Velocity Reviews

-   -   Programming Ruby For Newbies (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t843788-programming-ruby-for-newbies.html)

Jin Dynasty 09-04-2007 01:18 AM

Programming Ruby For Newbies

Howdy there,
I have always been interested in programming. I looked for books, but it
treated me like a pro. Please let me state now: I have not done any
programming before.

I looked around, and Ruby seems most appealing to me, so I picked it as
a first language; my mother tongue. :-P

Now what do I want? I am looking for a programming Ruby for dummies, for
those who haven't type a single command line in their lifetime. Now I
tried to read Programming Ruby, commonly called The Pickaxe, but again,
the reader was treated as the book's subject aficionado.

To sum up my rambling in one sentence: I want a programming ruby guide
for dummies.

I'm not asking for you to do my simple search on the net, I'm asking for
your recommendation or referrals.

Thanks in advanced,
Jin

dblack@wobblini.net 09-04-2007 02:03 AM

Re: Programming Ruby For Newbies

Hi --

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Jin Dynasty wrote:

> Howdy there,
> I have always been interested in programming. I looked for books, but it
> treated me like a pro. Please let me state now: I have not done any
> programming before.
>
> I looked around, and Ruby seems most appealing to me, so I picked it as
> a first language; my mother tongue. :-P
>
> Now what do I want? I am looking for a programming Ruby for dummies, for
> those who haven't type a single command line in their lifetime. Now I
> tried to read Programming Ruby, commonly called The Pickaxe, but again,
> the reader was treated as the book's subject aficionado.
>
> To sum up my rambling in one sentence: I want a programming ruby guide
> for dummies.
>
> I'm not asking for you to do my simple search on the net, I'm asking for
> your recommendation or referrals.

You should check out Chris Pine's book "Learn to Program", which is an
intro to programming that uses Ruby to teach you.

http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/

David

--
* Books:
* Ruby/Rails training

Tim Hunter 09-04-2007 02:08 AM

Jin Dynasty wrote:
> Howdy there,
> I have always been interested in programming. I looked for books, but it
> treated me like a pro. Please let me state now: I have not done any
> programming before.
>
> I looked around, and Ruby seems most appealing to me, so I picked it as
> a first language; my mother tongue. :-P
>
> Now what do I want? I am looking for a programming Ruby for dummies, for
> those who haven't type a single command line in their lifetime. Now I
> tried to read Programming Ruby, commonly called The Pickaxe, but again,
> the reader was treated as the book's subject aficionado.
>
> To sum up my rambling in one sentence: I want a programming ruby guide
> for dummies.

Check out Peter Cooper's _Beginning_Ruby_, from Apress.

--
RMagick OS X Installer [http://rubyforge.org/projects/rmagick/]
RMagick Hints & Tips [http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=1618]

Mohit Sindhwani 09-04-2007 03:13 AM

dblack@wobblini.net wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Jin Dynasty wrote:
>
>> Howdy there,
>> I have always been interested in programming. I looked for books, but it
>> treated me like a pro. Please let me state now: I have not done any
>> programming before.
>>
>> I looked around, and Ruby seems most appealing to me, so I picked it as
>> a first language; my mother tongue. :-P
>>
>> Now what do I want? I am looking for a programming Ruby for dummies, for
>> those who haven't type a single command line in their lifetime. Now I
>> tried to read Programming Ruby, commonly called The Pickaxe, but again,
>> the reader was treated as the book's subject aficionado.
>>
>> To sum up my rambling in one sentence: I want a programming ruby guide
>> for dummies.
>>
>> I'm not asking for you to do my simple search on the net, I'm asking for
>> your recommendation or referrals.

> You should check out Chris Pine's book "Learn to Program", which is an
> intro to programming that uses Ruby to teach you.
>
> http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/
>

> David

I agree - I strongly recommend this one!

Cheers,
Mohit.
9/4/2007 | 11:12 AM.

Jonathan Denni 09-04-2007 06:35 AM

Mohit Sindhwani wrote:
> dblack@wobblini.net wrote:
>>> a first language; my mother tongue. :-P
>>> your recommendation or referrals.

>> You should check out Chris Pine's book "Learn to Program", which is an
>> intro to programming that uses Ruby to teach you.
>>
>> http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/
>>

>> David
>>

> I agree - I strongly recommend this one!
>
> Cheers,
> Mohit.
> 9/4/2007 | 11:12 AM.

I second that second!

Ruby is my first language as well, and Chris Pine's book was essential!
Buy it. It's worth it.

Thomas Wieczorek 09-04-2007 06:40 AM

2007/9/4, Jin Dynasty <jin.the.miner@gmail.com>:

> Now what do I want? I am looking for a programming Ruby for dummies, for
> those who haven't type a single command line in their lifetime. Now I
> tried to read Programming Ruby, commonly called The Pickaxe, but again,
> the reader was treated as the book's subject aficionado.

I really love why's guide: http://poignantguide.net/ruby/ It woke the
interest for Ruby in me and kept me digging deeper in it. I love the
cartoons and the crazy sidebars

7stud -- 09-04-2007 11:30 AM

Jin Dynasty wrote:
> Now I
> tried to read Programming Ruby, commonly called The Pickaxe, but again,
> the reader was treated as the book's subject aficionado.

I'm reading it now, and I agree with you--a newcomer to programming has
no chance of understanding it, so don't feel bad.

John Joyce 09-04-2007 11:48 AM

Re: Programming Ruby For Newbies

The Pickaxe is best as a reference or a starting point for
experienced programmers, but indispensible as a reference book for Ruby.
Chris Pine's "Learning to Program" is excellent for anyone completely
new to programming.
After that, Peter Cooper's book, Beginning Ruby, From Novice to
Professional, might not make you professional (that's the Apress
series subtitle, but it will take you on a tour of lots of things you
can do with Ruby.
This mailing list is also definitely the right place for questions.

Thomas Wieczorek 09-04-2007 12:42 PM

2007/9/4, Thomas Wieczorek <wieczo.yo@googlemail.com>:

> I really love why's guide: http://poignantguide.net/ruby/ It woke the
> interest for Ruby in me and kept me digging deeper in it. I love the
> cartoons and the crazy sidebars

Ah, there's also a book form of why's guide, but I can't find the shop
right now.

rgossen 09-04-2007 02:46 PM

Re: Programming Ruby For Newbies

I am also a Ruby and programming newb, and I have bought countless
books. I would recommend that you start with Chris Pine's "Learn to
Program." From there, I would go with David Black's "Ruby for Rails,"
particularly if you plan to get into Rails. Other responses mentioned
Peter Cooper's "Beginning Ruby" and I found that to be a good book as
well.

Rahlyn