Velocity Reviews

-   -   Nikon V1 already falling out of favour (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t867973-nikon-v1-already-falling-out-of-favour.html)

RichA 02-04-2012 12:02 AM

Nikon V1 already falling out of favour

$900 for something that is beaten by every mirrorless camera out
there? Since Dpreview's scathing review of it, traffic is way down
on the Nikon group. IMO, the people from Nikon, used to accolades for
their DSLR's don't like being the odd men out when it comes to their
gear.

Bruce 02-07-2012 08:24 AM

Re: Nikon V1 already falling out of favour

RichA <rander3127@gmail.com> wrote:
>$900 for something that is beaten by every mirrorless camera out
>there? Since Dpreview's scathing review of it, traffic is way down
>on the Nikon group. IMO, the people from Nikon, used to accolades for
>their DSLR's don't like being the odd men out when it comes to their
>gear.

There are huge discounts on the 1 System in Europe.

J1 prices are down by 30%, which is unprecedented for a new model.

nospam 02-08-2012 03:17 PM

Re: Nikon V1 already falling out of favour

In article <hsn1j7h2qdic7ruuqjqbd6j75jk2hmdrlg@4ax.com>, Bruce
<docnews2011@gmail.com> wrote:

> >$900 for something that is beaten by every mirrorless camera out
> >there? Since Dpreview's scathing review of it, traffic is way down
> >on the Nikon group. IMO, the people from Nikon, used to accolades for
> >their DSLR's don't like being the odd men out when it comes to their
> >gear.

> There are huge discounts on the 1 System in Europe.
>
> J1 prices are down by 30%, which is unprecedented for a new model.

you want unprecedented?

today, sigma announced a staggering $6400 price cut on the sd1, from an
idiotic msrp of $9700 to an msrp of $3300 (street price will be less).
that's a 66% price cut in *one* single day. the dozen or so morons who
already bought an sd1 and foolishly paid full price will get 'points'
that can be used for sigma products.

and that's not the first time either. the sigma sd14 started at $1599
street price and was selling for under $400 about a year later. that's
75% off, or $1200 savings, just for waiting several months.

Robert Coe 02-10-2012 10:27 PM

:
: > >$900 for something that is beaten by every mirrorless camera out
: > >there? Since Dpreview's scathing review of it, traffic is way down
: > >on the Nikon group. IMO, the people from Nikon, used to accolades for
: > >their DSLR's don't like being the odd men out when it comes to their
: > >gear.
: >
: > There are huge discounts on the 1 System in Europe.
: >
: > J1 prices are down by 30%, which is unprecedented for a new model.
:
: you want unprecedented?
:
: today, sigma announced a staggering $6400 price cut on the sd1, from an
: idiotic msrp of $9700 to an msrp of $3300 (street price will be less).
: that's a 66% price cut in *one* single day. the dozen or so morons who
: already bought an sd1 and foolishly paid full price will get 'points'
: that can be used for sigma products.
:
: and that's not the first time either. the sigma sd14 started at $1599
: street price and was selling for under $400 about a year later. that's
: 75% off, or $1200 savings, just for waiting several months.

There's a certain logic to that pricing policy, isn't there? You make a few
$$$ off the really stupid; than you drop down and target the moderately stupid
for a while; then drop down again and target the slightly stupid, then the
merely ignorant, and so on.

Bob

nospam 02-10-2012 11:25 PM

Re: Nikon V1 already falling out of favour

In article <726bj71b9lef62h1t12mvvn4upkpvbl6m0@4ax.com>, Robert Coe
<bob@1776.COM> wrote:

> : > J1 prices are down by 30%, which is unprecedented for a new model.
> :
> : you want unprecedented?
> :
> : today, sigma announced a staggering $6400 price cut on the sd1, from an
> : idiotic msrp of $9700 to an msrp of $3300 (street price will be less).
> : that's a 66% price cut in *one* single day. the dozen or so morons who
> : already bought an sd1 and foolishly paid full price will get 'points'
> : that can be used for sigma products.
> :
> : and that's not the first time either. the sigma sd14 started at $1599
> : street price and was selling for under $400 about a year later. that's
> : 75% off, or $1200 savings, just for waiting several months.
>
> There's a certain logic to that pricing policy, isn't there? You make a few
> $$$ off the really stupid; than you drop down and target the moderately stupid
> for a while; then drop down again and target the slightly stupid, then the
> merely ignorant, and so on.

generally yes, but nowhere remotely close to that level. have you ever
seen a price cut anywhere close to that magnitude in one day?

keep in mind that sigma originally said the sd1 would be 'in the 7d
price range', which means this price cut prices it where they said it
was going to be all along. they lied and are now trying to weasel out
of it.

the camera is such an colossal failure and this whole sd1-merrill
silliness is insulting to dick merrill.

Robert Coe 02-10-2012 11:56 PM

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 18:25:40 -0500, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
: In article <726bj71b9lef62h1t12mvvn4upkpvbl6m0@4ax.com>, Robert Coe
: <bob@1776.COM> wrote:
:
: > : > J1 prices are down by 30%, which is unprecedented for a new model.
: > :
: > : you want unprecedented?
: > :
[...]

Maybe there was a typo in the price when the camera was released and they just
stuck with it to see whether anyone would care. Or maybe they were ashamed to
admit it.

: the camera is such an colossal failure and this whole sd1-merrill
: silliness is insulting to dick merrill.

What is the silliness, and who is Dick Merrill? (I ask with the full
realization that maybe everybody else already knows and I'll look like a
dope.)

