Velocity Reviews

-   -   1.8/1.9 compiled library binary compatibility (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t844411-1-8-1-9-compiled-library-binary-compatibility.html)

Alex Fenton 09-26-2007 12:30 PM

1.8/1.9 compiled library binary compatibility

Hi

I'm wondering whether extension libraries compiled against 1.8 will work
with 1.9, and/or the other way around.

I know the C API is little-changed, but will people offering add-ons
binaries need to offer two versions?

Also - if it should work, should I be worried about a particular library
if it's not currently working - or just be patient and assume it's down
to 1.9 being work in progress?

ta
alex

Alex Young 09-26-2007 01:05 PM

Re: 1.8/1.9 compiled library binary compatibility

Alex Fenton wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm wondering whether extension libraries compiled against 1.8 will work
> with 1.9, and/or the other way around.
>
> I know the C API is little-changed, but will people offering add-ons
> binaries need to offer two versions?
>
> Also - if it should work, should I be worried about a particular library
> if it's not currently working - or just be patient and assume it's down
> to 1.9 being work in progress?

I was wondering the same thing. More specifically, I was wondering if
Mongrel was working with YARV yet. That then got me wondering if the IO
patterns Zed Shaw seemed to be frustrated with in MRI had been fixed in
YARV, and whether we'd (fingers crossed) see even more of a speed bump
to serving HTTP at some point in the future. Just call me foolishly
optimistic if you like :-)

--
Alex

Nobuyoshi Nakada 09-26-2007 04:12 PM

Re: 1.8/1.9 compiled library binary compatibility

Hi,

At Wed, 26 Sep 2007 21:35:03 +0900,
Alex Fenton wrote in [ruby-talk:271038]:
> I'm wondering whether extension libraries compiled against 1.8 will work
> with 1.9, and/or the other way around.

No, impossible in both cases. For instance, object type flags
were added/changed in 1.9, and also structs.

--
Nobu Nakada