Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   Losing a whole year (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t867992-losing-a-whole-year.html)

otter 02-05-2012 08:46 PM

Losing a whole year
 
My hard drive crashed, which isn't entirely bad, since I got to
upgrade to a new SSD, and things are spiffy. However, when I went to
recover my files, I found my backup drive hasn't actually been working
- for about a year! Of course, I am pursuing all recovery options,
but I find myself identifying with this song at the moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwlqymYLCb4

otter 02-07-2012 12:35 AM

Re: Losing a whole year
 
On Feb 6, 10:19*am, Val Hallah <michaelnewp...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 5, 9:46*pm, otter <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My hard drive crashed, which isn't entirely bad, since I got to
> > upgrade to a new SSD, and things are spiffy. *However, when I went to
> > recover my files, I found my backup drive hasn't actually been working
> > - for about a year! *Of course, I am pursuing all recovery options,
> > but I find myself identifying with this song at the moment:

>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwlqymYLCb4

>
> I load the fotos up to Flickr and do not resize them, giving me an
> online backup backup


I have most of my good JPEGs on flickr, but not the DNGs.
Once I get what I can restored, I will probably start using a service
like Carbonite, and back up to the cloud.

snapper@mailinator.com 02-07-2012 08:31 PM

Re: Losing a whole year
 
On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 12:46:25 -0800 (PST), otter <bighorn_bill@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My hard drive crashed, which isn't entirely bad, since I got to
> upgrade to a new SSD, and things are spiffy. However, when I went to
> recover my files, I found my backup drive hasn't actually been working
> - for about a year! Of course, I am pursuing all recovery options,
> but I find myself identifying with this song at the moment:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwlqymYLCb4


It won't help, but I believe important stuff should be backed up a minimum of 3 times. I
use 2 hard drives, one of which is stored at a friend's place, and rewriteable Blu Ray
disks. Every four years I replace the hard drives. The old ones, still working perfectly,
are stored.

MC 02-07-2012 11:50 PM

Re: Losing a whole year
 
snapper@mailinator.com wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 12:46:25 -0800 (PST), otter
> <bighorn_bill@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > My hard drive crashed, which isn't entirely bad, since I got to
> > upgrade to a new SSD, and things are spiffy. However, when I went
> > to recover my files, I found my backup drive hasn't actually been
> > working - for about a year! Of course, I am pursuing all recovery
> > options, but I find myself identifying with this song at the moment:
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwlqymYLCb4

>
> It won't help, but I believe important stuff should be backed up a
> minimum of 3 times. I use 2 hard drives, one of which is stored at a
> friend's place, and rewriteable Blu Ray disks. Every four years I
> replace the hard drives. The old ones, still working perfectly, are
> stored.



Agreed. If your photographs are important to you, one backup is just
asking for trouble.

MC

NotMe 02-08-2012 12:10 AM

Re: Losing a whole year
 

"otter" <bighorn_bill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:0ab5951e-6132-4933-afee-3f407eaf0c06@x19g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...
> My hard drive crashed, which isn't entirely bad, since I got to
> upgrade to a new SSD, and things are spiffy. However, when I went to
> recover my files, I found my backup drive hasn't actually been working
> - for about a year! Of course, I am pursuing all recovery options,
> but I find myself identifying with this song at the moment:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwlqymYLCb4


Proceed very carefully with the SSD drives. We used them in our studio for
a while and not one lasted over 9 months.

As to back up best to have multiples and off site.



Wolfgang Weisselberg 02-08-2012 02:19 AM

Re: Losing a whole year
 
otter <bighorn_bill@hotmail.com> wrote:
> My hard drive crashed, which isn't entirely bad, since I got to
> upgrade to a new SSD, and things are spiffy. However, when I went to
> recover my files, I found my backup drive hasn't actually been working
> - for about a year!


Always check your backup is working.

Additionally, you don't want (just) backup for your photos, you
want archival for your shots & co. Conecptually a completely
different thing, and most backup systems don't handle that task
well, even for non-company uses (companies need to archive data
e.g. for legal purposes, and need to be able to efficiently search
that data when e.g. litigated, checked for tax compliance etc.).

