Velocity Reviews

-   -   Firefox comments and questions? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t8670-firefox-comments-and-questions.html)

Noozer 04-20-2004 05:27 AM

Firefox comments and questions?

Hey all!

Is this *the* newsgroup for discussing Firefox concerns, bugs and feature
requests?

What I need to know is (Firefox 0.8 on WinXP):

- How do I tell Firefox *NOT* to use Quicktime for MPG files? (or how do I
select what app for what filetype?) Options->Downloads only has "MPEG" and
it's already set for MediaPlayer, which is what I want, yet MPG files open
in Quicktime.

- Any way to swap SHIFT-CLICK and SHIFT-CTRL-CLICK? I prefer opening in tabs
to opening in new windows, but I'm in th habit of SHIFT click.

- When I try to save a bookmark, it never seems to save. For example, I just
chose to add a bookmark and in the group dropdown it shows some groups, but
not all - and there's no scrollbar... For example, there is no "Imported IE
Favorites" group.

- Any chance for VBScript to be properly supported?

- Where are the configuration files kept? Are these user editable for
settings that do not appear in the Options window?

Thx!

.BRIAN. 04-20-2004 06:15 AM

Re: Firefox comments and questions?

On 4/20/2004 1:27 AM Noozer wrote:
> - How do I tell Firefox *NOT* to use Quicktime for MPG files? (or how do I
> select what app for what filetype?) Options->Downloads only has "MPEG" and
> it's already set for MediaPlayer, which is what I want, yet MPG files open
> in Quicktime.

Tell Quicktime to quit stealing the file association--change the setting
in the Quicktime control panel.

> - Any way to swap SHIFT-CLICK and SHIFT-CTRL-CLICK? I prefer opening in tabs
> to opening in new windows, but I'm in th habit of SHIFT click.

I don't know. Do you have a scroll-mouse? Click the scroll-wheel to
open a link in a tab. That's even easier than using the keyboard and mouse.

> - When I try to save a bookmark, it never seems to save. For example, I just
> chose to add a bookmark and in the group dropdown it shows some groups, but
> not all - and there's no scrollbar... For example, there is no "Imported IE
> Favorites" group.

I really don't understand what you are having problems with here. No,
there isn't a scrollbar in Mozilla's bookmarks--don't believe there ever
has been one either--it uses arrows. Did you pay attention to the drop
down box that says "Create in..." when you added the bookmark? Did you
import the "IE Favorites"?

> - Any chance for VBScript to be properly supported?

LOL.

> - Where are the configuration files kept? Are these user editable for
> settings that do not appear in the Options window?

In WindowsXP, look in %appdata%\Firefox -- You didn't say specifically
what it is you're looking for.

BTW, if you are using WindowsXP, you haven't installed the latest
Critical Updates...

Brian

Email Info -
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

Noozer 04-20-2004 08:30 AM

Re: Firefox comments and questions?

Thanks for the reply...

".BRIAN." <USER@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> On 4/20/2004 1:27 AM Noozer wrote:
> > - How do I tell Firefox *NOT* to use Quicktime for MPG files? (or how do

> > select what app for what filetype?) Options->Downloads only has "MPEG"

and
> > it's already set for MediaPlayer, which is what I want, yet MPG files

open
> > in Quicktime.

> Tell Quicktime to quit stealing the file association--change the setting
> in the Quicktime control panel.

Thought the same thing, but MPG files open in Windows MediaPlayer EVERYWHERE
else. Only Firefox insists on using QTime for these files.

> > - Any way to swap SHIFT-CLICK and SHIFT-CTRL-CLICK? I prefer opening in

tabs
> > to opening in new windows, but I'm in th habit of SHIFT click.

> I don't know. Do you have a scroll-mouse? Click the scroll-wheel to
> open a link in a tab. That's even easier than using the keyboard and

mouse.

Ooo.. Didn't know that!!! Doesn't work with my MX700 though (middle button
is set to "middle button" in software) Drat!

> > - When I try to save a bookmark, it never seems to save. For example, I

just
> > chose to add a bookmark and in the group dropdown it shows some groups,

but
> > not all - and there's no scrollbar... For example, there is no "Imported

IE
> > Favorites" group.

> I really don't understand what you are having problems with here. No,
> there isn't a scrollbar in Mozilla's bookmarks--don't believe there ever
> has been one either--it uses arrows. Did you pay attention to the drop
> down box that says "Create in..." when you added the bookmark? Did you
> import the "IE Favorites"?

The Create In... list shows just a few folders and there's no logic (that I
have noticed) that determines which folders that list shows. I did import
the IE Favourites, and they are listed in the bookmarks, but why aren't they
listed in the Create In... list?

> > - Any chance for VBScript to be properly supported?

> LOL.

That's the only thing stopping us from using this browser widespread at the
office. (700+ employees). I don't know the mechanics of how it works, but
aren't there common DLLs that FireFox could access (at least in the Windows
version) for VBScript support?

> > - Where are the configuration files kept? Are these user editable for
> > settings that do not appear in the Options window?

> In WindowsXP, look in %appdata%\Firefox -- You didn't say specifically
> what it is you're looking for.

> BTW, if you are using WindowsXP, you haven't installed the latest
> Critical Updates...

What should I be seeing? I wait at least a week or two before new updates
come out. Don't want the Win2K3 server SSL broken, nor a busted firewall,
etc...

.BRIAN. 04-21-2004 08:29 PM

On 4/20/2004 4:30 AM Noozer wrote:

>>BTW, if you are using WindowsXP, you haven't installed the latest
>>Critical Updates...

> What should I be seeing? I wait at least a week or two before new updates
> come out. Don't want the Win2K3 server SSL broken, nor a busted firewall,
> etc...

The OE critical update should put your version to 1409.

Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409