Velocity Reviews

-   -   How do I upgrade XP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t867736-how-do-i-upgrade-xp.html)

Possible 01-31-2012 06:04 AM

How do I upgrade XP

Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
so how do I get this Legally..?

Yes updating my old P4 system..

But I still need XP..

Dave Doe 01-31-2012 11:09 AM

Re: How do I upgrade XP

In article <kt0fi7p1nh393o10de4edtdc0luq1mldt8@4ax.com>,
pos@anywhere.com, Possible says...

> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
> so how do I get this Legally..?
>
> Yes updating my old P4 system..
>
> But I still need XP..

Would be crazy not to upgrade to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate - surely you can
run legacy XP apps in Virtual PC - it's a free download.

--
Duncan.

Frank Williams 01-31-2012 09:27 PM

Re: How do I upgrade XP

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:35:41 +1300, EMB <embtwo@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 31/01/2012 7:04 p.m., Possible wrote:
>>

>> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
>> so how do I get this Legally..?
>>
>> Yes updating my old P4 system..
>>
>> But I still need XP..
>>

>You're wrong as usual Woger. XP Home supports multiple cores, but not
>multiple physical CPUs.

I MAM NOT WRONG ITS FROM INFO POSTED ON THE NET.

Frank Williams 01-31-2012 09:30 PM

Re: How do I upgrade XP

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 00:09:09 +1300, Dave Doe <hard@work.ok> wrote:

>In article <kt0fi7p1nh393o10de4edtdc0luq1mldt8@4ax.com>,
>pos@anywhere.com, Possible says...
>>
>> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
>> so how do I get this Legally..?
>>
>> Yes updating my old P4 system..
>>
>> But I still need XP..

>Would be crazy not to upgrade to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate - surely you can
>run legacy XP apps in Virtual PC - it's a free download.

From what I have been reading that XP app's in Virtual PC is Very
limited and you need a CPU that supports it, Plus does this get loaded
every time I boot up.

Frank Williams 01-31-2012 09:33 PM

Re: How do I upgrade XP

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 08:21:22 +1300, Mutlley <mutley2000@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Dave Doe <hard@work.ok> wrote:
>
>>In article <kt0fi7p1nh393o10de4edtdc0luq1mldt8@4ax.com>,
>>pos@anywhere.com, Possible says...
>>>
>>> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
>>> so how do I get this Legally..?
>>>
>>> Yes updating my old P4 system..
>>>
>>> But I still need XP..

>>Would be crazy not to upgrade to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate - surely you can
>>run legacy XP apps in Virtual PC - it's a free download.

>He said "Old P4" which will have hardware (driver) limitations on
>Win 7.

I did state Updating, Win7 works perfectly on the P4. but XP Virtual
PC, smell to much for me, has some limitations CPU for one..

Dave Doe 02-01-2012 12:08 AM

Re: How do I upgrade XP

In article <1ofgi793s7brkjamrrsdltgc70182ihd0m@4ax.com>, mutley2000
@hotmail.com, Mutlley says...

> Dave Doe <hard@work.ok> wrote:
>
> >In article <kt0fi7p1nh393o10de4edtdc0luq1mldt8@4ax.com>,
> >pos@anywhere.com, Possible says...
> >>
> >> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
> >> so how do I get this Legally..?
> >>
> >> Yes updating my old P4 system..
> >>
> >> But I still need XP..

> >Would be crazy not to upgrade to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate - surely you can
> >run legacy XP apps in Virtual PC - it's a free download.

> He said "Old P4" which will have hardware (driver) limitations on
> Win 7.

He *also* said he's updating it - and above that - I presumed from the
multicore comment, it's a major update. (Isn't the P4 single-core? I
think they produced a dual-core "Extreme Edition" release - the last of
the P4's?).

And anyway, Windows 7 has *great* hardware driver support!

Perhaps the OP can clarify on the updating details :)

PS: I run Win7 on an earlier Pentium, 1.6Gz CPU - an old laptop -
because it supports the hardware better than XP. It's as slow as, but
then it's only to provide a wee machine in the kitchen - music and
internet etc.

--
Duncan.

