Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is there an easy way to color/control console output? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t847925-is-there-an-easy-way-to-color-control-console-output.html)

Andy 02-06-2008 12:13 AM

Is there an easy way to color/control console output?

Hello everyone, is there an easy way for me to color my console
output? What about updating just a particular x/y coordinate? I
don't have time to learn Tk right now for a graphical GUI but just
being able to control the color and locations of what I print out
would be so nice. I am on windows right now but I would like the code
to be cross platform if it as all possible. Anyone here have any
suggestions for something light weight?

--=20
-Andy
"I have a great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." =96
Edgar Allen Poe

Reacher 02-06-2008 12:51 AM

Re: Is there an easy way to color/control console output?

On Feb 5, 7:13 pm, Andy <agunner...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone, is there an easy way for me to color my console
> output? What about updating just a particular x/y coordinate? I
> don't have time to learn Tk right now for a graphical GUI but just
> being able to control the color and locations of what I print out
> would be so nice. I am on windows right now but I would like the code
> to be cross platform if it as all possible. Anyone here have any
> suggestions for something light weight?
>
> --
> -Andy
> "I have a great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." -
> Edgar Allen Poe

Take a look at ncurses. I've never used the ruby extension for it,
but it's a fairly easy way to manipulate the console. There is color
support. Also, Coderay (http://coderay.rubychan.de/) is a gem that
colorizes text based on coding language.

ben baka 02-06-2008 10:14 AM

Re: Is there an easy way to color/control console output?

See:

http://benjaminbaka.wordpress.com/20...or-using-ruby/

On Feb 6, 2008 12:54 AM, Reacher <brandon.g.jones@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 5, 7:13 pm, Andy <agunner...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello everyone, is there an easy way for me to color my console
> > output? What about updating just a particular x/y coordinate? I
> > don't have time to learn Tk right now for a graphical GUI but just
> > being able to control the color and locations of what I print out
> > would be so nice. I am on windows right now but I would like the code
> > to be cross platform if it as all possible. Anyone here have any
> > suggestions for something light weight?
> >
> > --
> > -Andy
> > "I have a great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." -
> > Edgar Allen Poe

> Take a look at ncurses. I've never used the ruby extension for it,
> but it's a fairly easy way to manipulate the console. There is color
> support. Also, Coderay (http://coderay.rubychan.de/) is a gem that
> colorizes text based on coding language.

--
--Ben Baka
Blog : http://benjaminbaka.wordpress.com/

Jeremy Hinegardner 02-06-2008 06:19 PM

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 09:54:55AM +0900, Reacher wrote:
> On Feb 5, 7:13 pm, Andy <agunner...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello everyone, is there an easy way for me to color my console
> > output? What about updating just a particular x/y coordinate? I
> > don't have time to learn Tk right now for a graphical GUI but just
> > being able to control the color and locations of what I print out
> > would be so nice. I am on windows right now but I would like the code
> > to be cross platform if it as all possible. Anyone here have any
> > suggestions for something light weight?
> >
> > --
> > -Andy
> > "I have a great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." -
> > Edgar Allen Poe

> Take a look at ncurses. I've never used the ruby extension for it,
> but it's a fairly easy way to manipulate the console. There is color
> support. Also, Coderay (http://coderay.rubychan.de/) is a gem that
> colorizes text based on coding language.

Also look at highline (http://highline.rubyforge.org/). It has
themeable colorized output for command line interfaces.

http://highline.rubyforge.org/doc/cl...lorScheme.html

enjoy,

-jeremy

Jeremy Hinegardner jeremy@hinegardner.org

Trans 02-06-2008 07:16 PM

Re: Is there an easy way to color/control console output?

On Feb 5, 7:13 pm, Andy <agunner...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone, is there an easy way for me to color my console
> output? What about updating just a particular x/y coordinate? I
> don't have time to learn Tk right now for a graphical GUI but just
> being able to control the color and locations of what I print out
> would be so nice. I am on windows right now but I would like the code
> to be cross platform if it as all possible. Anyone here have any
> suggestions for something light weight?

If all you need is basic ANSI, ie. color:

$ gem install facets
$ irb

>> require 'facets/ansicode'
>> include Console::ANSICode
>>
>> p red, "Hello", blue, "World"

"\e[31mHello\e[34mWorld"

>> p red{ "Hello" } + blue{ "World" }

"\e[31mHello\e[0m\e[34mWorld\e[0m"

We have Florian Frank to thank for the original version of this lib.

T.

Phlip 02-06-2008 07:45 PM

Andy wrote:
> Hello everyone, is there an easy way for me to color my console
> output?

New question: what's a good escape code to query the current background color?

I dislike colored output that fails to contrast with my console...

> What about updating just a particular x/y coordinate?

Either curses or ncurses, right?

--
Phlip

Andy 02-06-2008 09:52 PM

Re: Is there an easy way to color/control console output?

Thank you all very much for your info and links. It's very much appreciate=
d.