: problem importing a canon powershot sx1 raw file
 
Op zondag 12 februari 2012 00:43:05 UTC+1 schreef Savageduck het volgende:
> On 2012-02-11 14:40:23 -0800, sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> said:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > My Canon Powershot SX1 produces CRW raw files, but somehow I'm having trouble
> > importing them in Photoshop CS5 (even after updating ACR to the latest version
> > 6.6).
> >
> > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsx1is/
> >
> > Does anyone know of any conversion tool or utility that might somehow
> > allow this raw file to be read or perhaps converted to DNG or another
> > format that would allow me to import it in ACR?
> >
> > Here is a sample raw file:
> > http://www.mediafire.com/?hbk5yvj6c3hydcq
> >
> > kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

>
> The first thing I would ask is, do you have the version of DPP which
> came with your SX1?
> If not check with Canon support.


I'm afraid that won't work, as the CRW file is not something the SX1 normally creates (only with the CHDK firmware hack).

> <
> http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...ersAndSoftware
> >

>
> I checked here < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_Image_File_Format
> > and it seems that CRW should be supported by both Photoshop and

> Lightroom, as well as DNG Converter. I was not able to open your RAW
> file with CS5, LR2 or the current DNG Converter. However a check of
> Adobe's site reveals the following, that Adobe supports "Powershot SX1
> IS" RAW files as CR2 not CWR from ACR version 5.4.
> So I have no idea if the issue is with your camera writing CWR and not
> CR2, or Adobe getting it wrong.
>
> < http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html >


Without the CHDK firmware hack, the SX1 does yield CR2 images, but this CRWformat is a kind of alternative raw format from the CHDK firmware that consists of raw sensor data without any meta data whatsoever (while the regular CR2 raw files usually contain some meta data).

Simply renaming the extension from CRW to CR2 doesn't work.
Judging from sample PS-SX1 CR2 raw files, it seems that the CR2 format involves some kind of compression. So I can't simply add the header of a PS-SX1CR2 raw file and paste it in front of the CRW data in a hex editor.


>
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck



sobriquet 02-11-2012 11:58 PM

Re: problem importing a canon powershot sx1 raw file
 
Op zondag 12 februari 2012 00:44:36 UTC+1 schreef Savageduck het volgende:
> On 2012-02-11 14:49:31 -0800, sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> said:
>
> >
> > According to this information, the raw file should be supported by ACR:
> >
> > http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html
> >
> > However, I've used the CHDK firmware hack on the camera (hence the CRW
> > extension rather than CR2 extension) and somehow this has yielded a raw
> > file in a different format.
> >
> > http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

>
> ...and therein lies your problem. Adobe supports a normal SX1 not a hacked one.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck


Well, it was my mistake. If I had used the DNG option in the CHDK settings, I wouldn't have any problem with the raw file.

CHDK is not to blame, and it really is a pretty cool firmware hack with nifty features (like taking pics automatically based on motion detection).

Robert Coe 02-12-2012 12:43 AM

Re: problem importing a canon powershot sx1 raw file
 
On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:40:23 -0800 (PST), sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com>
wrote:
: Hi.
:
: My Canon Powershot SX1 produces CRW raw files, but somehow I'm having trouble
: importing them in Photoshop CS5 (even after updating ACR to the latest version
: 6.6).
:
: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsx1is/
:
: Does anyone know of any conversion tool or utility that might somehow allow this raw file to be read or perhaps converted to DNG or another format that would allow me to import it in ACR?
:
: Here is a sample raw file:
: http://www.mediafire.com/?hbk5yvj6c3hydcq
:
: kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

Digital Photo Professional (recent version) doesn't recognize the file type.
Zoombrowser does, but considers the file misformatted and won't open it. I
have at least one newer version of Zoombrowser, but I don't believe recent
versions can read RAW mode at all. (They tell you to do RAW conversion with
DPP.)

My G-5 was the only Canon P&S on which I ever used RAW mode. Each image had
both a .CRW file and a .THM (thumbnail) file. Is it possible that the
complaint in this case is that the .THM file is missing? It seems unlikely,
but you never know.

Bob

Robert Coe 02-12-2012 12:52 AM

Re: problem importing a canon powershot sx1 raw file
 
On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:49:31 -0800 (PST), sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com>
wrote:
:
: According to this information, the raw file should be supported by ACR:
:
: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html
:
: However, I've used the CHDK firmware hack on the camera (hence the CRW extension rather than CR2 extension) and somehow this has yielded a raw file in a different format.
:
: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

When I read your first note, I wondered how you got such an old file format on
what I thought was a relatively recent camera. .CRW and .CR2 are not the same,
and I believe they're mutually incompatible under all circumstances. What you
need, I suppose is a .CRW - to - .CR2 converter, which is an animal I've never
seen.

BTW, I did try renaming your file to .CR2 (just in case it actually was a .CR2
file), but that didn't work either.

Bob

Robert Coe 02-12-2012 12:56 AM

Re: problem importing a canon powershot sx1 raw file
 
On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:49:31 -0800 (PST), sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com>
wrote:
:
: According to this information, the raw file should be supported by ACR:
:
: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html
:
: However, I've used the CHDK firmware hack on the camera (hence the CRW extension rather than CR2 extension) and somehow this has yielded a raw file in a different format.
:
: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Isn't there an informal self-help group of CHDK users? What do they say about
this?

Bob


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.