Bob

nospam 02-11-2012 02:07 AM

Re: Nikon V1 already falling out of favour

In article <vdbbj71q2l1revoo5brfctcf8htk88rqrp@4ax.com>, Robert Coe
<bob@1776.COM> wrote:

> : > There's a certain logic to that pricing policy, isn't there? You make a few
> : > $$$ off the really stupid; than you drop down and target the moderately
> : > stupid for a while; then drop down again and target the slightly stupid,
> : > then the merely ignorant, and so on.
> :
> : generally yes, but nowhere remotely close to that level. have you ever
> : seen a price cut anywhere close to that magnitude in one day?
> :
> : keep in mind that sigma originally said the sd1 would be 'in the 7d
> : price range', which means this price cut prices it where they said it
> : was going to be all along. they lied and are now trying to weasel out
> : of it.
>
> Maybe there was a typo in the price when the camera was released and they just
> stuck with it to see whether anyone would care. Or maybe they were ashamed to
> admit it.

it was definitely not a typo. it was a calculated money grab that blew
up in their face. even some of the most diehard sigma fanbois have
turned against the company because of it.

sigma thought that they could play with the big boys like the pentax
645d medium format dslr. unfortunately, a 15 megapixel 1.5x aps-c
camera isn't anywhere close to a pentax 645d or nikon d3x for that
matter, even if they try to call it a 45 megapixel camera.

> : the camera is such an colossal failure and this whole sd1-merrill
> : silliness is insulting to dick merrill.
>
> What is the silliness, and who is Dick Merrill? (I ask with the full
> realization that maybe everybody else already knows and I'll look like a
> dope.)

not at all. most people don't have any idea who he is or that sigma
even makes cameras at all, which makes what they're doing even sillier.

dick merrill is the person who invented the foveon sensor that's used
in the sigma cameras and he died a couple of years ago at age 59.

renaming the camera is supposedly a tribute to him, but the reality is
that sigma has a shitload of unsold cameras they need to get rid of.
there's no difference between the merrill version and the original,
other than the name. the sd1 is one of the biggest blunders any company
has ever made. who would want to be remembered by that?

<http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/sd1-merrill-digital-slr-camera>

Bruce 02-11-2012 04:59 AM

Re: Nikon V1 already falling out of favour

Robert Coe <bob@1776.COM> wrote:
>On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 18:25:40 -0500, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>: In article <726bj71b9lef62h1t12mvvn4upkpvbl6m0@4ax.com>, Robert Coe
>: <bob@1776.COM> wrote:
>:
>: > : > J1 prices are down by 30%, which is unprecedented for a new model.
>: > :
>: > : you want unprecedented?
>: > :
>: > : today, sigma announced a staggering $6400 price cut on the sd1, from an
>: > : idiotic msrp of $9700 to an msrp of $3300 (street price will be less).
>: > : that's a 66% price cut in *one* single day. the dozen or so morons who
>: > : already bought an sd1 and foolishly paid full price will get 'points'
>: > : that can be used for sigma products.
>: > :
>: > : and that's not the first time either. the sigma sd14 started at $1599
>: > : street price and was selling for under $400 about a year later. that's
>: > : 75% off, or $1200 savings, just for waiting several months.
>: >
>: > There's a certain logic to that pricing policy, isn't there? You make a few
>: > $$$ off the really stupid; than you drop down and target the moderately stupid
>: > for a while; then drop down again and target the slightly stupid, then the
>: > merely ignorant, and so on.
>:
>: generally yes, but nowhere remotely close to that level. have you ever
>: seen a price cut anywhere close to that magnitude in one day?
>:
>: keep in mind that sigma originally said the sd1 would be 'in the 7d
>: price range', which means this price cut prices it where they said it
>: was going to be all along. they lied and are now trying to weasel out
>: of it.
>
>Maybe there was a typo in the price when the camera was released and they just
>stuck with it to see whether anyone would care. Or maybe they were ashamed to
>admit it.
>
>: the camera is such an colossal failure and this whole sd1-merrill
>: silliness is insulting to dick merrill.
>
>What is the silliness, and who is Dick Merrill? (I ask with the full
>realization that maybe everybody else already knows and I'll look like a
>dope.)

Dick Merrill led Foveon's development of triple-layer sensors. He
died in 2008.

The SD1 Merrill might actually sell quite well. We still have our
original SD1. We have had a lot of interest in it, in terms of people
wanting to try it, but no serious interest in buying it.

So I suggested we rented it out. That was accepted and we have
already made back about 40% of what it cost us.

Feedback from users was very positive, but there were no orders.
However, in the last couple of days we have taken four deposits on the
SD1 Merrill.

This week has been a busy one for product announcements, and the Nikon
D800 and Olympus E-M5 have garnered most of the interest. But Sony
has also been busy announcing their intention to offer a series of new
lenses for the NEX cameras in 2013 and confirmation of a new full
frame Alpha SLT.

Meanwhile, Sigma has announced two new high quality compacts, the DP1M
and DP2M using the same Foveon sensor as in the SD1. Inevitably, the
'M' suffix is another tribute to Dick Merrill. But if Sigma gets the
pricing right, these could be very attractive indeed.

The APS-C sensor means that Sigma has had to design new lenses for the
DP1M and DP2M, of 19mm and 30mm focal lengths. Now we know why Sigma
is offering 19mm and 30mm lenses for NEX and Micro Four Thirds. ;-)