Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ruby (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f66-ruby.html)
-   -   [ANN] Ruby-Tk LIbraries Runtime Library 3.0 and Gestalt Items (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t860328-ann-ruby-tk-libraries-runtime-library-3-0-and-gestalt-items.html)

Arndt Roger Schneider 11-06-2009 01:55 PM

[ANN] Ruby-Tk LIbraries Runtime Library 3.0 and Gestalt Items
 
Hi Ruby commuters

It is my distinct pleasure to announce the
availability of Runtime Library 3.0
and Gestalt Items 1.1 for Ruby-tk and Ruby.

Both libraries are written in Tcl/Tk >= version 8.4.
Ruby-tk based Ruby Wrapper classes are part the
libraries, making them accesible from Ruby.

The libraries contain a wide range of
composite windows for Tk:

Basic Container windows for
* scroll able dialogs
* automatic scrollbar management

Listboxes and Hierarchy
* Combobox
* A edit able listbox (called gistbox)
* Multi-column listboxes
* Tree

A complete AQUA compliant toolbar
infrastructure
* goolbar and zoolbar, toolbars
implemented in Tk canvas and / or TkPath and
TkZinc
* gooleditor the associated interactive
toolbar editor.
* A multi-line toolbar (galette)

Dialogs:
* A dual shell, could serve as an
interactive Ruby shell
* A Font selection dialog (Windows design)

tabset, status bar, ...


Take a look at the brand-new manual pages dedicated to Ruby:
http://gestaltitems.sourceforge.net/ruby/index.html

There is currently only one Ruby specific examples inside the
Ruby manual pages, sorry.

The Ruby wrapper classes do not contain typed
properties or methods, such as for tracing variables.
These Ruby-tk specific features are best implemnted through
inheritance. The Ruby wrapper classes are be generated
from the Tcl/Tk source.


Some Details about the Libraries:

All the composite windows
use explicit naming conventions
--they are predeterministic-- to keep
bi-directional communication between
Tcl and Ruby minimal.

Most of the composite windows either use the
Tk canvas or TkPath pathCanvas window in their
implementation. This makes it possible to convert
all the composites into SVG.
The SVG generator is a separate --unpublished-- tool
and not bundled with the libraries.
The manual pages contain such SVGs generated from Tk.

TkPath is highly recommended to gain a
visually sophisticated GUI. The libraries
do also work without TkPath. TkPath is
based on CAIRO under X11 and bypasses the
Tk X11-emulation layer under Windows and OSX.


Download Packages:
geitems11.tgz -- Gestalt Items Library in Tcl/Tk
geitemsRuby11.tgz -- Ruby classes for above Gestalt Items

rtl30.tgz -- Runtime Library in Tcl/Tk
rtlruby30.tgz -- Ruby classes for above Runtime Library

Also see the original documentation at:
http://gestaltitems.sourceforge.net

The Runtime Library (Tcl/Tk) is documented by two
books, the latest book is online at:
http://gestaltitems.sourceforge.net/rtl/index.html

The Gestalt Items book:
http://gestaltitems.sourceforge.net/geitems/index.html

All three books contain lots of Tcl/Tk examples
and screen shots (as bitmaps).


-roger

Michael Fellinger 11-08-2009 06:02 PM

Re: [ANN] Ruby-Tk LIbraries Runtime Library 3.0 and Gestalt Items
 
Hi Arndt,

Just wanted to let you know of the library I'm currently working on:
http://github.com/manveru/ffi-tk
I'll go through your stuff, sounds really handy.

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Arndt Roger Schneider
<arndt.roger@web.de> wrote:
> Hi Ruby commuters
>
> It is my distinct pleasure to announce the
> availability of Runtime Library 3.0
> and Gestalt Items 1.1 for Ruby-tk and Ruby.
>
> Both libraries are written in Tcl/Tk >=3D version 8.4.
> Ruby-tk based Ruby Wrapper classes are part the
> libraries, making them accesible from Ruby.
>
> The libraries contain a wide range of
> composite windows for Tk:
>
> Basic Container windows for
> * scroll able dialogs
> * automatic scrollbar management
>
> Listboxes and Hierarchy
> * Combobox
> * A edit able listbox (called gistbox)
> * Multi-column listboxes
> * Tree
>
> A complete AQUA compliant toolbar
> infrastructure
> * goolbar and zoolbar, toolbars
> =C2=A0implemented in Tk canvas and / or TkPath and
> =C2=A0TkZinc
> * gooleditor the associated interactive
> =C2=A0toolbar editor.
> * A multi-line toolbar (galette)
>
> Dialogs:
> * A dual shell, could serve as an
> =C2=A0interactive Ruby shell
> * A Font selection dialog (Windows design)
>
> tabset, status bar, ...
>
>
> Take a look at the brand-new manual pages dedicated to Ruby:
> http://gestaltitems.sourceforge.net/ruby/index.html
>
> There is currently only one Ruby specific examples inside the
> Ruby manual pages, sorry.
>
> The Ruby wrapper classes do not contain typed
> properties or methods, such as for tracing variables.
> These Ruby-tk specific features are best implemnted through
> inheritance. The Ruby wrapper classes are be generated
> from the Tcl/Tk source.
>
>
> Some Details about the Libraries:
>
> All the composite windows
> use explicit naming conventions
> --they are predeterministic-- to keep
> bi-directional communication between
> Tcl and Ruby minimal.
>
> Most of the composite windows either use the
> Tk canvas or TkPath pathCanvas window in their
> implementation. This makes it possible to convert
> all the composites into SVG.
> The SVG generator is a separate --unpublished-- tool
> and not bundled with the libraries.
> The manual pages contain such SVGs generated from Tk.
>
> TkPath is highly recommended to gain a
> visually sophisticated GUI. The libraries
> do also work without TkPath. TkPath is
> based on CAIRO under X11 and bypasses the
> Tk X11-emulation layer under Windows and OSX.
>
>
> Download Packages:
> geitems11.tgz -- Gestalt Items Library in Tcl/Tk
> geitemsRuby11.tgz -- Ruby classes for above Gestalt Items
>
> rtl30.tgz -- Runtime Library in Tcl/Tk
> rtlruby30.tgz -- Ruby classes for above Runtime Library
>
> Also see the original documentation at:
> http://gestaltitems.sourceforge.net
>
> The Runtime Library (Tcl/Tk) is documented by two
> books, the latest book is online at:
> http://gestaltitems.sourceforge.net/rtl/index.html
>
> The Gestalt Items book:
> http://gestaltitems.sourceforge.net/geitems/index.html
>
> All three books contain lots of Tcl/Tk examples
> and screen shots (as bitmaps).
>
>
> -roger
>
>




