Velocity Reviews

-   -   split question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t859915-split-question.html)

Li Chen 10-07-2009 09:29 PM

split question

Hi all,

I try to split a line that is separated by 'tab' and expect return an
array with all the elements containing empty space. But my code doesn't
work. Any idea?

Thanks,

Li

C:\Documents and Settings\chen41\Desktop>irb
irb(main):001:0> s='\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t'
=> "\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t"
irb(main):002:0> s.split(/\t/)
=> ["\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t"]
irb(main):003:0> s.split(/\\t/)
=> []
irb(main):004:0>

Ryan Davis 10-07-2009 09:39 PM

Re: split question

On Oct 7, 2009, at 14:29 , Li Chen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I try to split a line that is separated by 'tab' and expect return an
> array with all the elements containing empty space. But my code
> doesn't
> work. Any idea?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Li
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\chen41\Desktop>irb
> irb(main):001:0> s='\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t'
> => "\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t"

These aren't tabs. They're "\" followed by "t", you can tell because
the "\" is backslashed, meaning it is a literal backslash.

Use double quotes instead.

Josh Cheek 10-07-2009 09:47 PM

Re: split question

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Li Chen <chen_li3@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I try to split a line that is separated by 'tab' and expect return an
> array with all the elements containing empty space. But my code doesn't
> work. Any idea?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Li
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\chen41\Desktop>irb
> irb(main):001:0> s='\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t'
> => "\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t"
> irb(main):002:0> s.split(/\t/)
> => ["\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t"]
> irb(main):003:0> s.split(/\\t/)
> => []
> irb(main):004:0>

Single quotes treat things literally, like you can't interpolate, and \t is
treated as two separate characters.

$irb

>> RUBY_VERSION

=> "1.8.6"

>> s = '\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t'

=> "\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t"

>> s = "\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t"

=> "\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t"

>> s.split /\t/

=> []

>> 'abc#{2}def'

=> "abc\#{2}def"

>> "abc#{2}def"

=> "abc2def"

Li Chen 10-07-2009 09:57 PM

Re: split question

Ryan Davis wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2009, at 14:29 , Li Chen wrote:
>

>> C:\Documents and Settings\chen41\Desktop>irb
>> irb(main):001:0> s='\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t'
>> => "\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t"

> These aren't tabs. They're "\" followed by "t", you can tell because
> the "\" is backslashed, meaning it is a literal backslash.
>
> Use double quotes instead.

Here is what I get using double quotes. I get an empty array only.

Siep Korteling 10-07-2009 09:59 PM

Re: split question

Li Chen wrote:
> Ryan Davis wrote:
>> On Oct 7, 2009, at 14:29 , Li Chen wrote:
>>

>>> C:\Documents and Settings\chen41\Desktop>irb
>>> irb(main):001:0> s='\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t'
>>> => "\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t"

>> These aren't tabs. They're "\" followed by "t", you can tell because
>> the "\" is backslashed, meaning it is a literal backslash.
>>
>> Use double quotes instead.

> Here is what I get using double quotes. I get an empty array only.
>

> C:\Documents and Settings\chen41\Desktop>irb
> irb(main):001:0> s="\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t"
> => "\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t"
> irb(main):002:0> s.split(/\t/)
> => []
> irb(main):003:0>

str.split takes two parameters: the pattern and optionally the "limit"
From the docs:
If the limit parameter is omitted, trailing null fields are suppressed.
If limit is a positive number, at most that number of fields will be
returned (if limit is 1, the entire string is returned as the only entry
in an array). If negative, there is no limit to the number of fields
returned, and trailing null fields are not suppressed.

So

s = "\t\t\t\t"
s.split("\t") #all null fields
#=> []
s.split("\t",-1)
#=> ["", "", "", ""]

hth,

Siep

David A. Black 10-07-2009 10:02 PM

Re: split question

Hi --

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Siep Korteling wrote:

> Li Chen wrote:
>> Ryan Davis wrote:

>>> These aren't tabs. They're "\" followed by "t", you can tell because
>>> the "\" is backslashed, meaning it is a literal backslash.
>>>
>>> Use double quotes instead.

>> Here is what I get using double quotes. I get an empty array only.
>>

>> C:\Documents and Settings\chen41\Desktop>irb
>> irb(main):001:0> s="\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t"
>> => "\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t"
>> irb(main):002:0> s.split(/\t/)
>> => []
>> irb(main):003:0>

> str.split takes two parameters: the pattern and optionally the "limit"
>> From the docs:

> If the limit parameter is omitted, trailing null fields are suppressed.
> If limit is a positive number, at most that number of fields will be
> returned (if limit is 1, the entire string is returned as the only entry
> in an array). If negative, there is no limit to the number of fields
> returned, and trailing null fields are not suppressed.
>
> So
>
> s = "\t\t\t\t"
> s.split("\t") #all null fields
> #=> []
> s.split("\t",-1)

David

--
The Ruby training with D. Black, G. Brown, J.McAnally
Compleat Jan 22-23, 2010, Tampa, FL

David A. Black/Ruby Power and Light, LLC (http://www.rubypal.com)