Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   ASP .Net (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f29-asp-net.html)
-   -   IIS6 POST request failing with 500 error (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t85112-iis6-post-request-failing-with-500-error.html)

Ed Dearlove 08-19-2004 12:19 AM

IIS6 POST request failing with 500 error
 
**Also posted in inetserver.iis newsgroup as I am unsure of where the
problem lies**

Hi,

I have a strange problem, or I may just be stupid, but wondering if anyone
can help with this one:


We receive a large number of very simple POST requests to our vb.net web
apps from our suppliers (all using php or jsp - if that has any relevance).
Historically our ,net apps have been hosted (still are!) on win2k boxes with
IIS5 with no problem, GET and POST requests work fine, from their apps,
IE5/6 ... all fine!

Now here is where the problem starts, recently put two new servers (2003 std
with IIS6) in our colo, installed the same apps, and they appear to work
fine (make GET requests from IE6 - fine) however our clients get a 500 error
when posting and when simulating a session through telnet the server
responds with 500.

All i can see in the logs is the request coming in as a POST with 500 as the
error code.

Any help much appreciated (if you need more info please let me know)

Many thanks in advance



Rutger 08-19-2004 06:46 AM

Re: IIS6 POST request failing with 500 error
 
Ed Dearlove wrote:

> **Also posted in inetserver.iis newsgroup as I am unsure of where the
> problem lies**
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a strange problem, or I may just be stupid, but wondering if anyone
> can help with this one:
>
>
> We receive a large number of very simple POST requests to our vb.net web
> apps from our suppliers (all using php or jsp - if that has any relevance).
> Historically our ,net apps have been hosted (still are!) on win2k boxes with
> IIS5 with no problem, GET and POST requests work fine, from their apps,
> IE5/6 ... all fine!
>
> Now here is where the problem starts, recently put two new servers (2003 std
> with IIS6) in our colo, installed the same apps, and they appear to work
> fine (make GET requests from IE6 - fine) however our clients get a 500 error
> when posting and when simulating a session through telnet the server
> responds with 500.
>
> All i can see in the logs is the request coming in as a POST with 500 as the
> error code.
>
> Any help much appreciated (if you need more info please let me know)
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
>



In IE6, turn 'Show friendly error pages' on and off and find out if it
makes any difference. Don't know exactly what the case is but that's
what I've found ou once.

//Rutger

Ed Dearlove 08-19-2004 07:42 AM

Re: IIS6 POST request failing with 500 error
 
Hi,

thanks for your thoughts, unfortunatly each time i connect to the page from
IE (Show friendly error pages on or off) it displays perfectaly. The only
way I can replicate the problem locally is to set up a manual telnet session
to the server

Ed

"Rutger" <rutgersmit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:41244c7e$0$65124$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> Ed Dearlove wrote:
>
> > **Also posted in inetserver.iis newsgroup as I am unsure of where the
> > problem lies**
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a strange problem, or I may just be stupid, but wondering if

anyone
> > can help with this one:
> >
> >
> > We receive a large number of very simple POST requests to our vb.net web
> > apps from our suppliers (all using php or jsp - if that has any

relevance).
> > Historically our ,net apps have been hosted (still are!) on win2k boxes

with
> > IIS5 with no problem, GET and POST requests work fine, from their apps,
> > IE5/6 ... all fine!
> >
> > Now here is where the problem starts, recently put two new servers (2003

std
> > with IIS6) in our colo, installed the same apps, and they appear to work
> > fine (make GET requests from IE6 - fine) however our clients get a 500

error
> > when posting and when simulating a session through telnet the server
> > responds with 500.
> >
> > All i can see in the logs is the request coming in as a POST with 500 as

the
> > error code.
> >
> > Any help much appreciated (if you need more info please let me know)
> >
> > Many thanks in advance
> >
> >

>
>
> In IE6, turn 'Show friendly error pages' on and off and find out if it
> makes any difference. Don't know exactly what the case is but that's
> what I've found ou once.
>
> //Rutger




Joerg Jooss 08-19-2004 07:53 AM

Re: IIS6 POST request failing with 500 error
 
Ed Dearlove wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your thoughts, unfortunatly each time i connect to the
> page from IE (Show friendly error pages on or off) it displays
> perfectaly. The only way I can replicate the problem locally is to
> set up a manual telnet session to the server


What request do you eumlate via telnet to reproduce the error?

Cheers,

--
Joerg Jooss
joerg.jooss@gmx.net


Ed Dearlove 08-19-2004 08:02 AM

Re: IIS6 POST request failing with 500 error
 
Hi Joerg,

the sample app I am using is a test one, so it can accept any parameters
and just logs the details of the request into a text file.

I am not too sure what you mean by 'What request do you eumlate via telnet
to reproduce the error?' but I will give you a full list of what I do when i
telnet it!

telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 80
POST /appname/page.aspx HTTP/1.0

Host: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Content-type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
Content-length: 9

test=true

If there is any other way of testing please let me know - also is there a
telnet app that you can see the local echo?

Thanks in advance





"Joerg Jooss" <joerg.jooss@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:ez1wnGchEHA.3916@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Ed Dearlove wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > thanks for your thoughts, unfortunatly each time i connect to the
> > page from IE (Show friendly error pages on or off) it displays
> > perfectaly. The only way I can replicate the problem locally is to
> > set up a manual telnet session to the server

>
> What request do you eumlate via telnet to reproduce the error?
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Joerg Jooss
> joerg.jooss@gmx.net
>




Joerg Jooss 08-19-2004 08:35 AM

Re: IIS6 POST request failing with 500 error
 
Ed Dearlove wrote:
> Hi Joerg,
>
> the sample app I am using is a test one, so it can accept any
> parameters and just logs the details of the request into a text file.