Archival needs to be long-term (decades at least, better centuries)
--- HDs aren't very good, they die, aren't shockproof, etc.
At best you'd need multiple copies that are copied onto new HDs
every couple of years.

Archival should probably available on a second location (bank
vault, the cloud, a friend's house) as well as local to survive
local disasters --- fire, flood, theft.

Archival needs to have a low TCO --- not only in money, but
also in work. (Copying to new media, temperature and humidity
controlled, space you need for it if that's a premium (e.g. in
your bank vault), ...)

Archival should be unalterable and hard to damage. (HDs, magnetic
tapes, rewritable DVDs/BlueRays aren't. Far too many hazards.)

OTOH, archival doesn't need to be a speed demon. It's not going
over your whole HD every night, or copying everything new every
5 minutes (at *worst* it only needs to copy specific things in
real time: emails or new photos or new documents. Usually you
don't even need that.)

Efficient retrival (e.g. with a database of files/objects/
etc. showing which medium to use) is needed, but worst case can
be rebuild from the archive itself.

-Wolfgang

otter 02-08-2012 06:56 AM

Re: Losing a whole year
 
On Feb 7, 6:10*pm, "NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> "otter" <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:0ab5951e-6132-4933-afee-3f407eaf0c06@x19g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...
>
> > My hard drive crashed, which isn't entirely bad, since I got to
> > upgrade to a new SSD, and things are spiffy. *However, when I went to
> > recover my files, I found my backup drive hasn't actually been working
> > - for about a year! *Of course, I am pursuing all recovery options,
> > but I find myself identifying with this song at the moment:

>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwlqymYLCb4

>
> Proceed *very carefully with the SSD drives. *We used them in our studio for
> a while and not one lasted over 9 months.
>
> As to back up best to have multiples and off site.


Yeah, I think I finally learned the lesson about backing up.

The SSD is so much fun, it is worth it, even if it crashes.

David J Taylor 02-08-2012 09:17 AM

Re: Losing a whole year
 
"NotMe" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:jgseii$3aj$1@dont-email.me...
[]
> Proceed very carefully with the SSD drives. We used them in our studio
> for
> a while and not one lasted over 9 months.
>
> As to back up best to have multiples and off site.


Yes, analyse your disk I/O and anything which has a high I/O byte count
put it on HDD not SSD. In Windows-7 you can use the Task Manger, Resource
Monitor option, to find the processes and files with highest disk
activity. Keep "hot" files off the SSD.

I tend to treat an SSD as being a "read-only" device, with as little
writing as possible. It may also help to oversize the drive - get a 120
GB drive if you anticipate requiring 60 GB of storage (e.g. for Windows
and programs).

Cheers,
David


nospam 02-08-2012 03:17 PM

Re: Losing a whole year
 
In article
<0ab5951e-6132-4933-afee-3f407eaf0c06@x19g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
otter <bighorn_bill@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My hard drive crashed, which isn't entirely bad, since I got to
> upgrade to a new SSD, and things are spiffy. However, when I went to
> recover my files, I found my backup drive hasn't actually been working
> - for about a year! Of course, I am pursuing all recovery options,
> but I find myself identifying with this song at the moment:


always test your backups.

nospam 02-08-2012 03:17 PM

Re: Losing a whole year
 
In article <jgtek4$t3$1@dont-email.me>, David J Taylor
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> Yes, analyse your disk I/O and anything which has a high I/O byte count
> put it on HDD not SSD. In Windows-7 you can use the Task Manger, Resource
> Monitor option, to find the processes and files with highest disk
> activity. Keep "hot" files off the SSD.


that's backwards. you want high i/o on ssd to maximize its speed gains.
there's very little point in putting occasional use files on ssd,
especially since the cost per gig is much higher. a good balance is put
the system and apps on ssd and media files (movies, photos, etc) on a
hard drive.

> I tend to treat an SSD as being a "read-only" device, with as little
> writing as possible. It may also help to oversize the drive - get a 120
> GB drive if you anticipate requiring 60 GB of storage (e.g. for Windows
> and programs).


that's also a bad idea.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.