--=20
Michael Fellinger
CTO, The Rubyists, LLC
972-996-5199


Arndt Roger Schneider 11-09-2009 11:03 AM

Re: [ANN] Ruby-Tk LIbraries Runtime Library 3.0 and Gestalt Items
 
Michael Fellinger schrieb:

>Hi Arndt,
>
>Just wanted to let you know of the library I'm currently working on:
>http://github.com/manveru/ffi-tk
>I'll go through your stuff, sounds really handy.
>
>
>

[snip]

Hi Michael,
your project lacks some documentation.

How does the interface differ from ruby-tk?
Only in the require statement?

What about custom properties--traces on variables?

I have a tool which generates wrapper classes from the
Tcl source code for python, ruby and lisp, support for your
library wouldn't be hard.

-roger

Michael Fellinger 11-09-2009 12:01 PM

Re: [ANN] Ruby-Tk LIbraries Runtime Library 3.0 and Gestalt Items
 
On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Arndt Roger Schneider
<arndt.roger@web.de> wrote:
> Michael Fellinger schrieb:
>
>> Hi Arndt,
>>
>> Just wanted to let you know of the library I'm currently working on:
>> http://github.com/manveru/ffi-tk
>> I'll go through your stuff, sounds really handy.
>>
>>

>
> [snip]
>
> Hi Michael,
> your project lacks some documentation.
>
> How does the interface differ from ruby-tk?
> Only in the require statement?
>
> What about custom properties--traces on variables?
>
> I have a tool which generates wrapper classes from the
> Tcl source code for python, ruby and lisp, support for your
> library wouldn't be hard.


I'm sorry, the project is just a month old and just got usable
recently, still a few of the commands are missing.
I will try to improve the documentation and make a first release soon,
maybe within a week.
The interface differs from ruby-tk by not providing lots of aliases
and using the C API of Tcl/Tk a lot more.
You can take a look at the specs and examples to see how it is being
used, usual apps don't need a lot of change to run on FFI::Tk.
Thanks for the information.
I haven't found any information on TkPath, is it shipped with tk, or
do i need to compile anything to install it?

>
> -roger
>
>




--
Michael Fellinger
CTO, The Rubyists, LLC
972-996-5199


Arndt Roger Schneider 11-10-2009 02:34 PM

Re: [ANN] Ruby-Tk LIbraries Runtime Library 3.0 and Gestalt Items
 
Michael Fellinger schrieb:

>On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Arndt Roger Schneider
><arndt.roger@web.de> wrote:
>
>
>>Michael Fellinger schrieb:
>>[snip]
>>
>>Hi Michael,
>>your project lacks some documentation.
>>
>>How does the interface differ from ruby-tk?
>>Only in the require statement?
>>
>>What about custom properties--traces on variables?
>>
>>I have a tool which generates wrapper classes from the
>>Tcl source code for python, ruby and lisp, support for your
>>library wouldn't be hard.
>>
>>

>
>I'm sorry, the project is just a month old and just got usable
>recently, still a few of the commands are missing.
>I will try to improve the documentation and make a first release soon,
>maybe within a week.
>The interface differs from ruby-tk by not providing lots of aliases
>and using the C API of Tcl/Tk a lot more.
>You can take a look at the specs and examples to see how it is being
>used, usual apps don't need a lot of change to run on FFI::Tk.
>Thanks for the information.
>I haven't found any information on TkPath, is it shipped with tk, or
>do i need to compile anything to install it?
>
>
>

Yes it's a 3rd party package!

The Runtime Library and Gestalt Items
are independent from tkpath
--you just get a more sophisticated
Graphical User Interface with transparency and gradients :-)

The Tcl-related documentation of the Runtime Library
contains a chapter on tkpath:
http://gestaltitems.sourceforge.net/rtl/RTL_Tkpath.html

In short the project is hosted at sourceforge under
http://tclbitprint.sourceforge.net/

Source code access through CVS:
# cvs tkpath:
cvs
-d:pserver:anonymous@tclbitprint.cvs.sourceforge.ne t:/cvsroot/tclbitprint
login
# gives you version 0.3.x
# [enter]
cvs -z3
-d:pserver:anonymous@tclbitprint.cvs.sourceforge.ne t:/cvsroot/tclbitprint
co -P tkpath


There are some administrative difficulties with tkpath right now.
I do recommend that you use a
stable older version (0.2.8 instead of the current 0.3 and 0.3.1).
The Runtime Library and Gestalt Items support both tkpath 0.2 and 0.3.x.

-roger


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.