Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: ISP opinions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t867852-re-isp-opinions.html)

Stephen Worthington 02-03-2012 08:49 AM

Re: ISP opinions

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 13:22:50 +1300, whoisthis <who@am.i.spammer>
wrote:

>Happy with Orcon except for their prices ($155 for 100G)
>+ $x for faxibility/caller ID ?
>
>We currently have 55G with them and regularly go over that costing us a
>small fortune (phone is with telecom)
>
>I do NOT want their new IP phone deal, I see no reason to buy another
>UPS just so the phone will work during a power cut !
>Apart from the fact that my house is wired with CAT5 and their box
>of tricks will then end up located in a cupboard in the hall which
>will simply be a pain in the arse. Oh and their IP phone does NOT support
>monitored alarms, and NO, I have no intention for paying $$$ to get the
>alarm system changed to an IP based one.
>The POTS has been far more reliable than the broadband !
>

>So I am now considering Vodaphone which will cost
>$100 for 60G
>$30.60 to double this to 120G
>Another $8.18 for Caller ID and faxibility
>
>Total $138.78
>
>However for this we get a free mySky HDi box ($15/month normally)
>and unlimited calls to 1 vodaphone cell phone.
>

>So whats their reliability like, and speed like.
>Do they have fixed IP, I use VPN back to home for various things
>and run as basic web server for a few friends. Yes I can use dyndns
>but a fixed IP simply makes it easier (lazier ?).
>
>I can live with the loss of NNTP, are there any other know issues ?
>
>If they did VDSL that would be interesting as according to the Chorus
>map we have it in our area with the junction box all of 20-30m away from
>our house :-)
>

>TIA

I have been very happy with WorldNet:

http://www.worldnet.co.nz/

At their pricing, for your $120 you would get 400 Gibytes. But they
do not have some of the other bits in that Vodafone package.
Officially you have to pay them for a fixed IP address, but they seem
to have given me one for free (I am a long term customer). In any
case, if your ADSL router requests that it be given back the same IP
on reconnection, it usually will be unless too much time has gone by
and it has been reassigned to someone else. I have my toll calls with
them, and it costs less to phone USA (8 c/min) than it does calling
around NZ (9 c/min). They do not cap calls at up to 2 hours though,
unlike many other toll operators. Their phone support is excellent,
but you do have to get used to their mostly Korean accents.

Geopelia 02-06-2012 11:17 AM

Re: ISP opinions

"Stephen Worthington" <stephen@jsw12.gen34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
message news:ma7ni7pv1id535hhehf1eiqmorlmn42vo2@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 13:22:50 +1300, whoisthis <who@am.i.spammer>
> wrote:
>
>>Happy with Orcon except for their prices ($155 for 100G)
>>+ $x for faxibility/caller ID ?
>>
>>We currently have 55G with them and regularly go over that costing us a
>>small fortune (phone is with telecom)
>>
>>I do NOT want their new IP phone deal, I see no reason to buy another
>>UPS just so the phone will work during a power cut !
>>Apart from the fact that my house is wired with CAT5 and their box
>>of tricks will then end up located in a cupboard in the hall which
>>will simply be a pain in the arse. Oh and their IP phone does NOT support
>>monitored alarms, and NO, I have no intention for paying $$$ to get the
>>alarm system changed to an IP based one.
>>The POTS has been far more reliable than the broadband !
>>

>>So I am now considering Vodaphone which will cost
>>$100 for 60G
>>$30.60 to double this to 120G
>>Another $8.18 for Caller ID and faxibility
>>
>>Total $138.78
>>
>>However for this we get a free mySky HDi box ($15/month normally)
>>and unlimited calls to 1 vodaphone cell phone.
>>

>>So whats their reliability like, and speed like.
>>Do they have fixed IP, I use VPN back to home for various things
>>and run as basic web server for a few friends. Yes I can use dyndns
>>but a fixed IP simply makes it easier (lazier ?).
>>
>>I can live with the loss of NNTP, are there any other know issues ?
>>
>>If they did VDSL that would be interesting as according to the Chorus
>>map we have it in our area with the junction box all of 20-30m away from
>>our house :-)
>>

