Velocity Reviews

-   -   Listing of hosts in a LAN or domain name group? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t841713-listing-of-hosts-in-a-lan-or-domain-name-group.html)

gga 06-21-2007 04:51 AM

Listing of hosts in a LAN or domain name group?

What's the preferred ruby way of listing hosts in a LAN or within a
domain group?

In particular, I am interested in 4 things:
- Listing all connected hosts in a LAN / domain group (assuming
there could be some hosts
that appear and disappear, like wifi hosts -- ie. not just /etc/
hosts ).
- Listing all hosts with a particular condition (say, allowing
authenticated ssh connections).
- Avoiding any hosts that are not in a trusted group (say,
iptables).
- Doing it fast.

I'm interested in Linux, mainly, but if the solution is multiplatform,
the better.