David Empson 02-01-2012 12:18 AM

Re: How do I upgrade XP

Frank Williams <FWilliams@happy.com.ru> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:35:41 +1300, EMB <embtwo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On 31/01/2012 7:04 p.m., Possible wrote:
> >>

> >> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
> >> so how do I get this Legally..?
> >>
> >> Yes updating my old P4 system..
> >>
> >> But I still need XP..
> >>

> >You're wrong as usual Woger. XP Home supports multiple cores, but not
> >multiple physical CPUs.

> I MAM NOT WRONG ITS FROM INFO POSTED ON THE NET.

You are wrong, Roger.

Google search for "xp home multiple core" led to several links,
including this as the third one:

<http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...xp-hardware/mu
lti-core-processor-and-multiprocessor-limit-for/abd0a0ce-4ac2-484b-88cb-
fbf93beb54e0>

"Dual-Core
Microsoft's licensing policy limits the number of processors Windows
supports for its Home and Professional versions, as outlined below. It's
important to understand, however, that this is on a per-processor basis,
not a per-core basis. This means that, under the licensing policy, a
dual- or even quad-core processor counts as a single
processor---something that confused many people in the early days of
dual-core technology."

And that's from a Windows support engineer at Microsoft.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz

Dave Doe 02-01-2012 12:24 AM

Re: How do I upgrade XP

In article <1kesfd8.xixus41pac4j0N%dempson@actrix.gen.nz>,
dempson@actrix.gen.nz, David Empson says...

> Frank Williams <FWilliams@happy.com.ru> wrote:

> > >You're wrong as usual Woger. XP Home supports multiple cores, but not
> > >multiple physical CPUs.

> > I MAM NOT WRONG ITS FROM INFO POSTED ON THE NET.

> You are wrong, Roger.
>
> Google search for "xp home multiple core" led to several links,
> including this as the third one:
>
> <http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...xp-hardware/mu
> lti-core-processor-and-multiprocessor-limit-for/abd0a0ce-4ac2-484b-88cb-
> fbf93beb54e0>
>
> "Dual-Core
> Microsoft's licensing policy limits the number of processors Windows
> supports for its Home and Professional versions, as outlined below. It's
> important to understand, however, that this is on a per-processor basis,
> not a per-core basis. This means that, under the licensing policy, a
> dual- or even quad-core processor counts as a single
> processor---something that confused many people in the early days of
> dual-core technology."
>
> And that's from a Windows support engineer at Microsoft.

Dunno what you guys are arguing about - but if it's Woger :) Indeed
that's correct though, it's a per CPU basis, not what shows up in Task
Manager - which counts (or shows) cores as CPU's.

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe 02-01-2012 12:54 AM

Re: How do I upgrade XP

In article <1ofgi793s7brkjamrrsdltgc70182ihd0m@4ax.com>, mutley2000
@hotmail.com, Mutlley says...

> Dave Doe <hard@work.ok> wrote:
>
> >In article <kt0fi7p1nh393o10de4edtdc0luq1mldt8@4ax.com>,
> >pos@anywhere.com, Possible says...
> >>
> >> Seems that if you have a Multi Core CPU you need XP Pro to support it,
> >> so how do I get this Legally..?
> >>
> >> Yes updating my old P4 system..
> >>
> >> But I still need XP..

> >Would be crazy not to upgrade to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate - surely you can
> >run legacy XP apps in Virtual PC - it's a free download.

> He said "Old P4" which will have hardware (driver) limitations on
> Win 7.

OK, noted that Woger is using yet another nym, Possible. Added to bozo
bin - outta here :)

--
Duncan.

~misfit~ 02-01-2012 01:52 AM

Re: How do I upgrade XP

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <1ofgi793s7brkjamrrsdltgc70182ihd0m@4ax.com>, mutley2000
> @hotmail.com, Mutlley says...

[snip]
>> He said "Old P4" which will have hardware (driver) limitations on
>> Win 7.

> He *also* said he's updating it - and above that - I presumed from the
> multicore comment, it's a major update. (Isn't the P4 single-core? I
> think they produced a dual-core "Extreme Edition" release - the last
> of the P4's?).

Pretty much. The Pentium D was basically a dual-core Pentium 4 though, a
NetBurst CPU. A dual-core P4 in all but name. I think that a lot of the
later P4 Mobos could run it.

So, it's possible that an "old P4" could be "updated" and become a dual-core
machine. FWIW.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."