Velocity Reviews

-   -   "gem list" and "sudo gem list" yield different results (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t849251-gem-list-and-sudo-gem-list-yield-different-results.html)

Mike Nicholaides 03-28-2008 02:09 PM

"gem list" and "sudo gem list" yield different results

Hey there,

"sudo gem list" shows all my gems, while
"gem list" shows no gems.

As a result, I have to start mongrel with "sudo script/server", because
without sudo, it can't find my gems.

Any clues? Is this a permissions thing?

I'm doing this on a centos server.

Lyle Johnson 03-28-2008 02:16 PM

Re: "gem list" and "sudo gem list" yield different results

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Mike Nicholaides
<mike.nicholaides@gmail.com> wrote:

> "sudo gem list" shows all my gems, while
> "gem list" shows no gems.

Sounds to me that you have more than one Ruby/RubyGems installation.
You might want to compare the results of typing:

gem environment

with the results of typing:

sudo gem environment

Hope this helps,

Lyle

Dave Thomas 03-28-2008 02:26 PM

On Mar 28, 2008, at 9:09 AM, Mike Nicholaides wrote:
> "sudo gem list" shows all my gems, while
> "gem list" shows no gems.

do "which gem"
and "sudo which gem"

I'm guessing they're different

Dave

Mike Nicholaides 03-28-2008 02:29 PM

Re: "gem list" and "sudo gem list" yield different results

Wow!, you were absolutely right!

Thanks a lot!