Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to do conditional compile for Ruby 1.9 in a C extension? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t855964-how-to-do-conditional-compile-for-ruby-1-9-in-a-c-extension.html)

Jason Garber 02-19-2009 05:21 PM

How to do conditional compile for Ruby 1.9 in a C extension?

I'm working on updating RedCloth for Ruby 1.9. Since the output of
#singleton_methods changed from strings to symbols, I think I need a
conditional compile. Here's what I tried:

#if RUBY_VERSION < 0x10900
if (rb_ary_includes(rb_funcall(self, rb_intern("singleton_methods"),
0), btype)) {
#else
if (rb_ary_includes(rb_funcall(self, rb_intern("singleton_methods"),
0), rb_str_intern(btype))) {
#endif

Jason Garber 02-19-2009 05:24 PM

Re: How to do conditional compile for Ruby 1.9 in a C extens

Sorry, ruby-forum cut off the rest of what I wrote. The above code
example is doing the first way for both 1.8 and 1.9. What's the proper
way to detect the ruby version or the feature?

Thanks!
Jason Garber

Rick DeNatale 02-19-2009 05:51 PM

Re: How to do conditional compile for Ruby 1.9 in a C extension?

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Jason Garber <jg@jasongarber.com> wrote:

> I'm working on updating RedCloth for Ruby 1.9. Since the output of
> #singleton_methods changed from strings to symbols, I think I need a
> conditional compile. Here's what I tried:
>
> #if RUBY_VERSION < 0x10900
> if (rb_ary_includes(rb_funcall(self, rb_intern("singleton_methods"),
> 0), btype)) {
> #else
> if (rb_ary_includes(rb_funcall(self, rb_intern("singleton_methods"),
> 0), rb_str_intern(btype))) {
> #endif

from version.h in Ruby 1.9
define RUBY_VERSION "1.9.2"
#define RUBY_RELEASE_DATE "2009-02-16"
#define RUBY_PATCHLEVEL -1
#define RUBY_BRANCH_NAME "trunk"

#define RUBY_VERSION_MAJOR 1
#define RUBY_VERSION_MINOR 9
#define RUBY_VERSION_TEENY 1
#define RUBY_RELEASE_YEAR 2009
#define RUBY_RELEASE_MONTH 2
#define RUBY_RELEASE_DAY 16

and for Ruby 1.8.6
#define RUBY_VERSION "1.8.6"
#define RUBY_RELEASE_DATE "2007-11-12"
#define RUBY_VERSION_CODE 186
#define RUBY_RELEASE_CODE 20071112
#define RUBY_PATCHLEVEL 5000

#define RUBY_VERSION_MAJOR 1
#define RUBY_VERSION_MINOR 8
#define RUBY_VERSION_TEENY 6
#define RUBY_RELEASE_YEAR 2007
#define RUBY_RELEASE_MONTH 11
#define RUBY_RELEASE_DAY 12

so I think that you want something like

#if RUBY_VERSION < '1.9.0'
do pre 1.9 stuff
#else
do 1.9 stuff
#end

Matz is careful to use Ruby version numbers which can be compared using
string comparison.

or

#if RUBY_VERSION_MAJOR = 1 && RUBY_VERSION_MINOR == 9
do 1.9 stuff
#else
do 1.8 stuff
#end

or some variant on those.

--
Rick DeNatale

WWR: http://www.workingwithrails.com/pers...-rick-denatale

Jason Garber 02-19-2009 06:20 PM

Re: How to do conditional compile for Ruby 1.9 in a C extens

> Matz is careful to use Ruby version numbers which can be compared using
> string comparison.

Nice! I didn't know that, so where I'd seen string comparisons on the
version number before, I just thought it was foolhardy.

Thanks for the help.

Jason

Jason Garber 02-19-2009 08:59 PM

Re: How to do conditional compile for Ruby 1.9 in a C extens

It's not working for me. In my C file I tested the presence of those
variables like so:

#ifdef RUBY_VERSION_MAJOR
printf("RUBY_VERSION_MAJOR defined\n");
#endif
#ifndef RUBY_VERSION_MAJOR
printf("RUBY_VERSION_MAJOR NOT defined ******\n");
#endif

and it outputs RUBY_VERSION_MAJOR NOT defined ******

Why aren't the RUBY_VERSION constants defined?

Rick DeNatale 02-19-2009 09:24 PM

Re: How to do conditional compile for Ruby 1.9 in a C extens

did you include version.h?

Jason Garber 02-20-2009 01:45 AM

Re: How to do conditional compile for Ruby 1.9 in a C extens

version.h couldn't be found. I've read that version.h is deprecated in
Ruby 1.9. There's either got to be another way to detect the change or
a way to work around it. I'd just use map! to convert the strings to
symbols if I knew how to do it in C.

Tim Hunter 02-20-2009 02:42 AM

Jason Garber wrote:
> version.h couldn't be found. I've read that version.h is deprecated in
> Ruby 1.9. There's either got to be another way to detect the change or
> a way to work around it. I'd just use map! to convert the strings to
> symbols if I knew how to do it in C.

I'm not saying this is the best way (maybe Nobu can provide a better
answer), but if you can be sure that mkmf.rb is being executed by the
same version of Ruby, then you could cook up a feature test in your
extconf.rb that would create a preprocessor symbol to test. Determine
what singleton_methods is doing, then call $defs.push to set a symbol:

$defs.push("-DNEW_SINGLETON_METHODS")

--
RMagick: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/

Nobuyoshi Nakada 02-20-2009 04:07 AM

Re: How to do conditional compile for Ruby 1.9 in a C extension?

Hi,

At Fri, 20 Feb 2009 02:21:24 +0900,
Jason Garber wrote in [ruby-talk:328775]:
> I'm working on updating RedCloth for Ruby 1.9. Since the output of
> #singleton_methods changed from strings to symbols, I think I need a
> conditional compile. Here's what I tried:

The output? You convert the argument.

> #if RUBY_VERSION < 0x10900
> if (rb_ary_includes(rb_funcall(self, rb_intern("singleton_methods"),
> 0), btype)) {
> #else
> if (rb_ary_includes(rb_funcall(self, rb_intern("singleton_methods"),
> 0), rb_str_intern(btype))) {
> #endif

And #singleton_methods takes a flag, anything not only string
and symbol can be true.

--
Nobu Nakada

Jason Garber 02-20-2009 09:58 AM

Re: How to do conditional compile for Ruby 1.9 in a C extens

Sorry, nobu, I didn't follow you. Try again?