Good,


> I am not too sure what you mean by 'What request do you eumlate via
> telnet to reproduce the error?' but I will give you a full list of
> what I do when i telnet it!


Yeah, that's I meant. You're pretending to be a web client by typing in HTTP
requests via telnet :-)

> telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 80
> POST /appname/page.aspx HTTP/1.0
>


Wait. There must be no empty line here, othwerwise your headers become the
message body.

> Host: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> Content-type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
> Content-length: 9
>
> test=true


You could perform another quick test here. Since you already pass a Host
header, you can safely change the protocol version to HTTP 1.1.


> If there is any other way of testing please let me know - also is
> there a telnet app that you can see the local echo?


You could create a test web form or build a test windows app. As far as the
local echo goes, I'd thought that any old telnet client can do that?

Cheers,

--
Joerg Jooss
joerg.jooss@gmx.net


Ed Dearlove 08-19-2004 09:13 AM

Re: IIS6 POST request failing with 500 error
 
Hi again!

firstly thanks for all your help, with that change to the telnet session you
mentioned it works perfectly with both HTTP1.0 and 1.1.....so i am totally
confused!!




"Joerg Jooss" <joerg.jooss@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:%235TrBechEHA.632@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Ed Dearlove wrote:
> > Hi Joerg,
> >
> > the sample app I am using is a test one, so it can accept any
> > parameters and just logs the details of the request into a text file.

>
> Good,
>
>
> > I am not too sure what you mean by 'What request do you eumlate via
> > telnet to reproduce the error?' but I will give you a full list of
> > what I do when i telnet it!

>
> Yeah, that's I meant. You're pretending to be a web client by typing in

HTTP
> requests via telnet :-)
>
> > telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 80
> > POST /appname/page.aspx HTTP/1.0
> >

>
> Wait. There must be no empty line here, othwerwise your headers become the
> message body.
>
> > Host: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> > Content-type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
> > Content-length: 9
> >
> > test=true

>
> You could perform another quick test here. Since you already pass a Host
> header, you can safely change the protocol version to HTTP 1.1.
>
>
> > If there is any other way of testing please let me know - also is
> > there a telnet app that you can see the local echo?

>
> You could create a test web form or build a test windows app. As far as

the
> local echo goes, I'd thought that any old telnet client can do that?
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Joerg Jooss
> joerg.jooss@gmx.net
>




Joerg Jooss 08-19-2004 09:43 AM

Re: IIS6 POST request failing with 500 error
 
Ed Dearlove wrote:
> Hi again!
>
> firstly thanks for all your help, with that change to the telnet
> session you mentioned it works perfectly with both HTTP1.0 and
> 1.1.....so i am totally confused!!


Where do these POST requests from your third parties actually fail? Are they
rejected by IIS 6 right away, or do they cause an exception within the
ASP.NET pipeline?

Cheers,

--
Joerg Jooss
joerg.jooss@gmx.net


Ed Dearlove 08-19-2004 10:00 AM

Re: IIS6 POST request failing with 500 error
 
Rejected before ASP gets hold of them (I think - although I am still
checking) I have a whole load of debug code running in the .net and nothing
seems to get there


"Joerg Jooss" <joerg.jooss@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:%23pnE1DdhEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Ed Dearlove wrote:
> > Hi again!
> >
> > firstly thanks for all your help, with that change to the telnet
> > session you mentioned it works perfectly with both HTTP1.0 and
> > 1.1.....so i am totally confused!!

>
> Where do these POST requests from your third parties actually fail? Are

they
> rejected by IIS 6 right away, or do they cause an exception within the
> ASP.NET pipeline?
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Joerg Jooss
> joerg.jooss@gmx.net
>




Patrice 08-19-2004 10:08 AM

Re: IIS6 POST request failing with 500 error
 
I woudl start by trapping errors (using either customErrors tags or
Application_OnError). You can then mail this error so that you are aware of
waht's happening in your app without having to reproduce the problem...

Patrice

--

"Ed Dearlove" <ed@nohost.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:eL4g7ychEHA.2952@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi again!
>
> firstly thanks for all your help, with that change to the telnet session

you
> mentioned it works perfectly with both HTTP1.0 and 1.1.....so i am totally
> confused!!
>
>
>
>
> "Joerg Jooss" <joerg.jooss@gmx.net> wrote in message
> news:%235TrBechEHA.632@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > Ed Dearlove wrote:
> > > Hi Joerg,
> > >
> > > the sample app I am using is a test one, so it can accept any
> > > parameters and just logs the details of the request into a text file.

> >
> > Good,
> >
> >
> > > I am not too sure what you mean by 'What request do you eumlate via
> > > telnet to reproduce the error?' but I will give you a full list of
> > > what I do when i telnet it!

> >
> > Yeah, that's I meant. You're pretending to be a web client by typing in

> HTTP
> > requests via telnet :-)
> >
> > > telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 80
> > > POST /appname/page.aspx HTTP/1.0
> > >

> >
> > Wait. There must be no empty line here, othwerwise your headers become

the
> > message body.
> >
> > > Host: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> > > Content-type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
> > > Content-length: 9
> > >
> > > test=true

> >
> > You could perform another quick test here. Since you already pass a Host
> > header, you can safely change the protocol version to HTTP 1.1.
> >
> >
> > > If there is any other way of testing please let me know - also is
> > > there a telnet app that you can see the local echo?

> >
> > You could create a test web form or build a test windows app. As far as

> the
> > local echo goes, I'd thought that any old telnet client can do that?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > --
> > Joerg Jooss
> > joerg.jooss@gmx.net
> >

>
>





All times are GMT. The time now is 10:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.