Velocity Reviews

-   -   Self-taught C (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t867957-self-taught-c.html)

Sleepy Duke 02-03-2012 05:24 PM

Self-taught C

What are the best methods you all have found for teaching yourselves how to code proficiently in C?

Bl0ckeduser . 02-03-2012 07:54 PM

Re: Self-taught C

On Feb 3, 12:24*pm, Sleepy Duke <josh.izz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What are the best methods you all have found for teaching yourselves how to code proficiently in C?

I'm a teenager who writes in C as a hobby. Obviously my advice
won't be worth much, but here it is:

K&R was more in-depth than the web tutorial I first read.
I also learnt a few things from reading the old Unix sources
(http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl). I'm pretty sure writing
a lot of code helps.

Malcolm McLean 02-04-2012 01:38 PM

Re: Self-taught C

On Feb 3, 5:24*pm, Sleepy Duke <josh.izz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What are the best methods you all have found for teaching yourselves how to code proficiently in C?

Basically do it.

If you're sitting in a bedroom on your own, the most likely thing
you'll want to code is a game. So get graphics working as fast as you
can. It's harder now than it was to get a simple character-based
raster that can be used for moving space invaders round the screen.
But that's usually the best place to start.

Nick Keighley 02-05-2012 12:32 PM

Re: Self-taught C

On Feb 3, 5:24*pm, Sleepy Duke <josh.izz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What are the best methods you all have found for teaching yourselves how to code proficiently in C?

write lots of code.

the best way I found was already knowing anothe couple of programming
languages, but this probably doesn't help...

Nick Keighley 02-05-2012 12:34 PM

Re: Self-taught C

On Feb 3, 7:54*pm, "Bl0ckeduser ." <bl0ckedusers...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 3, 12:24*pm, Sleepy Duke <josh.izz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > What are the best methods you all have found for teaching
> > yourselves how to code proficiently in C?

> I'm a teenager who writes in C as a hobby. Obviously my advice
> won't be worth much, but here it is:

if you are a competent C programmer then your advice may well be
useful. It probably helps that you learned C recently so you have a
better memory of the process

> K&R was more in-depth than the web tutorial I first read.

yes. Most web tutorials are, sadly, crap. K&R is great, though some
find it a bit heavy going. They don't waste words.

> I also learnt a few things from reading the old Unix sources
> (http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl).

> I'm pretty sure writing
> a lot of code helps.

absolutely. Learn by doing.

gwowen 02-06-2012 12:23 PM

Re: Self-taught C

On Feb 5, 12:32*pm, Nick Keighley <nick_keighley_nos...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> On Feb 3, 5:24*pm, Sleepy Duke <josh.izz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What are the best methods you all have found for teaching yourselves how to code proficiently in C?

> write lots of code.

That.

It'll help to have a project or something that you want to accomplish,
and work htowards that goal.

Set your compiler to its most picky settings, and understand every
single diagnostic message it gives you. And them eliminate them,
figuring out what misunderstanding led to them occuring in the first
place.

Then run the code under valgrind or some similar bounds/leak checker
and understand all its diagnostics too.

Joe Pfeiffer 02-07-2012 05:34 AM

Re: Self-taught C

gwowen <gwowen@gmail.com> writes:

> On Feb 5, 12:32*pm, Nick Keighley <nick_keighley_nos...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Feb 3, 5:24*pm, Sleepy Duke <josh.izz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > What are the best methods you all have found for teaching yourselves how to code proficiently in C?

>> write lots of code.

> That.
>
> It'll help to have a project or something that you want to accomplish,
> and work htowards that goal.

I think that's the most important single advice that can be given.

Fritz Wuehler 02-07-2012 09:26 AM

Re: Self-taught C

> > It'll help to have a project or something that you want to accomplish,
> > and work htowards that goal.

> I think that's the most important single advice that can be given.

Agreed. But working at a support role where you have to read lots of code
and fix it is even better than that and along with it, you'll have it all.

Nick Keighley 02-07-2012 10:18 AM

Re: Self-taught C

On Feb 7, 9:26*am, Fritz Wuehler
<fr...@spamexpire-201202.rodent.frell.theremailer.net> wrote:
> > > It'll help to have a project or something that you want to accomplish,
> > > and work htowards that goal.

> > I think that's the most important single advice that can be given.

> Agreed. But working at a support role where you have to read lots of code
> and fix it is even better than that and along with it, you'll have it all..

dunno, being a maintenance programmer on a nasty pile of code can be a
dispiriting experience. I wouldn't suggest i was necessarily a good
way to learn.

James Kuyper 02-07-2012 12:53 PM

Re: Self-taught C

On 02/03/2012 12:24 PM, Sleepy Duke wrote:
> What are the best methods you all have found for teaching yourselves how to code proficiently in C?

1. Study "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan & Ritchie. However,
I've heard that this is not a good introductory book for someone with no
previous experience in programming. I wouldn't have noticed if that were
the case - C was my fourth programming language, after FORTRAN I (sic),
Basic, and APL.

2. Write lots of code while trying to achieve very specific goals. If
you don't have a specific goal you're trying to achieve with the code,
you won't learn as much while writing it.
--
James Kuyper