Velocity Reviews

-   -   Preparing Data For Statistical Analysis and Reporting (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t842704-preparing-data-for-statistical-analysis-and-reporting.html)

Robert 07-24-2007 09:09 PM

Preparing Data For Statistical Analysis and Reporting

How much data munging is done by Ruby-ists?

If you need some tools for preparing data for analysis, transforming
data, and cleaning data up, there are some tools to check out at:

http://directory.fsf.org/math/stats

including:

Vilno
DAP
PSPP

DAP is an open-source version of SAS
PSPP is an open-source version of SPSS
Vilno uses it's own language for data transformation, similar to SQL
SELECT, SAS, and SPSS.

For statistics itself, I am rather curious about Apophenia
( apparently a C library for statistics that can be called by any
statistics package).

Robert

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky 07-25-2007 01:50 AM

Re: Preparing Data For Statistical Analysis and Reporting

Robert wrote:
> How much data munging is done by Ruby-ists?
>
> If you need some tools for preparing data for analysis, transforming
> data, and cleaning data up, there are some tools to check out at:
>
> http://directory.fsf.org/math/stats
>
> including:
>
> Vilno
> DAP
> PSPP
>
> DAP is an open-source version of SAS
> PSPP is an open-source version of SPSS
> Vilno uses it's own language for data transformation, similar to SQL
> SELECT, SAS, and SPSS.
>
> For statistics itself, I am rather curious about Apophenia
> ( apparently a C library for statistics that can be called by any
> statistics package).
>

> Robert

Thanks for the pointers! This is actually something I do a lot in my day
job. Most of the data extraction is done in Perl, mostly because Ruby
didn't exist when I wrote most of the code. If there were a couple other
Ruby programmers around, I'd port it to Ruby/Rails/Ruport.

Nearly all of the statistics I do is in R, also an open source project.
There is an R-Ruby bridge called "RSRuby", so that would be another way
to get into this.

Nearly everything I do these days is large enough that I use either SQL
Server or PostgreSQL to manage the datasets. By the end of the year I
expect it will all be in PostgreSQL -- the SQL Server licenses are too
expensive.