Velocity Reviews

-   -   problem with Hello World test, window shut instantly (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t855576-problem-with-hello-world-test-window-shut-instantly.html)

Blackthirteen Blackthirteen 02-02-2009 09:48 AM

problem with Hello World test, window shut instantly

Hello, I’m new to ruby. So I started with the famous Hello World program
after installing Ruby.

When I save a program as test.rb and I run it, the window open but shut
very quickly. How can I see my results once I run the program I made?

Yaser Sulaiman 02-02-2009 10:52 AM

Re: problem with Hello World test, window shut instantly

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Blackthirteen Blackthirteen <
karvboy@hotmail.com> wrote:

> When I save a program as test.rb and I run it, the window open but shut
> very quickly. How can I see my results once I run the program I made?

A quick fix: add "gets" to the end of your script. This will make your
program wait for your input. Once you hit Enter it will terminate.

Or you can just open the command line interface, navigate to the directory
containing your script, and then enter its name ("test.rb" in this case) to
execute it.

HTH,
Yaser

Reth11 02-02-2009 12:18 PM

Re: problem with Hello World test, window shut instantly

On Feb 2, 3:48*am, Blackthirteen Blackthirteen <karv...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello, Im new to ruby. So I started with the famous Hello World program
> after installing Ruby.
>
> When I save a program as test.rb and I run it, the window open but shut
> very quickly. How can I see my results once I run the program I made?

Greetings,
I use windows. I started out with the same problem. I did start/run
and cmd. Using the Ruby in the command prompt can be a pain. The
documentation or whatever does not hint that it comes with a program/
text editor. If you go to Start, All Programs, Ruby*, and click on
SciTE. This editor is my favorite. I have tried a few others (eText
Editor and Komomdo Editor) on Windows platform and just didn't like
them.

Cheer

Pascal J. Bourguignon 02-02-2009 12:34 PM

Blackthirteen Blackthirteen <karvboy@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hello, I’m new to ruby. So I started with the famous Hello World program
> after installing Ruby.
>
> When I save a program as test.rb and I run it, the window open but shut
> very quickly. How can I see my results once I run the program I made?

I would use emacs, both as an editor and as a shell window in which to
run ruby programs. Emacs can also be used to drive an interactive
ruby session (irb).
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/wi...roduction.html

Launch emacs, Read the tutorial (Control-h t).

Then you can launch a shell with: M-x shell RET
and type there your commands, such as: ruby hw.rb

For interactive ruby: M-x run-ruby RET

You can edit your files: C-x C-f hw.rb RET

etc...

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

Julian Leviston 02-03-2009 02:34 AM

Re: problem with Hello World test, window shut instantly

It's because he's using windows and running it without opening a =20
command line first

Sent from my iPhone