>>TIA

> I have been very happy with WorldNet:
>
> http://www.worldnet.co.nz/
>
> At their pricing, for your $120 you would get 400 Gibytes. But they
> do not have some of the other bits in that Vodafone package.
> Officially you have to pay them for a fixed IP address, but they seem
> to have given me one for free (I am a long term customer). In any
> case, if your ADSL router requests that it be given back the same IP
> on reconnection, it usually will be unless too much time has gone by
> and it has been reassigned to someone else. I have my toll calls with
> them, and it costs less to phone USA (8 c/min) than it does calling
> around NZ (9 c/min). They do not cap calls at up to 2 hours though,
> unlike many other toll operators. Their phone support is excellent,
> but you do have to get used to their mostly Korean accents.

I have Telecom and xtra, a plan which includes the phone and internet.
Around $86 a month for both.
5GB, but I only use between 1 and 2 GB.
It seems to work well.

Frank Williams 02-07-2012 12:57 AM

Re: ISP opinions

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 00:17:39 +1300, "Geopelia" <Geopelia@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>"Stephen Worthington" <stephen@jsw12.gen34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
>message news:ma7ni7pv1id535hhehf1eiqmorlmn42vo2@4ax.com...
>> On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 13:22:50 +1300, whoisthis <who@am.i.spammer>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Happy with Orcon except for their prices ($155 for 100G)
>>>+ $x for faxibility/caller ID ?
>>>
>>>We currently have 55G with them and regularly go over that costing us a
>>>small fortune (phone is with telecom)
>>>
>>>I do NOT want their new IP phone deal, I see no reason to buy another
>>>UPS just so the phone will work during a power cut !
>>>Apart from the fact that my house is wired with CAT5 and their box
>>>of tricks will then end up located in a cupboard in the hall which
>>>will simply be a pain in the arse. Oh and their IP phone does NOT support
>>>monitored alarms, and NO, I have no intention for paying $$$ to get the
>>>alarm system changed to an IP based one.
>>>The POTS has been far more reliable than the broadband !
>>>

>>>So I am now considering Vodaphone which will cost
>>>$100 for 60G
>>>$30.60 to double this to 120G
>>>Another $8.18 for Caller ID and faxibility
>>>
>>>Total $138.78
>>>
>>>However for this we get a free mySky HDi box ($15/month normally)
>>>and unlimited calls to 1 vodaphone cell phone.
>>>

>>>So whats their reliability like, and speed like.
>>>Do they have fixed IP, I use VPN back to home for various things
>>>and run as basic web server for a few friends. Yes I can use dyndns
>>>but a fixed IP simply makes it easier (lazier ?).
>>>
>>>I can live with the loss of NNTP, are there any other know issues ?
>>>
>>>If they did VDSL that would be interesting as according to the Chorus
>>>map we have it in our area with the junction box all of 20-30m away from
>>>our house :-)
>>>

>>>TIA

>> I have been very happy with WorldNet:
>>
>> http://www.worldnet.co.nz/
>>
>> At their pricing, for your $120 you would get 400 Gibytes. But they
>> do not have some of the other bits in that Vodafone package.
>> Officially you have to pay them for a fixed IP address, but they seem
>> to have given me one for free (I am a long term customer). In any
>> case, if your ADSL router requests that it be given back the same IP
>> on reconnection, it usually will be unless too much time has gone by
>> and it has been reassigned to someone else. I have my toll calls with
>> them, and it costs less to phone USA (8 c/min) than it does calling
>> around NZ (9 c/min). They do not cap calls at up to 2 hours though,
>> unlike many other toll operators. Their phone support is excellent,
>> but you do have to get used to their mostly Korean accents.

>I have Telecom and xtra, a plan which includes the phone and internet.
>Around $86 a month for both.
>5GB, but I only use between 1 and 2 GB.
>It seems to work well.

Very DEAR..

Geopelia 02-08-2012 11:14 AM

Re: ISP opinions

"Frank Williams" <FWilliams@happy.com.ru> wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 00:17:39 +1300, "Geopelia" <Geopelia@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Stephen Worthington" <stephen@jsw12.gen34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
>>message news:ma7ni7pv1id535hhehf1eiqmorlmn42vo2@4ax.com...

