Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to Start (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t846164-how-to-start.html)

Rodolpho Almeida 11-29-2007 06:54 AM

How to Start

Sorry to bug everyone with this, but I am new to all this programing stuff =
and as far as I have seen Ruby is a nice language to start.
=20
I am must interested in Web Applications and as I saw I should use Rails fo=
r it, but I got a little lost on the way, can someone give-me a idea off wh=
ere to look at?
=20
I want to know how to use rails? can Ruby do everything that PHP does? Does=
it work well with MySql? What is the best program to use with Rails?
=20
Again Sorry for bugging
=20
And Thanks for your time.
=20
Rodolpho Almeida
Receba as =FAltimas not=EDcias do Brasil e do mundo direto no seu Messenger=
com Alertas MSN! =C9 GR=C1TIS!
http://alertas.br.msn.com/=

Lee Jarvis 11-29-2007 07:55 AM

Re: How to Start

You should check out the RoR mailing list.

http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/3

Regards,
Lee

Dan Stevens (IAmAI) 11-29-2007 08:30 AM

Re: How to Start

If you're new to programming I'd strongly recommend first learning
some basic programming, without getting involved too much in the web
application side. Rails is very complex framework; even I haven't got
my head round it and I've been programming for years. You might find
this page useful: http://www.squidoo.com/ruby-programming-beginner/

On to your questions:

> I want to know how to use rails?

I recommend this tutorial:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2...on-rails-revi=
sited.html.
That's what I used to get started with rails.

can Ruby do everything that PHP does?

The difference between PHP and Rails is that PHP is simply a mechanism
for embedding programming code in a text file. Ruby on Rails is also
this, but so much more as well. Rails is a whole framework that
supports your web application, providing a great deal of necessary
base architecture for you, allowing to concentrate on the parts of
your web application that make it unique. In PHP, you have to do all
of this yourself. It is my opinion that Rails is more powerful that
PHP.

Does it work well with MySql?

Yes! Very well.

What is the best program to use with Rails?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean text editors/IDEs for
coding or something else? I use gVim for my coding :)