Velocity Reviews

-   -   add binary to gem spec? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t845960-add-binary-to-gem-spec.html)

Giles Bowkett 11-21-2007 06:15 PM

add binary to gem spec?

Hi all - I want to add a Ruby script to a gem, so that users of the
gem get not just the gem itself but also a script in /opt/local/bin
that they can run which packages up some of the functionality on the
command line. Very much like s3sh in the Amazon S3 gem (gem install
aws-s3).

Any pointers to relevant docs? Couldn't find it in the Pickaxe.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com

Luis Lavena 11-21-2007 06:52 PM

Re: add binary to gem spec?

http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/20#executables

Giles Bowkett 11-21-2007 11:26 PM

Re: add binary to gem spec?

> > Any pointers to relevant docs? Couldn't find it in the Pickaxe.
>
> http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/20#executables

Awesome! Thank you.

Jeremy McAnally 11-22-2007 04:06 AM

Re: add binary to gem spec?

Why not just use something like newgem or hoe to build your gem that
will handle this sort of stuff for you?

--Jeremy

On Nov 21, 2007 1:15 PM, Giles Bowkett <gilesb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all - I want to add a Ruby script to a gem, so that users of the
> gem get not just the gem itself but also a script in /opt/local/bin
> that they can run which packages up some of the functionality on the
> command line. Very much like s3sh in the Amazon S3 gem (gem install
> aws-s3).
>
> Any pointers to relevant docs? Couldn't find it in the Pickaxe.
>
> --
> Giles Bowkett
>
> Podcast: http://hollywoodgrit.blogspot.com
> Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
> Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
> Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com

--
http://www.jeremymcanally.com/

My books:
Ruby in Practice
http://www.manning.com/mcanally/

My free Ruby e-book
http://www.humblelittlerubybook.com/

My blogs:
http://www.mrneighborly.com/
http://www.rubyinpractice.com/

Luis Lavena 11-22-2007 12:09 PM

Re: add binary to gem spec?

On Nov 22, 1:06 am, Jeremy McAnally <jeremymcana...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why not just use something like newgem or hoe to build your gem that
> will handle this sort of stuff for you?

Because at the end of the day, you outsource all the core of getting
things working to external tools.

What happen if they are broken? How can you get the picture and maybe
provide a patch to fix the "misbehaving" function?

Having the understanding to do it helps more than letting "magic
happens" for you all the time.

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems

Giles Bowkett 11-22-2007 06:07 PM

Re: add binary to gem spec?

> > Why not just use something like newgem or hoe to build your gem that
> > will handle this sort of stuff for you?

> Because at the end of the day, you outsource all the core of getting
> things working to external tools.
>
> What happen if they are broken? How can you get the picture and maybe
> provide a patch to fix the "misbehaving" function?
>
> Having the understanding to do it helps more than letting "magic
> happens" for you all the time.

I agree with that, but I used Hoe to generate the file structure. I
think I got to a point where Hoe stopped being obvious, and then I
thought, well, if I have to learn something, it's probably faster to
learn Gems.