Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ruby (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f66-ruby.html)
-   -   Watir and Inheritance (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t845119-watir-and-inheritance.html)

Mario Ruiz 10-23-2007 05:22 PM

Watir and Inheritance
 
I'm trying to do this:
-----------------------------
require 'Watir'

class Navigator<Watir::IE
def initialize(maxim)
@maxim=maxim
@iex=Watir::IE.new
end
def go(url)
@iex.goto(url)
if @maxim==1 then
@iex.maximize()
end
end
end

naveg=Navigator.new(1)
naveg.go("http://www.google.es")

puts naveg.url
--------------------------------
I want my 'naveg' object can display the methods and properties of
wakir, url for example. What am I doing wrong?
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.


Kyle Schmitt 10-23-2007 05:30 PM

Re: Watir and Inheritance
 
Without looking at this too indepth...
you are inheriting from Watir::IE, and then making a new instance of
it inside of it? Ehh?

Start off with changing
class Navigator<Watir::IE
to
class Navigator

Now your class will work (but won't be inheriting). I don't know what
you really want to do with your class :) but hey, have fun playing
with it!

--Kyle

On 10/23/07, Mario Ruiz <tcblues@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to do this:
> -----------------------------
> require 'Watir'
>
> class Navigator<Watir::IE
> def initialize(maxim)
> @maxim=maxim
> @iex=Watir::IE.new
> end
> def go(url)
> @iex.goto(url)
> if @maxim==1 then
> @iex.maximize()
> end
> end
> end
>
> naveg=Navigator.new(1)
> naveg.go("http://www.google.es")
>
> puts naveg.url
> --------------------------------
> I want my 'naveg' object can display the methods and properties of
> wakir, url for example. What am I doing wrong?
> --
> Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
>
>



Drew Olson 10-23-2007 05:36 PM

Re: Watir and Inheritance
 
Mario Ruiz wrote:
> I want my 'naveg' object can display the methods and properties of
> wakir, url for example. What am I doing wrong?


You want to call the url method on the @iex object, not the navigator
object. Try this:

require 'Watir'

class Navigator<Watir::IE
def method_misssing(name,*args)
if @iex.respond_to? name
@iex.send(name,*args)
end
end
def initialize(maxim)
@maxim=maxim
@iex=Watir::IE.new
end
def go(url)
@iex.goto(url)
if @maxim==1 then
@iex.maximize()
end
end
end

naveg=Navigator.new(1)
naveg.go("http://www.google.es")

puts naveg.url
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.


Mario Ruiz 10-24-2007 09:29 AM

Re: Watir and Inheritance
 
If I write the class without inheriting, how can I get the 'url' outside
of the class?
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.


Mario Ruiz 10-24-2007 09:31 AM

Re: Watir and Inheritance
 
Drew Olson wrote:
> You want to call the url method on the @iex object, not the navigator
> object. Try this:

...

This is not working.
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.


Jesús Gabriel y Galán 10-24-2007 09:37 AM

Re: Watir and Inheritance
 
On 10/23/07, Mario Ruiz <tcblues@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to do this:
> -----------------------------
> require 'Watir'
>
> class Navigator<Watir::IE
> def initialize(maxim)
> @maxim=maxim
> @iex=Watir::IE.new
> end
> def go(url)
> @iex.goto(url)
> if @maxim==1 then
> @iex.maximize()
> end
> end
> end
>
> naveg=Navigator.new(1)
> naveg.go("http://www.google.es")
>
> puts naveg.url
> --------------------------------
> I want my 'naveg' object can display the methods and properties of
> wakir, url for example. What am I doing wrong?


I think what you are doing wrong is having a Watir::IE object inside
your Navigator class. If you inherit from IE you have all methods in
IE available so you don't need to wrap another instance of IE inside.
Can you try this (not tested):

require 'Watir'

class Navigator<Watir::IE
def initialize(maxim)
@maxim=maxim
end
def go(url)
goto(url)
if @maxim==1 then
maximize()
end
end
end

naveg=Navigator.new(1)
naveg.go("http://www.google.es")

puts naveg.url

Hope this helps,

Jesus.


Mario Ruiz 10-24-2007 09:42 AM

Re: Watir and Inheritance
 
Jesús Gabriel y Galán wrote:...

I'm sorry but it doesn't work because the class doesn't understand the
IE methods without the suffix.
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.


Mario Ruiz 10-24-2007 10:15 AM

Re: Watir and Inheritance
 
By the way the error is:
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/Watir.rb:1341:in `url': undefined method
`LocationURL' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
from tempexample.rb:22
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.


Kyle Schmitt 10-24-2007 12:45 PM

Re: Watir and Inheritance
 
Watir's ie object allows you to get at things like the url using
public methods. Unless the idea really is extending or or replacing
them, inheritance shouldn't be necessary (or probably advised). Well,
that is unless the whole point is to play around with Watir to learn
about it, more than get work done ;)

On 10/24/07, Jes=FAs Gabriel y Gal=E1n <jgabrielygalan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/23/07, Mario Ruiz <tcblues@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to do this:
> > -----------------------------
> > require 'Watir'
> >
> > class Navigator<Watir::IE
> > def initialize(maxim)
> > @maxim=3Dmaxim
> > @iex=3DWatir::IE.new
> > end
> > def go(url)
> > @iex.goto(url)
> > if @maxim=3D=3D1 then
> > @iex.maximize()
> > end
> > end
> > end
> >
> > naveg=3DNavigator.new(1)
> > naveg.go("http://www.google.es")
> >
> > puts naveg.url
> > --------------------------------
> > I want my 'naveg' object can display the methods and properties of
> > wakir, url for example. What am I doing wrong?

>
> I think what you are doing wrong is having a Watir::IE object inside
> your Navigator class. If you inherit from IE you have all methods in
> IE available so you don't need to wrap another instance of IE inside.
> Can you try this (not tested):
>
> require 'Watir'
>
> class Navigator<Watir::IE
> def initialize(maxim)
> @maxim=3Dmaxim
> end
> def go(url)
> goto(url)
> if @maxim=3D=3D1 then
> maximize()
> end
> end
> end
>
> naveg=3DNavigator.new(1)
> naveg.go("http://www.google.es")
>
> puts naveg.url
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Jesus.
>
>



Mario Ruiz 10-24-2007 02:42 PM

Re: Watir and Inheritance
 
Now it works fine.

Thank you very much.
--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.