>>> I have been very happy with WorldNet:
>>>
>>> http://www.worldnet.co.nz/
>>>
>>> At their pricing, for your $120 you would get 400 Gibytes. But they
>>> do not have some of the other bits in that Vodafone package.
>>> Officially you have to pay them for a fixed IP address, but they seem
>>> to have given me one for free (I am a long term customer). In any
>>> case, if your ADSL router requests that it be given back the same IP
>>> on reconnection, it usually will be unless too much time has gone by
>>> and it has been reassigned to someone else. I have my toll calls with
>>> them, and it costs less to phone USA (8 c/min) than it does calling
>>> around NZ (9 c/min). They do not cap calls at up to 2 hours though,
>>> unlike many other toll operators. Their phone support is excellent,
>>> but you do have to get used to their mostly Korean accents.

>>I have Telecom and xtra, a plan which includes the phone and internet.
>>Around $86 a month for both.
>>5GB, but I only use between 1 and 2 GB.
>>It seems to work well.
>>

> Very DEAR..

The phone part is the expensive part.

Richard 02-09-2012 07:59 AM

Re: ISP opinions

On 2/9/2012 12:14 AM, Geopelia wrote:

> The phone part is the expensive part.

Agreed, that's why I dont buy one.

If you are only using a couple of gigs then a 3G connection is quite a
viable option.

Geopelia 02-09-2012 09:27 PM

Re: ISP opinions

"Richard" <rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> On 2/9/2012 12:14 AM, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> The phone part is the expensive part.

> Agreed, that's why I dont buy one.
>
> If you are only using a couple of gigs then a 3G connection is quite a
> viable option.

How can you use a computer for the internet without having a phone line?
Doesn't it come down the wire like a phone call?

Geopelia 02-10-2012 12:57 AM

Re: ISP opinions

"whoisthis" <who@am.i.spammer> wrote in message
> In article <jh1dp9$c7o$1@dont-email.me>,
> "Geopelia" <Geopelia@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> "Richard" <rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message

>> > Agreed, that's why I dont buy one.
>> >
>> > If you are only using a couple of gigs then a 3G connection is quite a
>> > viable option.

>> How can you use a computer for the internet without having a phone line?
>> Doesn't it come down the wire like a phone call?

> 3G = by cellphone.

We don't have a cellphone. Too expensive and not necessary just now.
But it could be worth considering later.

~misfit~ 02-10-2012 01:18 AM

Re: ISP opinions

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
> "whoisthis" <who@am.i.spammer> wrote in message
>> In article <jh1dp9$c7o$1@dont-email.me>,
>> "Geopelia" <Geopelia@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "Richard" <rich@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message

>>> How can you use a computer for the internet without having a phone
>>> line? Doesn't it come down the wire like a phone call?

>> 3G = by cellphone.

> We don't have a cellphone. Too expensive and not necessary just now.
> But it could be worth considering later.

You might be surprised Geo. If not already, the day's not far away when a
cell phone and 3G (or 4G) data for your modest internet use will be cheaper
than a fixed land-line. However I would suggest enlisting a kindly soul from
this group for a few hours before you went looking down *that* path.
Otherwise I'm afraid you'd get lead down the garden path instead. :-/

I hope you're well. :-)
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Enkidu 02-10-2012 06:37 AM

Re: ISP opinions

On 10/02/12 14:18, ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
>> "whoisthis"<who@am.i.spammer> wrote in message

>>> 3G = by cellphone.

>> We don't have a cellphone. Too expensive and not necessary just now.
>> But it could be worth considering later.

> You might be surprised Geo. If not already, the day's not far away when a
> cell phone and 3G (or 4G) data for your modest internet use will be cheaper
> than a fixed land-line. However I would suggest enlisting a kindly soul from
> this group for a few hours before you went looking down *that* path.
> Otherwise I'm afraid you'd get lead down the garden path instead. :-/

Geo, I second what Shaun says.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Richard 02-10-2012 08:54 AM

Re: ISP opinions

On 2/10/2012 10:27 AM, Geopelia wrote:
> How can you use a computer for the internet without having a phone line?
> Doesn't it come down the wire like a phone call?

Naked DSL, Actually the slingshot connection I have for my bulk
downloading has a phoneline with it since it was needed at the time to
get the flatrate plan, but I dont even have a phone plugged into it
since landlines are so expensive to use compared to a mobile.