Velocity Reviews

-   -   IrfanView Comments data - bug? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t868154-irfanview-comments-data-bug.html)

Terry Pinnell 02-10-2012 10:38 AM

IrfanView Comments data - bug?

I'd appreciate others trying to reproduce this please. Not sure if it's my
misunderstanding or a minor bug.

A handy feature is that in a JPG Comment you can enter things like $F to
get the filename and $E306 for the EXIF Date/Time.

But if I try to place both on the same line, e.g.

$F EXIF Date/Time = $E306

then it fails, displaying just the raw codes.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

me 02-10-2012 10:50 AM

Re: IrfanView Comments data - bug?

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:38:09 +0000, Terry Pinnell
<terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>I'd appreciate others trying to reproduce this please. Not sure if it's my
>misunderstanding or a minor bug.
>
>A handy feature is that in a JPG Comment you can enter things like $F to
>get the filename and $E306 for the EXIF Date/Time.
>
>But if I try to place both on the same line, e.g.
>
>$F EXIF Date/Time = $E306
>
>then it fails, displaying just the raw codes.

Sigh, each goes on a separate line.

Terry Pinnell 02-10-2012 02:04 PM

Re: IrfanView Comments data - bug?

Terry Pinnell <terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>I'd appreciate others trying to reproduce this please. Not sure if it's my
>misunderstanding or a minor bug.
>
>A handy feature is that in a JPG Comment you can enter things like $F to
>get the filename and $E306 for the EXIF Date/Time.
>
>But if I try to place both on the same line, e.g.
>
>$F EXIF Date/Time = $E306
>
>then it fails, displaying just the raw codes.

On an associated point, any of these codes that generate the '\'
character, such as $D for the full file path, result in duplicated
slashes, '\\'. For example, results like
C:\\Docs\\My Pictures\\PHOTOS\\Walks UK\\TP04\\TP04-Day3\\

Bug or by design?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Richard 02-10-2012 02:20 PM

http://irfanview-forum.de/forum.php

Terry Pinnell 02-10-2012 02:27 PM

me <me@mine.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:38:09 +0000, Terry Pinnell
><terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>>I'd appreciate others trying to reproduce this please. Not sure if it's my
>>misunderstanding or a minor bug.
>>
>>A handy feature is that in a JPG Comment you can enter things like $F to
>>get the filename and $E306 for the EXIF Date/Time.
>>
>>But if I try to place both on the same line, e.g.
>>
>>$F EXIF Date/Time = $E306
>>
>>then it fails, displaying just the raw codes.

>Sigh, each goes on a separate line.

No need for the sigh - especially as you're mistaken. Both codes *can* go
on the same line.

It was my own stupid mistake. I must have forgotten to
perform the Write command before examining the result.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Robert Coe 02-11-2012 01:46 AM

Re: IrfanView Comments data - bug?

:
: >I'd appreciate others trying to reproduce this please. Not sure if it's my
: >misunderstanding or a minor bug.
: >
: >A handy feature is that in a JPG Comment you can enter things like $F to
: >get the filename and $E306 for the EXIF Date/Time.
: >
: >But if I try to place both on the same line, e.g.
: >
: >$F EXIF Date/Time = $E306
: >
: >then it fails, displaying just the raw codes.
:
: On an associated point, any of these codes that generate the '\'
: character, such as $D for the full file path, result in duplicated
: slashes, '\\'. For example, results like
: C:\\Docs\\My Pictures\\PHOTOS\\Walks UK\\TP04\\TP04-Day3\\
:
: Bug or by design?

A consequence of Irfanview's Unix roots, most likely. Pretty universally in
Unix, the backslash is a quoting character and must be doubled if an actual
backslash is intended. Some Windows programs recognize this and are somewhat
forgiving of inappropriate doubled backslashes. Most aren't.

Bob

David J Taylor 02-11-2012 08:47 AM

Re: IrfanView Comments data - bug?

> A consequence of Irfanview's Unix roots, most likely. Pretty universally
> in
> Unix, the backslash is a quoting character and must be doubled if an
> actual
> backslash is intended. Some Windows programs recognize this and are
> somewhat
> forgiving of inappropriate doubled backslashes. Most aren't.
>
> Bob

IrfanView is a pure Windows program:

http://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm#Q57

The double-backslash requirement may be a function of using the C
language.

Cheers,
David

Terry Pinnell 02-11-2012 03:45 PM

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>> A consequence of Irfanview's Unix roots, most likely. Pretty universally
>> in
>> Unix, the backslash is a quoting character and must be doubled if an
>> actual
>> backslash is intended. Some Windows programs recognize this and are
>> somewhat
>> forgiving of inappropriate doubled backslashes. Most aren't.
>>
>> Bob

>IrfanView is a pure Windows program:
>
> http://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm#Q57
>
>The double-backslash requirement may be a function of using the C
>language.
>
>Cheers,
>David

Thanks both.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terry Pinnell 02-11-2012 03:59 PM

"Richard" <smithski@btinternet.com.invalid> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell wrote:
>> Terry Pinnell <terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd appreciate others trying to reproduce this please. Not sure if
>>> it's my misunderstanding or a minor bug.
>>>
>>> A handy feature is that in a JPG Comment you can enter things like
>>> $F to get the filename and $E306 for the EXIF Date/Time.
>>>
>>> But if I try to place both on the same line, e.g.
>>>
>>> $F EXIF Date/Time = $E306
>>>
>>> then it fails, displaying just the raw codes.

>> On an associated point, any of these codes that generate the '\'
>> character, such as $D for the full file path, result in duplicated
>> slashes, '\\'. For example, results like
>> C:\\Docs\\My Pictures\\PHOTOS\\Walks UK\\TP04\\TP04-Day3\\
>>
>> Bug or by design?

>http://irfanview-forum.de/forum.php

Thanks, duly joined for future use. (With great difficulty registering!
Gave up on the ambiguous images after 3 failed attempts and tried an MP3.
Eventually succeeded. A few forums go way OTT on this stuff IMO.)

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK