Velocity Reviews

-   -   http digest auth client? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t865343-http-digest-auth-client.html)

Jonathan Rochkind 11-22-2010 11:11 PM

http digest auth client?

Is there any mature library in ruby to make an HTTP request with http
digest auth?

Net::HTTP doesn't seem to do it, it does basic auth only (basic auth is
so insecure it ought never to be used).

I can't seem to find any other well-used stable library that does it?

Is it just me, or is the ruby standard library http client (Net::HTTP)
really pretty terrible in general? Most of the ruby stdlib is great,
with great API's to do what you want easily. Net::HTTP is a pain to
use, and is missing some important features. Really not equal to the
standard set by the rest of the ruby stdlib.

But I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be any good way to do this
in ruby? Is this really such an unusual thing to want to do? Or is
there an easy solution I'm missing?

Milovan Z. 11-22-2010 11:47 PM

Re: http digest auth client?

have you tried open-uri?
http://stdlib.rubyonrails.org/libdoc...doc/index.html

Tony Arcieri 11-22-2010 11:59 PM

Re: http digest auth client?

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Jonathan Rochkind <rochkind@jhu.edu> wrote:

> Is there any mature library in ruby to make an HTTP request with http
> digest auth?

You might try HTTParty. It appears to support digest auth:

https://github.com/jnunemaker/httpar...digest_auth.rb

> Is it just me, or is the ruby standard library http client (Net::HTTP)
> really pretty terrible in general?

Net::HTTP blows. Use HTTParty instead.

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand

Ammar Ali 11-23-2010 12:08 AM

Re: http digest auth client?

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Jonathan Rochkind <rochkind@jhu.edu> wrote:

> Is there any mature library in ruby to make an HTTP request with http
> digest auth?

This was recently released: https://rubygems.org/gems/net-http-digest_auth

I've never used it, so I can't vouch for it's maturity.

HTH,
Ammar