Velocity Reviews

-   -   [ANN] nfc 2.0.0 Released (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t858960-ann-nfc-2-0-0-released.html)

Aaron Patterson 08-08-2009 05:26 AM

[ANN] nfc 2.0.0 Released

nfc version 2.0.0 has been released!

* <http://seattlerb.rubyforge.org>

NFC is a ruby wrapper for the Near Field Communication library. The Near
Field Communication library works with many USB RFID readers, so this gem
lets you read RFID tags.

Changes:

### 2.0.0 / 2009-08-07

* 2 major enhancements

* Switched from FFI to a C backend
* Now depends on libnfc 1.2.x

## FEATURES/PROBLEMS:

* Only supports ISO1443A (MIFARE) tags right now.

## SYNOPSIS:

require 'nfc'

# Read your tag and print the info.
p NFC.instance.find

# NFC#find will return immidiately, which means you should have a tag
# sitting on the reader when running it. If you'd like it to block until
# it detects a tag, give find a block like so:

NFC.instance.find do |tag|
p tag
end

# You can even run in an infinite loop if you'd like to continually find
# tags:

loop do
NFC.instance.find do |tag|
p tag
end
end

## REQUIREMENTS:

* A USB RFID reader. I'm using the touchatag[http://touchatag.com].
* libnfc

## INSTALL:

First install libnfc[http://libnfc.org/]
I installed libnfc like this:

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
$ make && make install

The install the gem:

$ sudo gem install nfc

NOTE!!!! The nfc gem requires libnfc version 1.2.0 or greater!

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/

Aaron Patterson 08-09-2009 09:04 PM

Re: [ANN] nfc 2.0.0 Released

On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 02:26:20PM +0900, Aaron Patterson wrote:
> nfc version 2.0.0 has been released!
>
> * <http://seattlerb.rubyforge.org>
>
> NFC is a ruby wrapper for the Near Field Communication library. The Near
> Field Communication library works with many USB RFID readers, so this gem
> lets you read RFID tags.

I made a video of me using the RFID reader along with some sample code:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronp/3804698617/
http://gist.github.com/164896

Go innernet! This is truly the future (minus the jetpacks etc).

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/