Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: One for Gordon Re: 0845 vs Geo. number. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t867817-re-one-for-gordon-re-0845-vs-geo-number.html)

Roger Mills 02-02-2012 10:00 AM

On 02/02/2012 01:10, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

> January was a busy month. voipfone call records show 323 calls (having
> taken out personal calls)
> 0845 8686888 recieved 181 calls
> 01179 118 139 took 142 calls.
> Mobile callers numbered 113 with the rest being GEO, International and anon.
>
> Proving clearly that an 0845 number for 1.99 a month is well worth
> running alongside a Geographic number. The more memorable the better
> though I'd suggest.

That doesn't prove anything at all! What evidence do you have that you
would have received fewer calls if everyone had had to use the Geo number?

And I wonder how many of your callers actually realised that (unless
they had a calling plan which included 0845) it was actually costing
them an arm and a leg to call you with that number rather than with the
Geo number.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Roger Mills 02-02-2012 05:35 PM

On 02/02/2012 10:38, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
> On 02/02/2012 10:00, Roger Mills wrote:
>
>> That doesn't prove anything at all! What evidence do you have that you
>> would have received fewer calls if everyone had had to use the Geo number?

> It does, it proves that more than 50% of incoming calls are by an
> old-style 0845 number given the choice of either.
>
>> And I wonder how many of your callers actually realised that (unless
>> they had a calling plan which included 0845) it was actually costing
>> them an arm and a leg to call you with that number rather than with the
>> Geo number.

> An "arm and a leg" !
> First calling plan I check is Orange "Dolphin" whatever that is.
> "standard UK landlines 25p/min"
> "calls to 0845 12p/min"
>
> Next one I check Vodaphone mobile
> "Calls to any Vodafone UK mobile, standard UK landline (starting 01,02
> or 03) and UK voicemail 35p a minute"
> "Non-geographic numbers starting 0845, 0870 14p a minute (one minute
> minimum call charge)"

But those are both mobiles! I'm interested in the cost of calling from a
landline - for which I use either voip.co.uk or 18866.

Calls via 18866 to an 01/02/03 number cost 5p per *call* regardless of
duration. Calls to an 0845 number cost 4ppm plus a 5p setup fee in the
daytime.

Calls via voip.co.uk cost 1.6ppm with no setup fee to 01/02/03 or 5ppm
plus a 5p setup fee to 0845.

Maybe "an arm and a leg" is a slight exaggeration, but the difference
mounts up if you make a lot of calls to 0845 numbers.
--
Cheers,
Roger