Velocity Reviews

-   -   OM-D released, something weird about the skin (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t868048-om-d-released-something-weird-about-the-skin.html)

RichA 02-08-2012 03:05 AM

OM-D released, something weird about the skin

There appears to be two different body claddings. I'd much prefer the
pebble texture to whatever that is on the black model.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02...E-M5_announced

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/oly...lroundview.jpg

Kennedy McEwen 02-09-2012 06:10 PM

Re: OM-D released, something weird about the skin

In article
<da196f4d-059a-4261-b002-d03e668c0c43@15g2000vbq.googlegroups.com>,
RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> writes
>There appears to be two different body claddings. I'd much prefer the
>pebble texture to whatever that is on the black model.
>
>http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02...E-M5_announced
>
>http://www.dpreview.com/previews/oly...lroundview.jpg

Something weird about the entire DP preview. Take a look at page 6:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusEM5/page6.asp

Until this morning, when they Photoshopped it, that image towards the
bottom of the page of the camera with accessories wasn't even branded
OM-D. It was this image:
http://tinyurl.com/74hhk83 of an Olympus camera called an ON-M!

Olympus Schizo! ;-)
--
Kennedy

Mike 02-09-2012 06:57 PM

Re: OM-D yawn

Why would a user of the 24x36mm OM-1/2/3/4 be anxious for a 1/4 frame
(17.3 x 13 mm) look-a-like?

What is with all the "excitement" it's a smaller sensor than APS-C.

--
Mike

Kennedy McEwen 02-09-2012 07:47 PM

Re: OM-D yawn

In article <jh14u3$d8o$2@speranza.aioe.org>, Mike <none@none.invalid>
writes
>Why would a user of the 24x36mm OM-1/2/3/4 be anxious for a 1/4 frame
>(17.3 x 13 mm) look-a-like?

Perhaps they are tired of getting film developed. But there have been
closer look-alikes before, even from Olympus. The E-420 is one example
that springs to mind. The OM-D looks more like an ugly OM-10 or the
Cosina made OM-2000 than it does to any Olympus classic. Just like
those models, there isn't even any control where the shutter speed
selector would be on an OM-x.

They had to wait till Maitani was dead and buried before naming this
monstrosity.

>What is with all the "excitement" it's a smaller sensor than APS-C.

Its closer to 110.
--
Kennedy

RichA 02-09-2012 11:50 PM

Re: OM-D yawn

On Feb 9, 2:47*pm, Kennedy McEwen <r...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <jh14u3$d8...@speranza.aioe.org>, Mike <n...@none.invalid>
> writes>Why would a user of the 24x36mm OM-1/2/3/4 be anxious for a 1/4 frame
> >(17.3 x 13 mm) look-a-like?

> Perhaps they are tired of getting film developed. *But there have been
> closer look-alikes before, even from Olympus. *The E-420 is one example
> that springs to mind. *The OM-D looks more like an ugly OM-10 or the
> Cosina made OM-2000 than it does to any Olympus classic. *Just like
> those models, there isn't even any control where the shutter speed
> selector would be on an OM-x.
>
> They had to wait till Maitani was dead and buried before naming this
> monstrosity.
>
> >What is with all the "excitement" it's a smaller sensor than APS-C.

> Its closer to 110.
> --
> Kennedy
> Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed;
> A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's ****ed.
> Python Philosophers * * * * (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)

Well, Olympus people have been asking for something with a shape akin
to their old SLRs. But aside from that,
I think the overall trend toward smaller gear is inevitable. The
only reason Nikon and Canon are still making such large pro bodies is
they think the users will balk at paying $5000+ for something as
"small" as the D800 or 5DII.