Velocity Reviews

-   -   rubygems/rubyforge question - release, package, group? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t846336-rubygems-rubyforge-question-release-package-group.html)

Rob Sanheim 12-05-2007 03:25 PM

rubygems/rubyforge question - release, package, group?

Hi

Could someone please explain the difference between a release, a
package, and a group when releasing gems to rubyforge (via
rubyforge/hoe)?

What is the convention for a gem in rubyforge when its the 'only'
thing in that project?

thanks,
Rob

http://robsanheim.com
http://thinkrelevance.com

Giles Bowkett 12-05-2007 04:18 PM

Re: rubygems/rubyforge question - release, package, group?

> Could someone please explain the difference between a release, a
> package, and a group when releasing gems to rubyforge (via
> rubyforge/hoe)?
>
> What is the convention for a gem in rubyforge when its the 'only'
> thing in that project?

My hackariffic guesstimate is, I just released the gem file and that
was that. But then again this was just a test release, to see if I
could get the release process working, and I only used Hoe for setting
up the initial dirs etc.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com

Ben Bleything 12-05-2007 04:36 PM

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007, Rob Sanheim wrote:
> Could someone please explain the difference between a release, a
> package, and a group when releasing gems to rubyforge (via
> rubyforge/hoe)?

IIRC, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong:

* group: the project name
* package: the "subproject" in that group
* release: the actual release that the files go into

This is best illustrated with an example:

http://rubyforge.org/projects/laika

The group is "laika", and there are two packages, athenaeum and linen.
If you click the download link for Linen, you'll see that there are a
number of releases, each of which has 3 files.

> What is the convention for a gem in rubyforge when its the 'only'
> thing in that project?

Call the package the same as the group.

Ben