Velocity Reviews

-   -   call a ruby script from html (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t862177-call-a-ruby-script-from-html.html)

Mario Ruiz 03-24-2010 04:28 PM

call a ruby script from html

I would like to call a ruby script from a html page passing a few
parameters, something like:

Anybody knows how to do it?

Thanks.

Richard Conroy 03-24-2010 04:56 PM

Re: call a ruby script from html

Not too sure what you are trying to do here. The fact that you are invoking
against your local system is a bit weird, and I dont think that is workable.
Might work for locally loaded Javascript, but not in a HREF.

If you are hitting a server, this can be made to work, as CGI (similar to
how
you would invoke against a PHP script), but CGI is not a popular way to
run Ruby web apps, and it is very poorly documented in general (its eclipsed
by all the other methods).

Again, your parameters would have to be appropriate for a query string, you
couldn't
rely on passing them in as command line arguments.

For isntance:

http://richardconroy.blogspot.com

Mario Ruiz 03-24-2010 05:05 PM

Re: call a ruby script from html

What I'm trying to do is to call a ruby script that admits parameters.
This program is going to be run locally.
The problem is no parameters are taken since the explorers try to
download the file instead of running the file.

Another way to solve this would be to run directly the code on the
page... is that possible?

Thanks

Mario Antonetti 03-24-2010 05:05 PM

Re: call a ruby script from html

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Richard Conroy
<richard.conroy@gmail.com>wrote:

> Not too sure what you are trying to do here. The fact that you are invoking
> against your local system is a bit weird, and I dont think that is
> workable.
> Might work for locally loaded Javascript, but not in a HREF.
>
> If you are hitting a server, this can be made to work, as CGI (similar to
> how
> you would invoke against a PHP script), but CGI is not a popular way to
> run Ruby web apps, and it is very poorly documented in general (its
> eclipsed
> by all the other methods).
>
> Again, your parameters would have to be appropriate for a query string, you
> couldn't
> rely on passing them in as command line arguments.
>
> For isntance:

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Mario Ruiz <tcblues@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I would like to call a ruby script from a html page passing a few
> > parameters, something like:
> >
> > Anybody knows how to do it?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > --

> http://richardconroy.blogspot.com

If the ruby script doesn't rely on being run on the server, you could try
HotRuby: http://hotruby.yukoba.jp/

Richard Conroy 03-24-2010 05:15 PM

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Mario Ruiz <tcblues@gmail.com> wrote:

> What I'm trying to do is to call a ruby script that admits parameters.
> This program is going to be run locally.
> The problem is no parameters are taken since the explorers try to
> download the file instead of running the file.
>
> Another way to solve this would be to run directly the code on the
> page... is that possible?

There are a couple of exotic ways to run ruby in your browser. All of them
work like
Java applets.

You can Jar up your ruby code with JRuby, and you might be able to locally
invoke on
it that way.

A similar method works for IronRuby, to get your Ruby code inside a
silverlight applet.

--
http://richardconroy.blogspot.com

Mario Ruiz 03-24-2010 05:16 PM

Re: call a ruby script from html

but in HotRuby only a few implemented methods are allowed. :(

Martin Boese 03-24-2010 10:30 PM

Re: call a ruby script from html

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 02:05:10 +0900
Mario Ruiz <tcblues@gmail.com> wrote:

> What I'm trying to do is to call a ruby script that admits
> parameters. This program is going to be run locally.
> The problem is no parameters are taken since the explorers try to
> download the file instead of running the file.
>
> Another way to solve this would be to run directly the code on the
> page... is that possible?
>
> Thanks

I don't know of any browser what would execute the file, even if
the page was loaded locally....

But running a small local webserver will work. Ruby the code below and
then link to http://localhost:4000/run .

require 'webrick'

class RunScript < WEBrick::HTTPServlet::AbstractServlet
def do_GET(req, res)
system("c:/myS/search.rb param1 param2")
res.status = 200
res['Content-Type'] = 'text/html'
res.body = "<h1>Running Program</h1>"
end
end

server = WEBrick::HTTPServer.new(:Port => 4000)
server.mount("/run", RunScript)

trap("INT"){ server.shutdown }
server.start