Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: getting Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) ... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t867934-re-getting-fully-qualified-domain-name-fqdn.html)

Steven Simpson 02-06-2012 11:53 AM

On 06/02/12 10:33, lbrt chx _ gemale wrote:
> /*
> Say you want to keep the local copies of documents you download/view online in a directory structure that somewhat resembles the URL path.
> When you use firefox as the browser it seems to darken the FQDN,

Took me a while to work out what you meant. As I see it, it leaves a
portion of the authority black, and lightens the other parts.

> but then you can check it doesn't do it truthfully. Try for example:
> ~
> http://www-hiel.ist.osaka-u.ac.jp/~i...ki_Iizuka.html
> http://www.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/eng_site/
> ~
> Why is it that u-tokyo.ac.jp throws an UnknownHostException?

What makes you think that FF is claiming that the highlighted portion of
the authority is strictly a 'host' name?

> java.net.UnknownHostException: u-tokyo.ac.jp
> at java.net.Inet6AddressImpl.lookupAllHostAddr(Native Method)
> at java.net.InetAddress$1.lookupAllHostAddr(InetAddre ss.java:867)
> at java.net.InetAddress.getAddressFromNameService(Ine tAddress.java:1246)
> at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(InetAddress.jav a:1197)
> at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(InetAddress.java :1128)
> at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(InetAddress.java :1064)
> at java.net.InetAddress.getByName(InetAddress.java:10 14)
> at GetCanonicalHostName.main(GetCanonicalHostName.jav a:22)

$ host u-tokyo.ac.jp
u-tokyo.ac.jp mail is handled by 20 utmail2.nc.u-tokyo.ac.jp.
u-tokyo.ac.jp mail is handled by 10 utmail3.nc.u-tokyo.ac.jp.

--
ss at comp dot lancs dot ac dot uk